First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    ..the lack of ability to consciously/willfully harm. A lack of purposeful intent behind their behaviors. I think there's beauty in that, when contrasted with us.
    Exactly! There's the root of my reaction, I think. As in idealist I guess I anthropomorphize the dog, and I wish (boy how I wish) that I could be that pure again.

---

The other part of it is this: that dog is so gentle and helpful... yes, but try to harm it's owner and watch out! Pure rage with no fear will be unleashed (pardon the pun).

I'm the same... gentle and kind, but if you hurt (or even threaten) someone I love, watch out. There are several foolish men out there who mistook my kindness for weakness and threatened one of my loved ones. They instantly regretted it. I'm certain they will think twice next time.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFp

@Phoenix_400: Beautiful! Just look at that face!

And, thank you for saving those shelter dogs, Phoenix.

IMO, we are 100% responsible for all dogs and cats -- we made them out of their larger and wilder cousins, and for our own use and pleasure. That makes us responsible for them all.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by SinistralPal View Post
    I think that this might really be interesting for you to read:

Companion Animals as Self-Objects

This study was conducted by Sue-Ellen Brown and was published in 2007. It aimed to see if aspects of self psychology could be applied to human-animal relationships. Self psychology was founded by Heinz Kohut in the mid 20th century, and focuses on empathy as a core need for healthy human development and self understanding. Suppliers of this empathy, which produces feelings of calmness, acceptance, and self-esteem in the receiver, are called selfobjects. These can range from people to places to ideas. This paper examined whether animals could be selfobjects for people, and if so, to identify if the selfobject was fulfilling mirroring, idealizing, or twinship needs. In addition, this study utilized a new method of qualitative study in the field of self psychology. A one-hour semi-structured interview was consisting of questions designed to reveal selfobject needs and fulfillment was implemented. Results from this test were compiled to analyze if selfobject needs were being met. It was found that animals were able to be selfobjects for people and to fulfill mirroring, idealizing, and twinship needs.
    Wow, thanks for the link, and the summary! Very cool. I had no idea about all the great work that goes on in psychology until I joined this site and started to read the posts on here and follow the links I see. In the past I've always just self-medicated (this July 4th I'll be clean for a year -- yay for me!), or tried to fix myself with music and movies, and it's not really working... obviously.

Aspiring Troens Ridder KLessard's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Abstract Thinker View Post
    I'm trying to share more IRL, and I'll get started by sharing online, so please allow me this small indulgence. I just moved to the city from the South, and I need to break out of my comfy little shell in some small way. It's a little bit of therapy I guess. So, here goes:

Whenever I see a guide dog (seeing-eye dog) doing its job, I cry a little... instantly and invariably. And my heart hurts in the BEST way. Not sobs or anything, but my eyes do fill with tears.

It doesn't matter what mood I'm in, what I'm doing, or where I'm going -- I have to stop and watch, and smile. And I think the world isn't so bad after all, because here is a perfect creature, right in front of me.

The impulse to hug that dog and protect it forever from any and all pain, and somehow tell it that I think it is perfect, and that I love it, is completely overwhelming. But I'm happy to just stand there and cry and smile.

Animals are without sin, and animals that help us like that are angels, right here on Earth. I think it's the closest to believing in God that I will ever get.

Confession: I saw one yesterday and one this morning, and just thinking about them, and typing this, is making me cry. Sheesh!

And yes, I cry easily and often, but never for sadness or anger... always for beauty. And those service animals are pure and perfect beauty, at least to me.

I have an INFP friend who used to cry all the time as a child. For joy, for sadness, for beauty. Her mother got a bit worried and took her to a therapist. But her mom is ENF I think, so she was very understanding of her daughters (most of these girls are Nfs with an adventurous will to help the world and most of them have travelled and been involved with mission trips and stuff).

This INFP is a nurse today, helping in the third world. She has even married an African and is helping him to get on with his life. I think you would like her.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

You know, you can volunteer to raise a guide dog puppy?

You get it from the time it's about 9 weeks and keep it until about 1-1.5 years. You get to take it with you everywhere (it's illegal for places to disallow them), teach it basic commands, and prepare it for its future career.

My roommate did this, and she found it to be a really great experience. The company she did it through was Southeastern Guide Dogs:

Southeastern Guide Dogs - Home

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by KLessard View Post

I have an INFP friend who used to cry all the time as a child. For joy, for sadness, for beauty. Her mother got a bit worried and took her to a therapist. But her mom is ENF I think, so she was very understanding of her daughters (most of these girls are Nfs with an adventurous will to help the world and most of them have travelled and been involved with mission trips and stuff).

