• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Seeing a guide dog = instant tears for me

Abstract Thinker

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm trying to share more IRL, and I'll get started by sharing online, so please allow me this small indulgence. I just moved to the city from the South, and I need to break out of my comfy little shell in some small way. It's a little bit of therapy I guess. So, here goes:

Whenever I see a guide dog (seeing-eye dog) doing its job, I cry a little... instantly and invariably. And my heart hurts in the BEST way. Not sobs or anything, but my eyes do fill with tears.

It doesn't matter what mood I'm in, what I'm doing, or where I'm going -- I have to stop and watch, and smile. And I think the world isn't so bad after all, because here is a perfect creature, right in front of me.

The impulse to hug that dog and protect it forever from any and all pain, and somehow tell it that I think it is perfect, and that I love it, is completely overwhelming. But I'm happy to just stand there and cry and smile.

Animals are without sin, and animals that help us like that are angels, right here on Earth. I think it's the closest to believing in God that I will ever get.

Confession: I saw one yesterday and one this morning, and just thinking about them, and typing this, is making me cry. Sheesh! :cry:

And yes, I cry easily and often, but never for sadness or anger... always for beauty or empathy. And those service animals are pure and perfect beauty, at least to me.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That's really cute, but I think it was HUMANS who decided that a random Fido Blow was going to be "compassionate and serving." They're tools, just like a walker or a motorized wheelchair is.

No need to ruin your mascara over it. ;)

SinistralPal

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Whenever I see a guide-dog, I think "OMG! I FUCKING WANT ONE OF THOSE!" They are the coolest shit ever. Like, they are even allowed INSIDE! Gah, if I ever lose my vision cuz of shrapnel fighin' in 'nam or something, I am totally getting one.

une_autre

MBTI Type
ESTP
Animals are without sin, and animals that help us like that are angels, right here on Earth. I think it's the closest to believing in God that I will ever get.

And yes, I cry easily and often, but never for sadness or anger... always for beauty. And those service animals are pure and perfect beauty, at least to me.

Sure they are the pure expression of beauty - especially when they decide to pee on your bed.

Service animals are just dogs like any other dogs and they are in no way perfect creatures.

Idealizing them like this is a bit naive I think. Surely you must not have owned a dog before.

Abstract Thinker

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
That's really cute, but I think it was HUMANS who decided that a random Fido Blow was going to be "compassionate and serving." They're tools, just like a walker or a motorized wheelchair is.

No need to ruin your mascara over it. ;)

You know, I was thinking about that too yesterday after I saw one of them... that the people who trained that dog are the real heroes. But I guess it's just the idea that something can serve without ego, expectations, or agenda that gets to me.

I know I'm projecting some kind of internal thing I've got going on to the dog -- it's just doing what it was trained to do after all, but I can't help it. It's not a choice to feel so strongly when I see them -- it just is. It's been like that for years. Sometimes I try to look away, but it never works. :)

My ex-wife and I owned six cats and a Malamute at one time, so I'm definitely an animal person, but this is quite different. I loved our pets of course, but the service animals just get to me. Can't explain it.

Abstract Thinker

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Idealizing them like this is a bit naive I think.

I get what you're saying, but to me it doesn't seem naive. It just grabs me for some reason. I guess I project onto them my personal desire to help and to serve, but without ANY agenda. It's impossible for me to do that though, to not have an agenda. If I'm honest with myself (and I try to be), there's always an agenda, even if it's just to make myself feel good.

I've never been in therapy, but I wonder what a therapist would assign to this (admittedly) odd and overly-powerful response.

Surely you must not have owned a dog before.
Here's my Denali. He was a joy in every way.

denali_in_flowers-600.jpg

denali_on_the_beach_600-2.jpg

Abstract Thinker

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Like, they are even allowed INSIDE!

The one I saw yesterday was helping his blind owner get on the Metro, and the dog waited in line, and even moved over to let some other folks get on the train first, then he led his human on board... safely.

They're tools, just like a walker or a motorized wheelchair is.

Let's see a walker or a motorized wheelchair do that for a blind person. ;)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ Honestly I don't think there's anything wrong with your reaction. Yes, it's on the more extreme/intense end of things, but I understand your reason for having it.

I, too, have a strong affinity for all living things, and what makes most (all?) other animals different from us is the lack of ability to consciously/willfully harm. A lack of purposeful intent behind their behaviors. I think there's beauty in that, when contrasted with us.

