Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I actually think I need some relating for romantic vibes to happen also.... .
    I absolutely have to have it. It's a must.

ReflecTcelfeR

What usually creates the strongest connection?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I absolutely have to have it. It's a must.
    Yes, but why? Because you cannot feel love without identification?

All these questions are reminding me of a quote attributed to Roseanne Barr:

"Men are concerned with cause. Women are concerned with effect."
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I am just curious why it seems central to you. Or, perhaps it is not a consciously understood thing?

Do you feel disconnected if you do not relate? Does this disconnection cause you discomfort?
    Yeah, I'm one of those poor saps who would be like, even if I had billions of dollars and everything else I had ever wanted, but didn't have love, I would feel empty and sad.

Relationships with other people are kind of what it's all about for me, I guess. I don't just mean romantic relationships, of course.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yes, but why? Because you cannot feel love without identification?

All these questions are reminding me of a quote attributed to Roseanne Barr:

"Men are concerned with cause. Women are concerned with effect."
    Yeah I don't know how to answer your question. To me what you're talking about sounds like objectification, not love.

I don't think I'm going be able to give you an answer that makes sense to you.

ReflecTcelfeR

How do you deal with those that you can't make a connection with?

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

See, I actively cross boundaries because I want to know how their mechanism works and what they'll do. And I want to know if I can affect others in some way. And if I can affect them, what happens and why?
    I do respect the intention to explore what is easily accepted and unchallenged. I find crossing this minefield to be kinda scary. I am worried about causing offense or being in an uncomfortable situation.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    IDK if it's Fi, but I know my boundaries can be markedly different from other people.

Someone had to tell me not to hug a male friend of mine, as it sent the wrong signal - I was like "What?!" :eek:. I have a habit of hugging the host/hostess, and didn't realize it came off as singling him out . But yet, I am careful not to flirt in the way I see other women do. I also get weirdly private about stuff others see as just fine to share.
    Yeah, my boundaries don't exactly match others. I tend to do things that feel right to me and I never know if my behaviour is giving people different signals than I intend.

I have a good male friend (an INTJ if that matters) and I always used to be uncertain of how his girlfriend felt about our friendship and whether it made her uncomfortable. At one point in time I often used to go around to his flat and sit around alone with him in his room, talking and looking at stuff on his computer. His girlfriend (who lived with him) would chat with us for a while and then often would disappear with an excuse of working on an assignment or something the like. At the time this was no big deal but I realised afterward what an amazing girlfriend she was. She was leaving us alone intentionally so we could spend time together.

As a footnote: this couple are now engaged and I am such good friends with both of them, that I have been asked to choose between being a bridesmaid or a best 'man'
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Yeah, I'm one of those poor saps who would be like, even if I had billions of dollars and everything else I had ever wanted, but didn't have love, I would feel empty and sad.

Relationships with other people are kind of what it's all about for me, I guess. I don't just mean romantic relationships, of course.
    I have a theory that women feel this connectedness more naturally because they grow up with the idea that someone else can grow from their body. And with luck, they will eventually conceive a child and experience this. And since they grow up thinking about this, they also are aware that all people came from someone else's body and that in a real way we are directly connected to one another. By bonds of flesh and blood and soul.

I think men, because they lack this fundamental anatomical reality, have to learn to connect. It is not as innate or natural.

We will never have another person growing inside us or really inside us at all. And even our genitals are separated from our bodies such that we are disconnected even from our own sexual feeling.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Interesting. So you have to relate to have access to any emotional intimacy? And by relating you mean that you have to feel that something is being shared between the two of you?
    Yes...but it need not be extremely literal. It's more abstract than identifying directly with a feeling/experience. I've mentioned in many INFP threads about extrapolating from personal feeling to understand somewhat foreign ones - it's something like that.

This requires vulnerability of course, which may be the issue with some men not relating easily.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I have a theory that women feel this connectedness more naturally because they grow up with the idea that someone else can grow from their body. And with luck, they will eventually conceive a child and experience this. And since they grow up thinking about this, they also are aware that all people came from someone else's body and that in a real way we are directly connected to one another. By bonds of flesh and blood and soul.

I think men, because they lack this fundamental anatomical reality, have to learn to connect. It is not as innate or natural.

We will never have another person growing inside us or really inside us at all. And even our genitals are separated from our bodies such that we are disconnected even from our own sexual feeling.
    Interesting...I've definitely always seen intercourse as more physically vulnerable for a woman for similar reasons.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe