• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Contention: ENTP female + INFJ male

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Honestly, I think INFJ men are lovely and fun and there is a definite click, but I wasn't all that impressed relationship-wise. But I guess you can make it work with any type, if you respect the person enough. And I really love being around NFJs.

For me personally, I settled on an INTP, but could imagine myself with an INTJ in some other lifetime. I would stay the hell away from NFPs - they are great but I find that I have way too many (dramatic) misunderstandings with them.

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Good luck. I believe INFJ males are less than 0.5% of the population.

Actually they are less than 25% of 1% of the population. Yes, that's right, they are only 0.0025% of the population. Then, if you take out the 10% that are gay, the ones that are married, and the emotionally unhealthy ones, etc. Well, let's just say that ENTP/ENFP women are SCREWED... or perhaps I should say not getting screwed.

Whenever I find a male INFJ, I get all excited like I found a Wheat Penny. LOL!

Weber

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Actually they are less than 25% of 1% of the population. Yes, that's right, they are only 0.0025% of the population. Then, if you take out the 10% that are gay, the ones that are married, and the emotionally unhealthy ones, etc. Well, let's just say that ENTP/ENFP women are SCREWED... or perhaps I should say not getting screwed.

Whenever I find a male INFJ, I get all excited like I found a Wheat Penny. LOL!

I think INFJs as a whole are slightly more than 1%. Also, that's two zeroes too many ;)

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
That's two zeroes too many ;)

Awww hell. I still remember saying a little prayer to God when I got a C+ in Calculus.

25% of 1% = 0.25% = 0.0025

As far as the percentage goes, I've yet to find a scientific study with methodology I respect with a large enough sample, to find any demographics information I'd consider reliable.

For example, one study in 1998 found that INFJs made up 1.7% of the population. But the study was seriously flawed. (This is the one listed on Wikipedia, btw.) There is another study (also with flawed methodology) that's alluded to on CAPT.org that lists INFJs as being 1-3% of the population. Yet other studies say less than 1%.

So I guess if we were going to get really precise with it, the best answer I'd give is we don't reliably know. But they are pretty rare.

Ergo, ENFP/ENTP women are still screwed.

Last edited:

SinistralPal

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I think this is a very interesting point, worthy of consideration. Gender undoubtedly plays a role in how type manifests. Thus, it must undoubtedly play a role in these kind of dynamics.

Your Assumptions - Gender Roles Support male ENTP/Female INFJ pairings
Your question seems to based on the assumption that a big component of ENTP male / INFJ female happiness relies on a stereotypical male / female dynamic. Ergo, if the perfectness of this relationship is damaged when the woman is the ENTP.

I'm not sure I think that I agree with your thought process here. What draws INFJs/INTJs and ENTPs/ENFPs together is the synchronicity in their respective function hierarchies.
  • ENTP — Ne > Ti > Fe > Si > Ni > Te > Fi > Se
  • ENFP — Ne > Fi > Te > Si > Ni > Fe > Ti > Se
  • INTJ — Ni > Te > Fi > Se > Ne > Ti > Fe > Si
  • INFJ — Ni > Fe > Ti >Se > Ne > Fi > Te > Si
Note that except for the T & F functions being switched between the Thinkers and Feelers, the hierarchy of functions is in the same order. This seems like it'd be stronger glue than housewife/breadwinner roles in how these four types pick their mates.

My Assumptions - All People Feel Pulled to Fit In:
Minimizing the Gender Stereotype Gap

But I do think there is something going on here.

I hypothesize that the farther out of gender stereotype someone is, the higher their motivation will be to choose a mate they perceive will help them close the gender stereotype gap by allowing them to express the aspects of their personality that are gender stereotypical.

So who is farther out of gender stereotype of the four types I listed above?

Introverts > Extraverts
Males > Females

Well, men have more rigid expectations re: their societal roles than women. And, E's focus their energy outside themselves which grounds them in the world and keeps them cognizant of how their behavior is judged by others. I's tend to be more impractical and less influenced by outside pressures.

