• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFP girlfriend confusing me! Help!

fecaleagle

MBTI Type
INTj
Hey everyone. So I've been dating an ENFP girl for 3 years, and our relationship has been as close to perfect as can be. I adore everything about her! I simply cannot even find the words to express how great we are together and how great I think we will make eachother's futures. She has helped me grow so much and vice versa, and I don't see that ever stopping. Sexual chemistry is untoppable. I even easily look past the silly mistakes she makes most of the time because I love her so much and want to spend the rest of my life with her. The great thing is that her flaws have become less and less over time, as she has matured. All future plans I make are made with her in mind.

Now, over the past 6 months or so, I've been dealing with a lot of internal issues, which have spilled over into the relationship unfortunately. My mom almost passed away (I had accepted that she was gone), I've had the stress of trying to get into school, and have been dealing with some minor relationship issues. These issues at first seemed like a huge deal to me, but after a few months I have almost completely gotten over them, and have been working on getting them 100% out of my mind, so I can redirect all my loving energy into the relationship once again. Things have been looking great lately, until recently when I got really angry at my girlfriend for what now seems like a stupid reason. I was in INTJ rage mode, and under the influence of painkillers (back pain), I was saying things I couldn't even control and I knew I didn't mean them when I was saying them but I just felt really really hurt. My words were harsh, yes, and I did not mean any of what I said, I guess I was in protective mode. Anyways, I ended up overreacting and "breaking up" with her. I woke up the next morning regretting the "decision", but tried to hide my regret because of pride. Basically I said we should break up just to hurt her, and apologized, but she says that it was still a breakup because she was heartbroken for a day. Even though I had no intentions on breaking up I was just being an idiot, and have expressed that to her. Anyways, I told her how much she means to me and that what I said were simply words, without of my true emotions attached. Since then, she has been acting super cold to me. She says we are taking a break, and that she wants to work on getting back together, but her actions says otherwise, like we are breaking up but she needs to be 100% sure or something. Then, all the sudden she claims that she doesn't think that I think she is the girl for me and that we should break up. It really seems like she is being super vindictive for no reason, and hurting my feelings much more than I could have hurt hers, since she has been doing this for 2 weeks. I've agreed that I will communicate more and force myself not to overreact in these rare times. I've even expressed how I want to spend the rest of my life with her because we are perfect for eachother, but it seems like she doesn't believe me or something! Or thinks that I do not know what I want. Ha, an INTJ not knowing what they want? I feel like she thinks that I'm trying to trick her or something, which would make NO sense for an INTJ to do! If I wasn't 100% sure I wanted to fight any obstacle for us to be together because I know I've found my soulmate, I wouldn't even be trying right now. My default mode, naturally, is single-mode, and I know that being in a relationship hasn't changed that. So the fact that I'm still in it should say everything. However, I have truly reached my breaking point. I don't hold any negative feelings for her, but I can't help but feel that her love for me was never or will never be as strong as mine was for her, and am struggling to understand how she can stand to see me suffer past a point of justice. I have been dying to hold her in my arms, but she seems to have no interest in me anymore. What should I do? Should I just suck it up, cut off my contact with her, and move on? Knowing I'll be miserable, and force myself to get with other girls even though the thought sickens me? It just makes no sense, because she HAS to know how much I love her, and I THOUGHT that she loved me back, but maybe I was completely wrong? We were "soulmates" and then overnight we are not? It's weird because the week before she told me how good of a bf I was and it made me so happy, and made me want to be an even better guy, and then I got completely blind-sided. Makes no sense, I know. Is it possible she's interested in another guy? I am very emotional right now, and super hurt because a smart girl is about to make a dumb decision because she is emotionally overwhelmed, and time doesn't seem to be helping. It's only causing her to dwell on her fabricated versions of such events

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
The part that stood out most for me after reading the thread.. what I got was that it doesn't seem like both 'perceptions' about 'one another' matched up in the relationship for various possible reasons.