SinistralPal

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I think that this might really be interesting for you to read:

Companion Animals as Self-Objects

This study was conducted by Sue-Ellen Brown and was published in 2007. It aimed to see if aspects of self psychology could be applied to human-animal relationships. Self psychology was founded by Heinz Kohut in the mid 20th century, and focuses on empathy as a core need for healthy human development and self understanding. Suppliers of this empathy, which produces feelings of calmness, acceptance, and self-esteem in the receiver, are called selfobjects. These can range from people to places to ideas. This paper examined whether animals could be selfobjects for people, and if so, to identify if the selfobject was fulfilling mirroring, idealizing, or twinship needs. In addition, this study utilized a new method of qualitative study in the field of self psychology. A one-hour semi-structured interview was consisting of questions designed to reveal selfobject needs and fulfillment was implemented. Results from this test were compiled to analyze if selfobject needs were being met. It was found that animals were able to be selfobjects for people and to fulfill mirroring, idealizing, and twinship needs.

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
LOL! It really is a combination of the dog and the trainers. All the training in the world would do no good if the dog chosen for the job didn't have a high intelligence level and a good temperament.

Dogs really are incredible animals though. I tend to get shelter dogs and like working/hunting breeds. There seems to be no end to what they can learn (with the right breeds). My heeler has some issues from being abused and neglected before he wound up in the shelter, but its amazing how quickly he learns and adapts. Lil' furbastard is too smart for my own good. :)

Wouldn't trade the neurotic lil mutt for the world though.

YER MY BOY, BLUE!!!
picture.php

Abstract Thinker

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
..the lack of ability to consciously/willfully harm. A lack of purposeful intent behind their behaviors. I think there's beauty in that, when contrasted with us.

Exactly! There's the root of my reaction, I think. As in idealist I guess I anthropomorphize the dog, and I wish (boy how I wish) that I could be that pure again.

---

The other part of it is this: that dog is so gentle and helpful... yes, but try to harm it's owner and watch out! Pure rage with no fear will be unleashed (pardon the pun).

I'm the same... gentle and kind, but if you hurt (or even threaten) someone I love, watch out. There are several foolish men out there who mistook my kindness for weakness and threatened one of my loved ones. They instantly regretted it. I'm certain they will think twice next time.

Abstract Thinker

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
@Phoenix_400: Beautiful! Just look at that face! :)

And, thank you for saving those shelter dogs, Phoenix.

IMO, we are 100% responsible for all dogs and cats -- we made them out of their larger and wilder cousins, and for our own use and pleasure. That makes us responsible for them all.

Abstract Thinker

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think that this might really be interesting for you to read:

Companion Animals as Self-Objects

This study was conducted by Sue-Ellen Brown and was published in 2007. It aimed to see if aspects of self psychology could be applied to human-animal relationships. Self psychology was founded by Heinz Kohut in the mid 20th century, and focuses on empathy as a core need for healthy human development and self understanding. Suppliers of this empathy, which produces feelings of calmness, acceptance, and self-esteem in the receiver, are called selfobjects. These can range from people to places to ideas. This paper examined whether animals could be selfobjects for people, and if so, to identify if the selfobject was fulfilling mirroring, idealizing, or twinship needs. In addition, this study utilized a new method of qualitative study in the field of self psychology. A one-hour semi-structured interview was consisting of questions designed to reveal selfobject needs and fulfillment was implemented. Results from this test were compiled to analyze if selfobject needs were being met. It was found that animals were able to be selfobjects for people and to fulfill mirroring, idealizing, and twinship needs.

Wow, thanks for the link, and the summary! Very cool. I had no idea about all the great work that goes on in psychology until I joined this site and started to read the posts on here and follow the links I see. In the past I've always just self-medicated (this July 4th I'll be clean for a year -- yay for me!), or tried to fix myself with music and movies, and it's not really working... obviously. :)

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I'm trying to share more IRL, and I'll get started by sharing online, so please allow me this small indulgence. I just moved to the city from the South, and I need to break out of my comfy little shell in some small way. It's a little bit of therapy I guess. So, here goes:

Whenever I see a guide dog (seeing-eye dog) doing its job, I cry a little... instantly and invariably. And my heart hurts in the BEST way. Not sobs or anything, but my eyes do fill with tears.

It doesn't matter what mood I'm in, what I'm doing, or where I'm going -- I have to stop and watch, and smile. And I think the world isn't so bad after all, because here is a perfect creature, right in front of me.

The impulse to hug that dog and protect it forever from any and all pain, and somehow tell it that I think it is perfect, and that I love it, is completely overwhelming. But I'm happy to just stand there and cry and smile.

Confession: I saw one yesterday and one this morning, and just thinking about them, and typing this, is making me cry. Sheesh! :cry:

And yes, I cry easily and often, but never for sadness or anger... always for beauty. And those service animals are pure and perfect beauty, at least to me.

