• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What to do when you feel like you can't trust your intuition anymore?

Lightyear

In the last 2 years I feel like I have fallen on my face repeatedly jobwise and relationshipwise (mainly friendships), my intuition tells me about all these amazing possibilities but then reality comes to hit me in the face. (It reminds me of this Calvin and Hobbes strip where Calvin says: "Reality continues to ruin my life.")

So at the moment I might still see all these possibilities but I try to ignore them and keep my expectations low in order to avoid another disappointment. Any idea what to do about that, how to use one's intuition in a healthy way?

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Intuition compliments. I don't think it should be a use all to end all.
Intuition makes unrelated connections or reads between the lines. It tells you SOMETHING is not what it seems. But it rarely tells you what.
So if you don't use your senses and objectivity to decipher the message or if you rely only on intuition or Fi to decipher it. you are going to get things wrong sometimes, most times.
Your funtions can and should work in conjunction with each other and none of them should be ignored or completely trusted without the input of others.

Just my 2 cents

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Intuition compliments. I don't think it should be a use all to end all.
Intuition makes unrelated connections or reads between the lines. It tells you SOMETHING is not what it seems. But it rarely tells you what.
So if you don't use your senses and objectivity to decipher the message or if you rely only on intuition or Fi to decipher it. you are going to get things wrong sometimes, most times.
Your funtions can and should work in conjunction with each other and none of them should be ignored or completely trusted without the input of others.

Just my 2 cents

I was going to write a more thorough response, but Arclight said it perfectly. Intuition can be a guide. But you have to do a reality check against the concrete reality of the situation. I think of one of my favorite proverbs of all time:

"Trust in Allah, but tie up your camel."

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
In the last 2 years I feel like I have fallen on my face repeatedly jobwise and relationshipwise (mainly friendships), my intuition tells me about all these amazing possibilities but then reality comes to hit me in the face. (It reminds me of this Calvin and Hobbes strip where Calvin says: "Reality continues to ruin my life.")

So at the moment I might still see all these possibilities but I try to ignore them and keep my expectations low in order to avoid another disappointment. Any idea what to do about that, how to use one's intuition in a healthy way?
When this happens, I tell myself that even though I may perceive things a certain way, it doesn't mean that others will perceive things the same way as I do.

In other words, things that happen in our lives are interdependent. I may feel a certain way, but the causal outcome depends on the other parties involved as well- like a whole group-dynamic effort.

I then vest my energies back towards my own internal locus of control- since really, even when life can get chaotic on the outside, if we're clear with things on the inside, then even disappointments may phase us, but not quite as much. <--- Re-framing from different perspectives, refocusing on things that I can take control of my life- my thoughts, feelings, actions.

I love this quote, not sure if I read it somewhere or made it up based on what I read: "Pure heart. Pure mind. Sound spirit." It's a way of taking back the power in our lives. If others have the intent to harm us or if situations don't turn out the way we like, if we're clear on who we are, our intent/priorities, then nothing will hurt us to the extent of extremes. Like a protective shield- it deflects/re-balances. I find that when people are malicious and seek out to hurt others, they're really hurting themselves. They self-destruct, as well as the environment that's toxic. By reminding myself of this quote, I feel reassured. It reminds me of re-prioritizing what I want in my life- happiness/content.

Really? In the end? For me- it's all about sleeping well at night!:yes: (I like to keep the cortisol levels down). *blush*

May sound a little naiive, but it's true. That's how I deal with it. Hope this helps!:smile:

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

As you age and gain expirence, your intuition sharpens. You know things. You just do. But sometimes someone else can see something you can't. Especially if you are overly emotionally invested in certain things or relationships. Once you become emotionally invested your intuition is not as effective. Not at all.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
As you age and gain expirence, your intuition sharpens. You know things. You just do. But sometimes someone else can see something you can't. Especially if you are overly emotionally invested in certain things or relationships. Once you become emotionally invested your intuition is not as effective. Not at all.

This is very interesting.
And I can think of instances where I might not agree.
But this is definitively something I have not considered and seems to hold some serious merit and I wonder why I haven't quite thought this before :huh:

Nice!