I don't know her personally. Please take with a grain of salt. If I were in her shoes? I've blindsided people I've been with in long-term relationships b4. Usually, it had A LOT to do with how much I'm willing to take.

Even when I put on a happy face, I'm still hurt inside from the things that caused me pain. I look past the obstacles, but at the same time, I slowly start to let go.. the relationship becomes dead when I start to feel disrespected, not appreciated, taken for granted of.. I'll stick in there to give it a 'shot,' but those shots eventually wear off until.. the opportunity ceases and I flee.

In her case- saying she really doesn't think she's the one for you sounds like she made up her mind a while ago. A relationship can be 'dead' to me for a while for me to wake up and realize when it really is. Then my 'leaving' comes as a surprise, or illogical, when it's not, because I've been done/over it for quite some time, but was in 'denial' or afraid to 'let go' due to the (unhealthy) attachments I felt.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The part that stood out most for me after reading the thread.. what I got was that it doesn't seem like both 'perceptions' about 'one another' matched up in the relationship for various possible reasons.

I don't know her personally. Please take with a grain of salt. If I were in her shoes? I've blindsided people I've been with in long-term relationships b4. Usually, it had A LOT to do with how much I'm willing to take.

Even when I put on a happy face, I'm still hurt inside from the things that caused me pain. I look past the obstacles, but at the same time, I slowly start to let go.. the relationship becomes dead when I start to feel disrespected, not appreciated, taken for granted of.. I'll stick in there to give it a 'shot,' but those shots eventually wear off until.. the opportunity ceases and I flee.

In her case- saying she really doesn't think she's the one for you sounds like she made up her mind a while ago. A relationship can be 'dead' to me for a while for me to wake up and realize when it really is. Then my 'leaving' comes as a surprise, or illogical, when it's not, because I've been done/over it for quite some time, but was in 'denial' or afraid to 'let go' due to the (unhealthy) attachments I felt.

As someone whose darkest memories (of betrayal & other things) lie with an ENFP: that makes a lot of sense. Thanks, kiddykat.

I'll come back later when I've thought things through. I feel inarticulate at the moment.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it's possible you hurt her beyond repair and killed it right there and she's disengaging....trust is very important...very...she may no longer feel she can trust you not to hurt her.

fecaleagle

MBTI Type
INTj

The thing is, I always showed her respect, always told her how much she means to me, and we were just so happy together. Just a few months ago she wrote on a card how we were soulmates and she even recently mentioned how she wanted to spend the rest of her life with me. I've also told her I agree, but I guess I could've been more open in these more serious emotional situations. I've always been there to help her through any problem, and to minimize her pain and distress. It just doesn't make sense that she would give up so quickly. I mean now she is bringing up random things I've said where she completely misinterpreted me but showed no emotional reaction until now, when I have explained to her what I really meant that apologized that my words could have hurt her. Nothing major at all here. She just seems to be focusing on a few bad things I have SAID (many of them misinterpreted) and completely ignoring all my loving ACTIONS

edit: The only other thing I can think of is how some of her family members don't like me much because they know nothing about me, and blame it on me because I am so introverted. They expect me to suck up to them and make me like me. So as an ENFP I can see how she wants to please everyone

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
First of all, I find your devotion very touching.

Second, my first impression is that she is deeply, deeply hurt by what you said to her. Even though you told her you didn't mean it, the fact is you said it. The Ne makes it hard for (for example) me to keep 'facts' straight. Saying things you don't mean really confuses me and leaves me unsure about what is really happening. Even after you apologize and explain that you didn't mean it, the words are probably still running through her head over and over again. Also, was what you said, did it contain any ounce of truth? Did you throw her flaws in her face? From that impression, I'd say to be patient and give her time. Sorry that you are hurting and just wants to know the answer but I think she has a lot of information and her own perceptions to sort through and it will take a bit. Have you told her what you written in this post? Write it down for her, perhaps? Words sometimes enter my mind and just leaves out the ears when I am overwhelmed and stuck inside my Ne mode.

xNFPs don't often say things they do not believe/feel, even to hurt the other person. We even keep the truth to ourselves because we don't want to hurt the person we care about, even if it is a big flaw. It'd have to be really bad for us to take that 'knowledge' and throw it in a person's face.