This INFP is a nurse today, helping in the third world. She has even married an African and is helping him to get on with his life. I think you would like her.
    Yeah, the crying easily used to bother me, but as I've aged I've accepted it. I'm not embarrassed at all about it -- I am who I am, and I'm grateful to feel things so deeply -- but I often wondered if I was just too "soft" for this world.

I've been through some things in the last few years though that challenged that premise, and I'm happy to say that I was, when necessary, just as "hard" as I needed to be, so it's all good. Still here.

I've wondered too about the INFP tendency to help others like your friend does (good for her!), but I'm just a video editor/audio nerd. I'm certainly very good at it, but I often wonder if I should have gone into a more altruistic profession.

Too late though I guess, at 45, to make any kind of major change like that. Oh well.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    You know, you can volunteer to raise a guide dog puppy?

You get it from the time it's about 9 weeks and keep it until about 1-1.5 years. You get to take it with you everywhere (it's illegal for places to disallow them), teach it basic commands, and prepare it for its future career.

My roommate did this, and she found it to be a really great experience. The company she did it through was Southeastern Guide Dogs:

Southeastern Guide Dogs - Home
    Wow! Now THAT sounds like a great idea. It would certainly be hard to give up the dog, but I'm sure it would be made much easier knowing how much it would eventually help another person. I'm really good with animals too, so I know I would be good at it. I am already considering doing this.

I live alone (for the first time ever... yikes), so it would help me tremendously to have someone to take care of again.

--

EDIT: I just went to the site -- have you seen the puppy-cam?

I am seriously thinking about doing this! At the very least I will make donations. THANK YOU!

P.S. I'm not a joiner (and I mean NOT AT ALL - it's chronic), but I am already so glad I joined this site.

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Wow! Now THAT sounds like a great idea. It would certainly be hard to give up the dog, but I'm sure it would be made much easier knowing how much it would eventually help another person. I'm really good with animals too, so I know I would be good at it. I am already considering doing this.

I live alone (for the first time ever... yikes), so it would help me tremendously to have someone to take care of again.

--

EDIT: I just went to the site -- have you seen the puppy-cam?

I am seriously thinking about doing this! At the very least I will make donations. THANK YOU!

P.S. I'm not a joiner (and I mean NOT AT ALL - it's chronic), but I am already so glad I joined this site.
    Another thing you can do is get the Canine Good Citizen certification and then train your dog as a therapy dog. I know a couple of people how have done this and take their dogs to hospitals to interact with children as therapeutic aid. Another route you can take after the CGC is to train the dog for search and rescue and volunteer in that area.

You can usually find places near your area to get certified.
    AKC's Canine Good Citizen

Therapy Dogs

NASAR || National Association For Search & Rescue

I want to get Blue through CGC, but he's still got a couple of dog aggression issues we have to work out before he stands a chance of passing.
    "People in glass houses shouldn't use Windex when living near bird sanctuaries."- myself

"We are never alone my friend. We are constantly in the company of victories, losses, strengths and weaknesses. Make no mistake, life is war...and war is hell. Those who fight the hardest will suffer the most...but that's what you have to do: Fight. As long as you're feeling pain, then there's hope...because only the dead do not suffer." -RD Metcalf
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP

I can relate to your post. Animals just touch me in a way nothing else does. They are trusting and pure in a way that humans usually aren't. There's no guile. And they're not annoying like kids are. :-P
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

I'm trying to share more IRL, and I'll get started by sharing online, so please allow me this small indulgence. I just moved to the city from the South, and I need to break out of my comfy little shell in some small way. It's a little bit of therapy I guess. So, here goes:

Whenever I see a guide dog (seeing-eye dog) doing its job, I cry a little... instantly and invariably. And my heart hurts in the BEST way. Not sobs or anything, but my eyes do fill with tears.

It doesn't matter what mood I'm in, what I'm doing, or where I'm going -- I have to stop and watch, and smile. And I think the world isn't so bad after all, because here is a perfect creature, right in front of me.

The impulse to hug that dog and protect it forever from any and all pain, and somehow tell it that I think it is perfect, and that I love it, is completely overwhelming. But I'm happy to just stand there and cry and smile.

Animals are without sin, and animals that help us like that are angels, right here on Earth. I think it's the closest to believing in God that I will ever get.

Confession: I saw one yesterday and one this morning, and just thinking about them, and typing this, is making me cry. Sheesh!

And yes, I cry easily and often, but never for sadness or anger... always for beauty or empathy. And those service animals are pure and perfect beauty, at least to me.
    aww!! well people like you who's eyes are so open to the beauty in the world make me wanna cry for how pure and beautiful people can be....such a sweet soul you are.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison