• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] The INFP smile

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Ok, I've seen this being mentioned a couple of times in several threads, including the latest about Beefeater's photo in the picture thread.

So, what is the description of this smile?

To INFPs, How do you practice it? Do you have a specific thought/emotion that causes this smile?

To others, what information does this smile convey to you?

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
Description/Specific Thought: Hi, I don't really know you but here's a smile to ease the mood. I am a little bit shy and a little bit nervous and a little bit I don't know what I am doing, so here take a smile just to ease things up.

"During conversation INFps have a tendency to maintain eye contact and to touch their interlocutors hand. They often have a very noticeable shy grin that appears when they worried or excited, or when someone focuses other's attention on them." - Intuitive-Ethical Intratim - INFp (The Romantic)

No, I don't practice this. I did not really notice I do this.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
i don't know what the INFP smile is, I have a pretty good idea based on another INFP I know though...

I usually forget to smile entirely.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Description/Specific Thought: Hi, I don't really know you but here's a smile to ease the mood. I am a little bit shy and a little bit nervous and a little bit I don't know what I am doing, so here take a smile just to ease things up.

"During conversation INFps have a tendency to maintain eye contact and to touch their interlocutors hand. They often have a very noticeable shy grin that appears when they worried or excited, or when someone focuses other's attention on them." - Intuitive-Ethical Intratim - INFp (The Romantic)

that is hilarious...i love it. that's exactly how i read that smile too. :smile:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ehh...:blush:

I use it as my 'plz be nice to me'-shield when I feel insecure and vulnerable but cannot escape the situation.

I'll also use the more confident variant to put others at ease (often with a soft touch on their wrist or shoulder), who are feeling unsure of themselves.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I cannot really explain when I do it or how I feel when doing so, but I tend to show that specific shy smile often.

Oh well, eye contact was always difficult for me (bit less now) and I sure as hell won't TOUCH other people why talking with them.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I heard I have INFP eyes.. but never an INFP smile..
This could be well due to the rarity of my smile.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What that smile, where the left corner of your mouth is more turned up than your right.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Here are 4 versions of my smile.

The half grin.
10521_1295424746086_1244360135_30918508_6242509_n.jpg

The I know something you don't (Mona Lisa) smile
n1244360135_30349533_8451.jpg

The aint I cool and collected? smile
18966_1349925628574_1244360135_31065097_8209654_n.jpg

And the I'm trying not to smile, but something I just thought of,made me smile anyway,smile
29172_1526220915846_1244360135_31511812_1648521_n.jpg

demimondaine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
oh no.. i'm afraid i come across more "pedophile" than "amelie"..
my smile says "i'm a bit shy, but not unpleasant."
or
"i don't like my teeth!" :alttongue:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I really don't see a pattern... :huh:

My smile is either

amelie460.jpg

I do a smile something like this... closed mouth, looking down with the sideglance up & raised brows. I also tilt my head that way - I have a lot of photos at a similar angle & my family always says that's how I angle my head in person.

I used to hide my mouth/face when I laughed/smiled too, but not anymore. Not quite as shy anymore, I guess. I have a rather big, goofy grin when I actually do laugh (thanks dad :doh: ), and I've been told I laugh with my whole body, even throw my head back a bit (thanks mom :doh: ). I definitely don't get that "sheepish" look.

I normally make eye contact in conversation, except when I smile I look down and then maybe do a sideglance. I almost never touch people in conversation - I find that very awkward.

And like a few here, I don't smile all that often. I'm often prompted to by people :dry:. When I do smile, it probably is a shy/nervous thing - something I've consciously adopted to offset the "aloof" vibes I give - or I'm actually laughing.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP

that description is so vague...

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I used to hide my mouth/face when I laughed/smiled too, but not anymore. Not quite as shy anymore, I guess.

It's been the opposite for me. I've never done it until about a couple years ago.

I have a rather big, goofy grin when I actually do laugh (thanks dad :doh: ), and I've been told I laugh with my whole body, even throw my head back a bit (thanks mom :doh: ). I definitely don't get that "sheepish" look.

I normally make eye contact in conversation, except when I smile I look down and then maybe do a sideglance. I almost never touch people in conversation - I find that very awkward.

And like a few here, I don't smile all that often. I'm often prompted to by people :dry:. When I do smile, it probably is a shy/nervous thing - something I've consciously adopted to offset the "aloof" vibes I give - or I'm actually laughing.

Laughing is a whole other thing entirely. Mine has always been very hearty: my shoulders shake a bit, I too throw my head back a little, and if it's hilarious the laughing tears will come. Though, having picked up on the vibe of other INFPs here, I don't think that sort of appreciative, exuberant, open-mouthed laughter is typical. I may be wrong, I don't know, but I've always done it and am still very much INFP :)

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I really don't see a pattern... :huh:

I do a smile something like this... closed mouth, looking down with the sideglance up & raised brows. I also tilt my head that way - I have a lot of photos at a similar angle & my family always says that's how I angle my head in person.

I used to hide my mouth/face when I laughed/smiled too, but not anymore. Not quite as shy anymore, I guess. I have a rather big, goofy grin when I actually do laugh (thanks dad :doh: ), and I've been told I laugh with my whole body, even throw my head back a bit (thanks mom :doh: ). I definitely don't get that "sheepish" look.

It's been the opposite for me. I've never done it until about a couple years ago.

Laughing is a whole other thing entirely. Mine has always been very hearty: my shoulders shake a bit, I too throw my head back a little, and if it's hilarious the laughing tears will come. Though, having picked up on the vibe of other INFPs here, I don't think that sort of appreciative, exuberant, open-mouthed laughter is typical. I may be wrong, I don't know, but I've always done it and am still very much INFP :)

Hmm.. these 2 posts make me wonder. I don't laugh very often either.
If I stay in half control , I end up almost hissing.
But more often I don't and It's the same description .. when I do laugh, it's very hearty and I throw my head back and my body shakes and I often literally keel over.
Maybe this is common??

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
The smile I give to someone I pass on the street: Nervous, wide-eyed type that you give a dog you think may bite.

Somebody compliments me: Sincere, modest grin.

Laughing: Cover my mouth...

Laughing hysterically: Crazy "I just escaped the mental hospital and I'm here to kill all of you." smile...

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
WTF, INFPs can't have a monopoly on touching people while exposing them to creepy smiles! :steam:
In Soviet Russia, people touch INFPs and make creepy smile!