• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] The INFP smile

Neutralpov

phlegmatic smile

Aren't most INFP's phlegmatic or just generally the emotion is muted or hidden. INFP I know always tries hard to show a big smile and I can still see obviously they are phlegmatic as with the INTP I know. Just can. It is hard to try to equate with us choleric people who can't hold back our intensity and beaming enthusiasm. :smile:

E

Epiphany

Aren't most INFP's phlegmatic or just generally the emotion is muted or hidden. INFP I know always tries hard to show a big smile and I can still see obviously they are phlegmatic as with the INTP I know. Just can. It is hard to try to equate with us choleric people who can't hold back our intensity and beaming enthusiasm. :smile:

I thought INFPs were mostly Melancholic.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
^ Haha.

(Melancholic)
Developer (INFJ)
Director (INTJ)
Inspector (ISTJ)
Operator (ISTP)

(Phlegmatic)
Clarifier (INFP)
Theorizer (INTP)
Supporter (ISFJ)
Producer (ISFP)

BRMC117

is an ambi-turner
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w2
this is me ( it really creeps people out but I love it
Smiley+%3DD.png

Beorn

Permabanned
Great. I go away for a week or so and people start comparing me to pedophiles... such is life.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
I wanna eat your face.

E

Epiphany

^ Haha.

(Melancholic)
Developer (INFJ)
Director (INTJ)
Inspector (ISTJ)
Operator (ISTP)

(Phlegmatic)
Clarifier (INFP)
Theorizer (INTP)
Supporter (ISFJ)
Producer (ISFP)

Disagree.

Yes, I am melancholic. I think INFP e4s may tend to be melancholic and INFP e9s may tend to be phlegmatic.

Agree. I've found several sources that make different correlations to INFP, but I definitely relate more to melancholic than phlegmatic.

Melancholic - A person who is a thoughtful ponderer has a melancholic disposition. Often very considerate, melancholics can be highly creative in activities such as poetry and art - and can become occupied with the tragedy and cruelty in the world. A melancholic is also often a perfectionist. They are often self-reliant and independent.

Affection Strengths In The Melancholy: Very faithful, loyal friends and self-sacrificing. Their feelings run deep and tender (even though they lack the ability to express these feelings). They easily empathize with others and have the ability to make very deep commitments.

Affection Weaknesses In The Melancholy: They are critical of others, angry, cruel, vengeful, emotional, rarely tell people how they feel, have a low self-image and are sensitive to rejection from deep relationships. The loss of a deep relationship (even by death) is devastating to them.
(Sounds more relative to Type 4)

Phlegmatic - Phlegmatics tend to be self-content and kind. They can be very accepting and affectionate. They may be very receptive and shy and often prefer stability to uncertainty and change. They are very consistent, relaxed, rational, curious, and observant, making them good administrators and diplomats.

Because of their tendency to uninvolvement, they are natural negotiators and diplomats. “Peace at all costs” is their motto. The Phlegmatic has no fear of rejection and can handle unaffectionate and hostile people. They are calm, easygoing people who are not plagued with the emotional outbursts, exaggerated feelings, anger, bitterness or unforgiveness as are other temperaments. They are observers who do not get involved nor expend much energy.

Affection Weaknesses of The Phlegmatic: Unwillingness to become involved in deep relationships, tendency to be an observer only, rarely self-sacrificing, unemotional and inexpressive. Verbal defenses are used to protect low energy supply with regard to physical and sexual involvement. (Sounds more e9 than e4)

Neutralpov

hey how cool

Disagree.

Agree. I've found several sources that make different correlations to INFP, but I definitely relate more to melancholic than phlegmatic.

Melancholic - A person who is a thoughtful ponderer has a melancholic disposition. Often very considerate, melancholics can be highly creative in activities such as poetry and art - and can become occupied with the tragedy and cruelty in the world. A melancholic is also often a perfectionist. They are often self-reliant and independent.

Affection Strengths In The Melancholy: Very faithful, loyal friends and self-sacrificing. Their feelings run deep and tender (even though they lack the ability to express these feelings). They easily empathize with others and have the ability to make very deep commitments.