Thus, male introverts out of gender stereotype (i.e., INFJ males) experience the greatest gender gap and thus have the strongest motivation to choose a mate that helps them get closer to the male ideal.

By the same token, ENTP women would experience the least gender stereotype gap. Thus, they would have very low motivation to pick a mate that would help them modulate their out of gender stereotype tendencies.

The $64,000 Question
Which personality type do INFJ males perceive will be their ideal complement AND help them more comfortably express their stereotypical maleness. I predict the ENFP. She is unafraid to lavish her lover with all manner of pda and adoration; in general, she is not interested in leading others or being confrontational; she is more than willing to tailor her approach to meet her male INFJ's needs thus in some ways he sets the agenda.

If my theory is correct, an INFJ male will be far less motivated to pick an ENTP female. In sum, I predict that while female ENTP / male INFJ matches might have all the advantages of the male ENTP/ female INFJ pairing in terms of complimentary cognitive processes, INFJ males will be less attracted to the dynamic here.

<Insert cringe here, while Esoteric Wench waits on it to 'hit the fan'.>

First off, I love you. The way this whole argument is structured and composed....just delicious.

Second, yes, that is exactly what I was alluding to - how gender roles can impact so-called "ideal" MBTI pairings.

Thirdly, thank you for confirming my suspicion that ENTP women are basically screwed. =\ (And for all those female ENTP's out there that are in long-lasting, loving, joyous relationships: I hate you all. :p)

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You're not the only one who has it bad...

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
First off, I love you. The way this whole argument is structured and composed....just delicious.

Thank you. :blush: My INTJ mother and ENTP father raised me to have kick ass Te. :)

Second, yes, that is exactly what I was alluding to - how gender roles can impact so-called "ideal" MBTI pairings.

Yeah, I think it's all pretty interesting to think about how gender affects the way type is expressed. I saw my mother struggle with such issues a lot.

Thirdly, thank you for confirming my suspicion that ENTP women are basically screwed. =\ (And for all those female ENTP's out there that are in long-lasting, loving, joyous relationships: I hate you all. :p)

Well, there's still INTJs. I've dated both INFJs and INTJs as well as my Socionics dual ISTP (which for you would be an ISFP). These are all very nice matches for either an ENTP or an ENFP with killer Te.

I will say that my gut tells me (and, I'm not sure why) that a female ENTP would be a good match for a male INTJ. I'll ponder that a bit. But I bet that'd be a very strong match.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
It is true, I fell into the same faux pas I was criticising. Mia colpa. As mentioned in my earlier post on this thread is that I have experience with my own INFJ mother, and limited experience with INFJ males. I would say that my mom is self-sufficient, and I would say pulls in a higher salary than my dad. However, she can be...emotionally demanding at times. I heard this from other NF males - they require a lot of attention and affirmation in the relationship. One friend of mine sited this as the reason for his divorce.

Interesting comments though Billy. Have you found any of these sorts of problems in your relationship? How do you feel you and your SO handle arguments and emotional stresses? You mentioned you are more "emotionally available" - to me this implies more "receiving". Do you find your ENTJ tends to instigate emotional conversations more then?

To be perfectly honest I have only been seeing her a brief period, but I have dated a few NTs and NTJs. I am very into giving and receiving affection and intimacy, but I do have my limits, sometimes I need my own space, on this front I work well with NT type women because they usually have their own stuff going on and are adamant about maintaining their independence, thats fine with me, I have plenty to do on my own.

We dont talk much about feelings, she isn't so comfy with it, we show a lot of feelings though with actions.

I can see why some would say NF males or INFJ males could be kind of needy at some points, but I think that has more to do with age/maturity then anything. I was much more needy when I was younger, now I rarely have time to see whoever I am dating... so.. I unno.

She is quite shy at times though, she will drop me hints as to what she wants because she feel embarrassed about saying it, but I am fantastic at reading between the lines, so I tend to lead the most in the situation.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm with Jeno.

The dynamics with INFJs looks great on paper but gender differences do change things in reality, any pair could work great but the ENTP/INFJ, as with the ENFP/INTJ pair, appears more cohesive with Male T, Female F.