Another possibility is what KittyKat said, but that wasn't my first impression, but I am also not ENFP.

(by the time i finished this post, more people have posted...)

Lady X: "it's possible you hurt her beyond repair and killed it right there and she's disengaging....trust is very important...very...she may no longer feel she can trust you not to hurt her."

^ YES! YES! It doesn't make rational sense perhaps, but when we get close to someone, we get really, really close and when the other person hurts us deeply, even if we want to go backwards, sometimes we just...can't. I blame this on Fi.

fecaleagle

MBTI Type
INTj
it's possible you hurt her beyond repair and killed it right there and she's disengaging....trust is very important...very...she may no longer feel she can trust you not to hurt her.

I apologized for momentarily being selfish, rash, and an asshole. I have told her that I would be very appreciative if she could find it in her heart to be able to trust me again, and allow me to prove to her that she means the world to me and always has. I have told her that from now on please express when you feel emotionally hurt so we can work on the issue right then, which will end up being miscommunication most of the time! The thing about the trust issue..I lost all trust in her 8 months ago, and after I saw how much she kept telling me that she loved me, I decided to let her regain my trust which she had nearly done by this point. I don't see why I don't deserve the same chance, considering that she lost my trust via ACTIONS and I lost her trust via WORDS

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The thing is, I always showed her respect, always told her how much she means to me, and we were just so happy together. Just a few months ago she wrote on a card how we were soulmates and she even recently mentioned how she wanted to spend the rest of her life with me. I've also told her I agree, but I guess I could've been more open in these more serious emotional situations.

Perhaps your girlfriend assumed that amount your enthusiasm/openness = amount of your love?

It just doesn't make sense that she would give up so quickly. I mean now she is bringing up random things I've said where she completely misinterpreted me but showed no emotional reaction until now, when I have explained to her what I really meant that apologized that my words could have hurt her.

Exactly the same problems I had with an ENFP in my life. I think ENFP's in general aren't very upfront about these things... correct me if I'm wrong, fellow ENFP's on board. My sample size is about 5 IRL ENFP's.

Nothing major at all here. She just seems to be focusing on a few bad things I have SAID (many of them misinterpreted) and completely ignoring all my loving ACTIONS

Yes, I can relate to this (with the ENFP I had problems with IRL).

fecaleagle

MBTI Type
INTj
First of all, I find your devotion very touching.

Second, my first impression is that she is deeply, deeply hurt by what you said to her. Even though you told her you didn't mean it, the fact is you said it. The Ne makes it hard for (for example) me to keep 'facts' straight. Saying things you don't mean really confuses me and leaves me unsure about what is really happening. Even after you apologize and explain that you didn't mean it, the words are probably still running through her head over and over again. Also, was what you said, did it contain any ounce of truth? Did you throw her flaws in her face? From that impression, I'd say to be patient and give her time. Sorry that you are hurting and just wants to know the answer but I think she has a lot of information and her own perceptions to sort through and it will take a bit. Have you told her what you written in this post? Write it down for her, perhaps? Words sometimes enter my mind and just leaves out the ears when I am overwhelmed and stuck inside my Ne mode.

xNFPs don't often say things they do not believe/feel, even to hurt the other person. We even keep the truth to ourselves because we don't want to hurt the person we care about, even if it is a big flaw. It'd have to be really bad for us to take that 'knowledge' and throw it in a person's face.

Another possibility is what KittyKat said, but that wasn't my first impression, but I am also not ENFP.

(by the time i finished this post, more people have posted...)

Lady X: "it's possible you hurt her beyond repair and killed it right there and she's disengaging....trust is very important...very...she may no longer feel she can trust you not to hurt her."