:)
I have an INFP friend who used to cry all the time as a child. For joy, for sadness, for beauty. Her mother got a bit worried and took her to a therapist. But her mom is ENF I think, so she was very understanding of her daughters (most of these girls are Nfs with an adventurous will to help the world and most of them have travelled and been involved with mission trips and stuff).

This INFP is a nurse today, helping in the third world. She has even married an African and is helping him to get on with his life. I think you would like her.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
You know, you can volunteer to raise a guide dog puppy?

You get it from the time it's about 9 weeks and keep it until about 1-1.5 years. You get to take it with you everywhere (it's illegal for places to disallow them), teach it basic commands, and prepare it for its future career.

My roommate did this, and she found it to be a really great experience. The company she did it through was Southeastern Guide Dogs:

Southeastern Guide Dogs - Home

Abstract Thinker

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
:)
I have an INFP friend who used to cry all the time as a child. For joy, for sadness, for beauty. Her mother got a bit worried and took her to a therapist. But her mom is ENF I think, so she was very understanding of her daughters (most of these girls are Nfs with an adventurous will to help the world and most of them have travelled and been involved with mission trips and stuff).

This INFP is a nurse today, helping in the third world. She has even married an African and is helping him to get on with his life. I think you would like her.

Yeah, the crying easily used to bother me, but as I've aged I've accepted it. I'm not embarrassed at all about it -- I am who I am, and I'm grateful to feel things so deeply -- but I often wondered if I was just too "soft" for this world.

I've been through some things in the last few years though that challenged that premise, and I'm happy to say that I was, when necessary, just as "hard" as I needed to be, so it's all good. Still here. :)

I've wondered too about the INFP tendency to help others like your friend does (good for her!), but I'm just a video editor/audio nerd. I'm certainly very good at it, but I often wonder if I should have gone into a more altruistic profession.

Too late though I guess, at 45, to make any kind of major change like that. Oh well.

Abstract Thinker

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
You know, you can volunteer to raise a guide dog puppy?

You get it from the time it's about 9 weeks and keep it until about 1-1.5 years. You get to take it with you everywhere (it's illegal for places to disallow them), teach it basic commands, and prepare it for its future career.

My roommate did this, and she found it to be a really great experience. The company she did it through was Southeastern Guide Dogs:

Southeastern Guide Dogs - Home

Wow! Now THAT sounds like a great idea. It would certainly be hard to give up the dog, but I'm sure it would be made much easier knowing how much it would eventually help another person. I'm really good with animals too, so I know I would be good at it. I am already considering doing this.

I live alone (for the first time ever... yikes), so it would help me tremendously to have someone to take care of again.

--

EDIT: I just went to the site -- have you seen the puppy-cam? :hug:

I am seriously thinking about doing this! At the very least I will make donations. THANK YOU!

P.S. I'm not a joiner (and I mean NOT AT ALL - it's chronic), but I am already so glad I joined this site. :)

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
Wow! Now THAT sounds like a great idea. It would certainly be hard to give up the dog, but I'm sure it would be made much easier knowing how much it would eventually help another person. I'm really good with animals too, so I know I would be good at it. I am already considering doing this.

I live alone (for the first time ever... yikes), so it would help me tremendously to have someone to take care of again.

--

EDIT: I just went to the site -- have you seen the puppy-cam? :hug:

I am seriously thinking about doing this! At the very least I will make donations. THANK YOU!

P.S. I'm not a joiner (and I mean NOT AT ALL - it's chronic), but I am already so glad I joined this site. :)

Another thing you can do is get the Canine Good Citizen certification and then train your dog as a therapy dog. I know a couple of people how have done this and take their dogs to hospitals to interact with children as therapeutic aid. Another route you can take after the CGC is to train the dog for search and rescue and volunteer in that area.

You can usually find places near your area to get certified.
AKC's Canine Good Citizen

Therapy Dogs

NASAR || National Association For Search & Rescue

I want to get Blue through CGC, but he's still got a couple of dog aggression issues we have to work out before he stands a chance of passing.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I can relate to your post. Animals just touch me in a way nothing else does. They are trusting and pure in a way that humans usually aren't. There's no guile. And they're not annoying like kids are. :p

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

And yes, I cry easily and often, but never for sadness or anger... always for beauty or empathy. And those service animals are pure and perfect beauty, at least to me.

aww!! well people like you who's eyes are so open to the beauty in the world make me wanna cry for how pure and beautiful people can be....such a sweet soul you are. :hug: