User Tag List

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Default Do you have trouble describing people?

This is something I have wondered about if it is related to type at all or if I'm just weird.

I can't physically describe people at all. The concept does not even make sense to me. If I'm asked "What does she look like?" I just give a blank stare. Over the years my wife has taught me that people are looking for clothing style, hair color, that type of thing when they ask the question. I used to not even understand what people were asking me at all.

If I meet a new person and I am later telling my other friends about the new person, someone will always ask what they looked like. When I don't know, they say something like "you aren't very observant." But, I will know all kinds of things about the person, just not the physical stuff. I'll know how old their kids are, how long they have been married, how much they like their job, all this kind of stuff, but I can't tell you if they were wearing glasses or not.

Does anyone else have this problem?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

haha!! yeah totally...my sister has heard me describe her husband to someone and she said erin!! he doesn't have blond hair!!
    things like that happen all the time.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

ReflecTcelfeR

That would be your inferior function Si showing itself right there.

And yes. I have a hard time remembering anything physical, but conversations can last for months running through my head.

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

I tend to be decent at describing people. I more so remember their mannerisms over all else though. Course, i think it's silly to try to describe people if the person you're describing to has no idea who you're on about.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I think it's harder to describe personality than looks.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

I forget people's faces, people who I spend like every day with for half a year or even longer than that. I have a 'vague' image of them in my head but their features are often blurry. I question if I can recognize my ex-es on the streets at first glance - they'd have to stand right in front of me and say my name. Otherwise I wouldn't notice. This could be because I am like half-blind too and don't wear glasses when out. Hmm, inferior Si or poor eyesight, hmm, both I guess. I can describe people's personalities REALLY well, but their appearance, meh, what else is there besides height, weight, race, hair-ish color...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by stalemate View Post
    I can't physically describe people at all. [...] But, I will know all kinds of things about the person, just not the physical stuff. I'll know how old their kids are, how long they have been married, how much they like their job, all this kind of stuff, but I can't tell you if they were wearing glasses or not.

Does anyone else have this problem?
    Mm-hm. Although I don't think it's a problem, more a quirk I have to make a conscious effort to "observe" someone's style of dress or other physical characteristics. I don't notice them initially, but I do get an overall sense of if I really like their style, for example, or if I don't. That may be unusual. I do enjoy knowing little personal things about people, so I'm likely to remember them foremost. It just makes sense to me to describe a person by revealing little parts of their personality; I believe most people do it to some degree (i.e., she's shy, she's married, she's the one with the neurotic co-workers).

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

I can't say I do. I remember years ago it being pointed out to me that someone I knew couldn't describe anyone. And it was the most bizarre realisation, it's still strange when I think about it, I mean what *is* happening when you think of things? I can't imagine, my whole memory is very visual.