^ YES! YES!

As for exactly what I said during that night, one of the things I said was that she doesn't care about comforting me and doesn't care about how my days go. She said that really upset her. The thing is, I didn't mean it at all, and none of my ACTIONS correspond to any of that. That's the thing! Everyone always says actions speak louder than words. My actions and intentions have always been true, but now she has taken these meaningless words that I said out of hurt and has chosen to believe those words and ignore 3 years of my actions. I already explained that I didn't mean any of it and I told her to look at how I act towards her. Look at how badly I want to see her, talk to her, tell her what's on my mind, open parts of myself to her that I've never exposed to another person, hold her. ALL BECAUSE THIS ALL PROVIDES ME COMFORT, WHICH SHE NOW THINKS SHE DOESN'T PROVIDE ME. All because she is taking my stupid, irrational, selfish words from one conversation and using it to define the integrity of our relationship. But she keeps saying that she doesn't understand where those words would come from if they didn't have an ounce of truth. I just keep trying to explain that that's how an INTJ brain can operate, detached like that, and devoid of all true emotions. Almost robotic I guess, in an desperate attempt to self-protect. I said that I would never ever do that again because now for the first time in our 3 year relationship I see how things like that can hurt her and it pains me to know that I have caused her so much pain :(

I get the feeling that she has convinced herself that I don't value her when I always have. We live 1.5 hours apart currently, and haven't seen eachother in over a month, and we usually are dying to see each other every weekend. She has chosen to do this all via telephone. If she loved me wouldn't she want to at least see me? She just keeps making plans with friends to get over me or something. How can she even enjoy herself? I can't even eat because I feel like I've lost the 1 person in life that was specifically tailored to all of my needs :( We are just so great together! But I'm afraid that she's paranoid about my true feelings because she can't stop playing those stupid words in her head over and over again

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As for exactly what I said during that night, one of the things I said was that she doesn't care about comforting me and doesn't care about how my days go.

That's probably one of the worst things to tell an ENFP, or any NF for that matter. If anyone cares at all, it's an NF. They know this, I think.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
that's a very good point kiddykat...it's like you view them and the relationship as this beautiful sparking perfect diamond and then in one instant it's shattered...beyond repair. :(

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
^ Maybe not the 'you don't care about me' accusation but it might have been interpreted to her as 'whatever you said wasn't enough to comfort me/however you expressed your care wasn't enough (good enough).'

fecaleagle

MBTI Type
INTj
Perhaps your girlfriend assumed that amount your enthusiasm/openness = amount of your love?

She understands INTJs very well I feel like, and especially me because I am a unique INTJ with many INTP qualities, which she has said makes me so perfect for her. I really thought that all of the cuddling, kissing, ridiculously awesome sex, compliments (all of which I really really enjoyed), THOUGHTFUL gifts, and talking on the phone (I did this just to make her happy because I hate non-face-to-face contact). I kind of felt like I was going over the top given my personality type. We have helped each other grow so much and I hate to see that end. Sorry I'm babbling which I never do, hopefully I am coherent.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
that's a very good point kiddykat...it's like you view them and the relationship as this beautiful sparking perfect diamond and then in one instant it's shattered...beyond repair. :(
how did this post here? before the post that i responded too. :shock:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
omg i'm tripping out.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
i think this thread is being weird...lady x....or we are both tripping...