I don't say that because of any role reversals though, I'd suggest that combinations with a T Female and F Male may be less attracted to the other due to their personal expectations of what kind of masculinity/femineity their partner should have.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
To me personally ENTPs and ENFP are very similar. Basicly ENTP is a ENFP with a thicker skin and better logical skills. (to be honest with everybody I don't believe in a strict functional order) However if I am not wrong Ne doms go well with Ni doms and that is pretty much a fact. Now the only question is which combination works better for each individual.

Also I think that perhaps it would be easier for me to relate to ENTP than ENFP since I am very strong T, plus her T would make her more resistant to my Te.
I mean lets face it --> I don't want to fake half of the time in a relationship.

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
To me personally ENTPs and ENFP are very similar. Basicly ENTP is a ENFP with a thicker skin and better logical skills. (to be honest with everybody I don't believe in a strict functional order) However if I am not wrong Ne doms go well with Ni doms and that is pretty much a fact. Now the only question is which combination works better for each individual.

Also I think that perhaps it would be easier for me to relate to ENTP than ENFP since I am very strong T, plus her T would make her more resistant to my Te.
I mean lets face it --> I don't want to fake half of the time in a relationship.

I think there's truth to what you're saying. I get along very well with INTJ as both friends and lovers. But at the end of the day (and regardless of my killer Te) I have to protect my heart a little bit from being hurt by an INTJ's Te.

I don't experience this occasional heart hurt with other types with strong Te. It's almost because of the Ne/Ni dom pairing ENFPs and INTJs share that the Te can sometimes cut so much.

I'm not saying that I couldn't find an INTJ that would be my soul mate. I just think that in general an INFJ is a better fit for me.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I think there's truth to what you're saying. I get along very well with INTJ as both friends and lovers. But at the end of the day (and regardless of my killer Te) I have to protect my heart a little bit from being hurt by an INTJ's Te.

I don't experience this occasional heart hurt with other types with strong Te. It's almost because of the Ne/Ni dom pairing ENFPs and INTJs share that the Te can sometimes cut so much.

I'm not saying that I couldn't find an INTJ that would be my soul mate. I just think that in general an INFJ is a better fit for me.

I know, this is why I have some doubts about dating NFPs from the start.

SinistralPal

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Lol, I always said I am a pink satin covered rock. Haha. And then waaayy down deep....is molten lava.
Haha!

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
Lol, I always said I am a pink satin covered rock. Haha. And then waaayy down deep....is molten lava.
Haha!

Which is where you would need to make your choice for whats right for you.

An INTJ would probably be a better fit overall, but I doubt an INTJ would ever mine deep enough into the lava to really set you on fire the way an INFJ would. NT/NF relationships in my experience dont always last so long, but they can be brutally intense and burn out quick... If you dont mind a roller coaster emotionally it can function for a while... but usually something has to give. The feelings or the resistance to feelings has to be compromised a little bit for the harmony of the relationship. I say this on the back of a few failed relationships with NTs :p

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

An INTJ would probably be a better fit overall, but I doubt an INTJ would ever mine deep enough into the lava to really set you on fire the way an INFJ would. NT/NF relationships in my experience dont always last so long, but they can be brutally intense and burn out quick... If you dont mind a roller coaster emotionally it can function for a while... but usually something has to give. The feelings or the resistance to feelings has to be compromised a little bit for the harmony of the relationship. I say this on the back of a few failed relationships with NTs :p

Don't worry about this. Once we smell the blood of a blood type that we like we will probably pursue this person untll we get to the bottom of things. :devil:

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Eh, at first I was surprised how much feeling an NT girl can give. Even now there are times when it's a nice surprise.

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

As an INFJ female - My worst relationships have been with NTs. They where..very educational, but..far from anything I'd like in the long term. I might just have not known the right NTs. I'm a serial feeler dater though. Ever since I was young (I asked my best friend her take on dating and she mentioned my feeling man gravitational tendencies). NTs are like closet cuddly people. I like it. I just don't do well in the longterm with them.