Affection Weaknesses In The Melancholy: They are critical of others, angry, cruel, vengeful, emotional, rarely tell people how they feel, have a low self-image and are sensitive to rejection from deep relationships. The loss of a deep relationship (even by death) is devastating to them.
(Sounds more relative to Type 4)

Phlegmatic - Phlegmatics tend to be self-content and kind. They can be very accepting and affectionate. They may be very receptive and shy and often prefer stability to uncertainty and change. They are very consistent, relaxed, rational, curious, and observant, making them good administrators and diplomats.

Because of their tendency to uninvolvement, they are natural negotiators and diplomats. “Peace at all costs” is their motto. The Phlegmatic has no fear of rejection and can handle unaffectionate and hostile people. They are calm, easygoing people who are not plagued with the emotional outbursts, exaggerated feelings, anger, bitterness or unforgiveness as are other temperaments. They are observers who do not get involved nor expend much energy.

Affection Weaknesses of The Phlegmatic: Unwillingness to become involved in deep relationships, tendency to be an observer only, rarely self-sacrificing, unemotional and inexpressive. Verbal defenses are used to protect low energy supply with regard to physical and sexual involvement. (Sounds more e9 than e4)

This is really good stuff! Do you have the rest for us choleric and sanguines? I googled your post and couldn't find the source.

Also I took a 4 humors test to see (OneIshy :: Personality/Temperament) and it even delineated strengths and weaknesses of the 4 humors. It said I am a Sanguine/Melancholy which was surprising I always thought I was straight choleric. But I have the strengths of a sanguine and the weakness of melancholy. interesting test. (makes sense when I withdraw in stress that I would be first sanguine then melancholy later on).

E

Epiphany

This is really good stuff! Do you have the rest for us choleric and sanguines? I googled your post and couldn't find the source.

Also I took a 4 humors test to see (OneIshy :: Personality/Temperament) and it even delineated strengths and weaknesses of the 4 humors. It said I am a Sanguine/Melancholy which was surprising I always thought I was straight choleric. But I have the strengths of a sanguine and the weakness of melancholy. interesting test. (makes sense when I withdraw in stress that I would be first sanguine then melancholy later on).

Some of it is from Wikipedia. The rest...I'm not sure. I was just browsing the web.

Arise ancient thread! Arise!

Wtf is an INFP smile? You mean my hi I’m awkward and shy closed mouthed barely registers as a smile smile? Or the rare left side half smile that screams I’m up to no good smile that sometimes finds itself on my face? Do we have a secret handshake I’m unaware of?

I’ll take my leave and return this time of legends thread to it’s place in the mist.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Arise ancient thread! Arise!

Wtf is an INFP smile? You mean my hi I’m awkward and shy closed mouthed barely registers as a smile smile? Or the rare left side half smile that screams I’m up to no good smile that sometimes finds itself on my face? Do we have a secret handshake I’m unaware of?

I’ll take my leave and return this time of legends thread to it’s place in the mist.

Fi smile = sneering, kind of like a wolf snarling

Fe smile = wide and charming

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Fi smile = sneering, kind of like a wolf snarling

Fe smile = wide and charming

In my experience, this is accurate. Fi smiles will always turn upwards and slightly crinkle the nose area (snarl), pushing up their whole faces in the process. Fe smiles are symmetrical, moving in a more side motion. They're also appear boxed into the mouth area in comparison to the Fi smile. Fe smiles are considered very aesthetically pleasing for the eye.

Kas

Fabula rasa
I don't relate to sneering smile nor being a flegmatic.

I am melancholic>> sanquinic and my facial expressions are rather vivid same way as in case of children- I don't control them much. Whether I am very happy or very sad, I won't talk much of it (at least unless I know someone well), but probably you won't have a problem to notice.

VRose

My INFP smile: A stranger. Crap. I should smile to be friendly and snow that I am harmless. *strained smile* Oh hell, she wasn't looking. Oh no! Eye contact! Now she thinks I'm staring! Quick! Smile again! *maniacal grin* Embarrassed blush. Mental face palm. What was that? God, this is akward.

I just need a simple smile that says "I'm a happy, harmless person, you seem very nice and I honor your existence as a unique and wonderful gift to the world just please don't try to talk to me."

AdmiralAndGirlsDesu

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
For me there are 3 kinds of smiles:
1. The fake kind to cover up awkwardness, or just because of social niceties.

2. The kind that is triggered by something specific but insignificant, such as a joke, a funny video, or a funny thought in your head.

3. The genuine kind that comes from a content life, when you think of those you love, when you are in touch with your soul.

I've experienced 1 and 2, yet to experience 3 in the truest sense.