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I apologized for momentarily being selfish, rash, and an asshole. I have told her that I would be very appreciative if she could find it in her heart to be able to trust me again, and allow me to prove to her that she means the world to me and always has. I have told her that from now on please express when you feel emotionally hurt so we can work on the issue right then, which will end up being miscommunication most of the time! The thing about the trust issue..I lost all trust in her 8 months ago, and after I saw how much she kept telling me that she loved me, I decided to let her regain my trust which she had nearly done by this point. I don't see why I don't deserve the same chance, considering that she lost my trust via ACTIONS and I lost her trust via WORDS

i am sorry you're hurting and i can see to you words don't hold much weight but she may not feel the same...like rebe said...hurtful words get replayed constantly...until it becomes impossible to trust that you did not mean them...she may very much want to work it out...but can't help but hear those words when she looks at you and feel the hurt all over again.

i think lots of open conversation with lots of emotional expression might help tho so fight for her if it's worth it to you.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
The thing is, I always showed her respect, always told her how much she means to me, and we were just so happy together. Just a few months ago she wrote on a card how we were soulmates and she even recently mentioned how she wanted to spend the rest of her life with me. I've also told her I agree, but I guess I could've been more open in these more serious emotional situations. I've always been there to help her through any problem, and to minimize her pain and distress. It just doesn't make sense that she would give up so quickly. I mean now she is bringing up random things I've said where she completely misinterpreted me but showed no emotional reaction until now, when I have explained to her what I really meant that apologized that my words could have hurt her. Nothing major at all here. She just seems to be focusing on a few bad things I have SAID (many of them misinterpreted) and completely ignoring all my loving ACTIONS

edit: The only other thing I can think of is how some of her family members don't like me much because they know nothing about me, and blame it on me because I am so introverted. They expect me to suck up to them and make me like me. So as an ENFP I can see how she wants to please everyone
With family, I could give 2 shits worth what they think about the guy I'm dating, not unless they agree. If I'm into someone, I don't care to please.

About her bringing up the 'small' issues- sounds so much like what I do. To me- trust is IMPORTANT.. Like Lady_X says- VERY important. Little things that's said & done, say the most to me. I'm not talking about the significant other as a 'person,' but how they treat the relationship from get-go.

I think for me, how I see it is- my partner either has my back or doesn't. Should he be in pain or suffering through family turbulence, I am 'there' to support him (friends too). I'm loyal in a sense that I dedicate my time/efforts wholeheartedly. I don't halfass, because that would be like living a lie.

So when I'm 'there' and certain things that are said/done that show a lack of 'caring' shuts me off completely, in that I don't think I will ever be able to see that person in the light I once 'thought'. I have a tendency to 'over-idealize' people/situations, drawing conclusions like stuff about 'soul-mates' when that one moment occurs- the final drop of a needle- I'm brought back to reality, and realize maybe I was delusional. Then I wish that person luck, because in my mind, if there really was an 'element' of respect, then those words, those thoughts, those actions, would NOT occur in the first place.

Since she's her, and I'm me, being ENFP will not mean that my answer is her's. Tell her exactly what's posted here and show you're willing to work things out. Then again, my ex even had us attend a 'couple's therapy' session, and my motive was to get out.. I know I sound neggers right now, but that's the truth about how I work.. Once trust is broken, I don't know how I can repair my perceptions of our happiest moments, compensated for that 'one' point in time in which I felt that degree of pain that lasted longer than I wished.. With friends I'm somewhat forgiving, but not really. Respect is there or it isn't, I think. I forgive depending on what it is. Hard to forget.

fecaleagle

MBTI Type
INTj
I just don't get it. It was a lie I said because I guess I subconsciously knew it would hurt her, but did not realize how sensitive an ENFP can be. If someone said that to me and then told me they didn't mean it and they were sincere, I would be like okay just don't do that again. I wouldn't reanalyze and entire relationship based on one lie. But now I know, and have vowed to never purposely hurt her again. Everyone makes mistakes right? Mine wasn't even calculated. Why can't she see that? I've explained exactly where I was coming from, and provided countless examples of how I truly think she is supportive of me and cares about me

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
maybe give her more time. a month isn't that long. let her spend time alone and with other guys and maybe she will realize that she wants to work things out with you (once she realize the slim pickings :) )

sometimes, we just need to let our emotions process, however illogical they may be and once the storm has calmed, she can see the facts, history, actions and hear what you have been telling her and return to you with a clean plate. we need to slam the door to process, otherwise, we just get more and more confused by all the new information.