First 23456 Last

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Something that helps buy food, clothes, pay for education, health care, buy a house, and other pragmatic things. Sometimes money is used to buy not so practical things too. I see it as a means of achieving an end, rather than an end in itself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I hate it. Well i hate what it symbolises and what it produces...power greed to name but two. Yes i need enough to pay the bills and buy food etc but some of my happiest times have been when i have struggled for cash. Having money is necessary for many things but i'm not materialistic, i have plenty for my needs. I think it can be a hindrance too.
    I'm rich in far more valuable things than money.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

I can't decide if I want to answer how I feel about my relationship with money or what I think about the concept of money in general.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Abstract Thinker View Post
    I have a long-held theory about this. I know it is idealized, but this is how I see money:

The word "money" can be replaced by the word "goodwill" in any sentence.

That's why stealing is a universal crime. Because money (goodwill) needs to be given or earned... never taken. It also might explain why lottery winners never seem to be happy in the long run. Because that large amount of "goodwill" was won, not earned, and therefore not appreciated as much, nor even "deserved" in some small sense. I have other examples that satisfy my theory, but I'll keep them to myself because I'm trying to write shorter posts.

So, my definition is this: Money is an abstraction that represents the amount of goodwill we've earned. One needs money to thrive in a structured society just like one needs goodwill to thrive in that same society.
    Money is definitely an abstraction. A placeholder. It represents something. I'm not 100% sure if I'm sold on your "goodwill" idea but it seems close.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by stalemate View Post
    I can't decide if I want to answer how I feel about my relationship with money or what I think about the concept of money in general.
    ooh...i think both should be interesting. let's have it!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFP

I like making enough of it to not have to think about it very much...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    ooh...i think both should be interesting. let's have it!
    Well... my relationship with money is kind of weird. I obsess about it a little bit. I am not materialistic but I think about it a lot. I track every cent and I try hard to save. Some of this probably traces back to a hang up I have where once in a while I feel like my life has been too easy up to this point and it will eventually fall apart. I get this sense of impending doom. I think trying to obsessively track my money fits into that. It isn't that I'm stingy with it. I buy whatever I want basically, but I have to work it into my plan and keep emergency funds and stuff. I get nervous if I don't have that.

As for money in general, I don't really like the idea of it, but I also see it as an abstraction like what Abstract Thinker posted. Whether or not you call it 'money' I have trouble picturing society evolving any other way. As soon as people start trading stuff, the abstraction is inevitable.

And then there is another aspect where I find physical money extremely cumbersome and I wish it could all just happen virtually. I shouldn't have to have a card or anything. I just want to be able to will my money around virtually. Why do I need a physical representation of it?

Also, there is a part of me in the back of my mind that just thinks everyone should be able to have everything they want, and why do we need to trade and buy and sell from each other. I know it sounds communist and has been tried to some extent and failed, and I don't expect it to ever actually be this way, but as long as I am dreaming...

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

You can buy drugs with it.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by stalemate View Post
    Money is definitely an abstraction. A placeholder. It represents something. I'm not 100% sure if I'm sold on your "goodwill" idea but it seems close.
    I think ideally it would be "goodwill", but in this world yeah, I'm not so sure either. Were this the case, people who provide good and necessary services to the people (ie. plumbers, social workers, etc.) would be making a lot more than they are

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo
    You can buy drugs with it.
    This
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Introverted Feeling (46.7)
    Extraverted Intuition (45.7)
    Introverted Intuition (37.5)
    Introverted Thinking(26.5)
    Extraverted Feeling (25.4)
    Extraverted Thinking (22.1)
    Extraverted Sensing (19.5)
    Introverted Sensing (17.0)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I think money's a pretty cool guy eh, buys hookers and doesn't afraid of anything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole