User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one having imaginary conversations?

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Do you speak out loud?
    As for myself, I don't speak out loud in general. I might utter some words when I feel absolutely certain that I am alone or that they wouldn't be heard. I do have strong control over that because I hate to be embarrassed and I already know that when I get into my deep thought stage, nothing else exists anymore. But I still do care enough to make sure not to be embarrassed in public.

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Im not nf, but i do this nearly all the time. I also imagine situations, on what i say in them, do in them, what others do and say in them.

When there is something bothering me it can help me to figure out things that i wouldnt normally get. But most the time i just do this for fun.
    Yes! I do that as well from time to time. And it is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Is your imaginary person funnier than you are?
    No one i know is funnier than I am am.

And like I said sweetheart the other person is ME saying things that the real person wouldn't say because it would offend others.

5w4 sp/sx

So relieved to hear that! Maybe I should make clear that (at least in my case) this is not about consciously practicing scenarios (like one might practice a job interview) or a method applied to discuss the pros and cons of an issue but something I slide into and only realize I am doing when I´m already way at it.
    No, I don´t speak out loud, lol, that would mean hearing my own voice which in turn would draw me back into reality boring that would be!
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I should add that I have had imaginary conversations with both fictional and real people, dead and alive, people I know and people I never met, since my teens.

Anyone else doing this?
    All the time!
    "There can be no understanding between the hands and the head unless the heart acts as mediator." (Metropolis, 1927)

Post-Humorously Array stalemate's Avatar

I can't relate to this at all.

I do, all the time, all the time, all the time, at least 4 times a day... but they are not properly structured conversations. They're usually small bits where I have to elaborate on something to that specific person.

Its not like I unclude the Hi, how are you's and the take cares.... having etiquette with my internal ghosts would be waaay too self-conscious and I'd say, kind of schizo.

But I'm not a psychiatrist.

"Neurotic, ha!"
    I let out a scornful laugh.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell.
    I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days.

— Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar.

Junior Member Array tigerlily113's Avatar

I do that too, but for me it's more like i have imaginary conversations with people that i actually want to talk to. Like, if there's something that i want to say to someone but i'm too shy or will never have the chance to say it. I'm much more confident and eloquent in my mind than i am in real life.
    When life gives you lemons, make apple juice. Then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" -Dumbledore

And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise.
    The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.
    -Sylvia Plath

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlily113 View Post
    I do that too, but for me it's more like i have imaginary conversations with people that i actually want to talk to. Like, if there's something that i want to say to someone but i'm too shy or will never have the chance to say it. I'm much more confident and eloquent in my mind than i am in real life.
    I do this all the time. Although I tend to pace a lot and to utter a few words and sometimes I ask the questions for them.
    Yes? No? Yes. No. Oh! Oh no. Yes?

I do it too.

For me, it's the most effective way to learn something; i pretend i'm explaining what i've just read/heard to someone who doesn't know anything about it, forcing myself to put it in layman's terms. Meanwhile, i try to have the imaginary person ask me questions for me to answer. It's really effective because if there's anything about the material i don't quite understand, i'm confronted with it. If only i had known about this method when i was still in school, perhaps i wouldn't have messed up so bad

But i talk to myself all the time. I just don't necessarily imagine another person. Sometimes i do, sometimes i don't. Either way, it tends to be more of a monologue.
    ik sprokkel wat dagen, drop baggage,
    soms heb ik geen zin om die koffers te dragen,
    ik laat los, los het op, word onzichtbaar
    en geef de buitenlucht wat ruimte terug
    dus.. nu zit ik op m'n fiets alsof het niets is,
    maar niets kan toch niet uit zichzelf pedalen laten draaien?

~ Typhoon

Senior Member Array angelhair45's Avatar

I do this all the time, and always thought everyone else did too until recently.

I have conversations and situations with dead, alive, and fictional people all the time.

Another thing my brother (entp) and I are famous for is sitting alone and suddenly cracking up laughing at some funny memory of the past. It was a running joke between us growing up because we both did it so often. I still do it a lot.

I also talk to myself, and noticed I actually whisper out loud to myself a lot. My son does it too. The other conversations are generally in my head.
    Please excuse the long drawn out ramble above.
    I have to hear what I've said before I know what I think.