User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

I do the laugh at a funny memory thing, but no mental conversations ever.

Maybe it is because I don't really think in words.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by stalemate View Post
    I do the laugh at a funny memory thing, but no mental conversations ever.

Maybe it is because I don't really think in words.
    Interesting. I think in words and abstract images. When I am remembering a funny memory, it's usually a conversation. Is your memory an image?
    http://bohemianextrovert.wordpress.com/
    Please excuse the long drawn out ramble above.
    I have to hear what I've said before I know what I think.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by angelhair45 View Post
    Interesting. I think in words and abstract images. When I am remembering a funny memory, it's usually a conversation. Is your memory an image?
    No, it is hard to explain. We had a thread here not long ago about do you think in images or something. I think it might have been in the bonfire...

Anyway, I just kind of think in ideas and I almost have lines between ideas in my head where I just follow along the lines from one to the next. I don't really have any words or images really. I can't describe it because it isn't like anything concrete at all.

Even recalling a conversation I don't replay the words in my head. I just recall it as a unit.

Oh and often times if I am speaking there is this total separation between the abstractness in my head and the noise coming out of my mouth. I will be aware that words are coming out and still be thinking of the abstract thing in my head and not thinking of words, not consciously. It is really a weird feeling. Usually after a couple of seconds my brain gets out of abstract weird land and gets in the moment of the conversation, but those few seconds are really odd.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by stalemate View Post
    No, it is hard to explain. We had a thread here not long ago about do you think in images or something. I think it might have been in the bonfire...

Anyway, I just kind of think in ideas and I almost have lines between ideas in my head where I just follow along the lines from one to the next. I don't really have any words or images really. I can't describe it because it isn't like anything concrete at all.

Even recalling a conversation I don't replay the words in my head. I just recall it as a unit.
    I love hearing how other people think. My thoughts are very abstract and all over the place. A lot of times when I try to think about a certain conversation or situation in my head then everything really gets crazy. Sometimes I can direct my mind, and other times it just shows me stuff.
    http://bohemianextrovert.wordpress.com/
    Please excuse the long drawn out ramble above.
    I have to hear what I've said before I know what I think.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by angelhair45 View Post
    Sometimes I can direct my mind, and other times it just shows me stuff.
    Same here.

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I have conversations in my head all the time. A lot of it is constantly working through the semantics of how to articulate my thoughts. More often than not, my thoughts- as they occur to me- are too vague and cryptic to express off the cuff. I’d constantly be speaking in metaphors that wouldn’t be very intelligible to other people if I didn’t have imaginary conversations to translate them into everyday language.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Do you speak out loud?
    Every once in a while I do this, if something occurs to me that I really want/need to remember. Saying it alound helps me remember it later.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Maybe I should make clear that (at least in my case) this is not about consciously practicing scenarios (like one might practice a job interview) or a method applied to discuss the pros and cons of an issue but something I slide into and only realize I am doing when I´m already way at it.
    This is often the case for me too, though I do sometimes do it on purpose. It’s usually when some event happens in which I have a strong point to make but find myself unable to clearly articulate it- so it’s when I have something specific I want to focus on that I intentionally ‘practice’ talking about it in my head first. Otherwise it’s just random conversations I slide into because I’m not paying attention. [Although I have noticed they have some relevance to what’s going on in my life when I stop to reflect on it.]
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

Glycerine

I make up imaginary conversations and talk to myself.

MBTI
    INFJ

I screen dialogue and conversations that I write for stories by rehearsing them out loud to myself to make sure they sound good. This has gone as far as me waking up at 6 AM and talking to myself in a terrible fake Russian accent to gauge how it sounded for a scene.

I enjoy my brand of insanity.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I just argue with myself, outloud.

Sometimes if I have to confront someone I imagine how it's going to pan out and what I'll say and what they'll say and usually I'm disappointed because it never pans out the way I imagined it would. (The only time it did, I got kicked out of my parents house, so maybe it's good that it doesn't?)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Yes, in fact, this is one of the only ways I tend to think in words - probably because it moves me to convert other types of thought into words so I can communicate my thoughts outloud at some point.

I imagine talking to someone else (a person I made up, a fictional person someone else made up, real people I know, real people I don't know who are dead or alive, etc), but of course it's really me. I will play devil's advocate with myself, explain things to myself to better understand them, and I'll just have imaginary conversations for pure amusement.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe