User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    enfx

Default How do you cope with housework and daily life details?

Man, I struggle with this big time. Any hints on how not to let everything take over and stress you out all the time. I seem so shit at remembering things and fitting it all in is a huge chore. Yet I don't like to live in a mess ... any older wiser NF's out there who know how we can SJ those wee parts of our life so we can get on with the other, so much more INTERESTING stuff!!?

Fun first, fit in details around it, buy underwear if you run out.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kate7 View Post
    Man, I struggle with this big time. Any hints on how not to let everything take over and stress you out all the time. I seem so shit at remembering things and fitting it all in is a huge chore. Yet I don't like to live in a mess ... any older wiser NF's out there who know how we can SJ those wee parts of our life so we can get on with the other, so much more INTERESTING stuff!!?
    I'm not an NF, but as far as cleaning the house goes... this is what I do (I work in a lab though so you probably won't need the same frequency).. every morning I clean the bathroom after I shower etc, briefly - it takes about 5 minutes... Then twice a week I really clean it - takes about 20 or 30 minutes.

I always clean the kitchen after each use - takes about 5 or 10 minutes... if I'm cooking I tend to clean while I'm cooking...

I have hardwood floors and no carpeting so I dust and mop every weekend - takes about 2 or 3 hours depending on the time of year, but I typically combine this with brainstorming for work, watching TV, or listening to music.

So basically in short if you don't let it pile up it's really a lot easier to clean things...

For other stuff... buy a giant dry erase board and put it up on your wall, write down the things you need to get done in some really annoying color and happily erase them as they are completed. We did this system for our INTP friend and it works great for him.

good luck.

Hehehehe, yeah, I hate all of this stuff too. At this point, after being married to a neat-freak busy body for many years it had pretty much become habit. Now, though I just pick up throughout the day, whenever I want to. I do something small, then I do something I want to do, then I do something small again. I break it up into little manageable tasks. When I do have to do the big things, I have a playlist that inspires me to clean. With bills and things, I usually just make sure I leave them out where I will see them... Otherwise they will get put into a random pile, so I keep them where I can see them and I order them by date.

So my advice is to do the boring stuff in-between the fun stuff. That's what I do. Or you can marry a neat-freak that doesn't like to clean for themselves. The choice is yours.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Lists ,lists and more lists.
    I write lists just to remind me to write more lists.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Socionics
    ENFj

Well I clean up after myself as to prevent any mess. I am single, so I only do things like clean the bathroom, vacuum the floor, etc only once a week.

When things get too messy I tend to get really intimidated and have to do everything in small parts to complete a large cleaning project.

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

For me, what helps is to make set cleaning and laundry days during the week. Usually it's Thursday for cleaning, and Monday and Friday for laundry. I listen to music while doing the cleaning, or just letting my brain travel off in some other place other than the cleaning. Gives me an opportunity to think of what I'm going to create.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Socionics
    ENFj

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    For me, what helps is to make set cleaning and laundry days during the week. Usually it's Thursday for cleaning, and Monday and Friday for laundry. I listen to music while doing the cleaning, or just letting my brain travel off in some other place other than the cleaning. Gives me an opportunity to think of what I'm going to create.
    This helps me a lot.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I have a large family and I'm really pretty horrible about keeping up with stuff. So far the only thing that has really helped is podcast novels. If I'm listing to a good story while I'm doing stuff, it hardly feels like work.

Podiobooks FTW! Librivox is pretty good, too. Both are free.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Man, I struggle with this big time. Any hints on how not to let everything take over and stress you out all the time. I seem so shit at remembering things and fitting it all in is a huge chore.
    ANSWER 1:
    The answer to your question is to integrate form and function.

Minimize your household composition.

Get rid of "stuff" that does not have a regular (used 1x per year or more) purpose.

If there is less stuff strewn everywhere, then there is less to clean, less to become unwieldy, and more time to focus on life itself...

ANSWER 2:
    You must also integrate your HOUSEHOLD CLEANING into your DAILY ROUTINE.

If you start with a clean house, and then let it go to shit, it will likely take you several hours (or the proverbial "weekend") to get it back in order.

BUT - if you start with a clean house (2 days work, wall to wall, and floor to ceiling, just accept that as an initiation fee)...

...AND then commit to performing common household tasks as it becomes necessary to do them (and not just when the whole place has gone to hell in a handbasket) then your home will never stray too far from its ideal state.

ASSUMPTION:
    Saturday: Clean entire pig sty

HALLA'S EASY-PEEZY MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE:
    (1) Sunday: Do the dishes/tidy up the kitchen
    (2) Monday: Do one or two loads of laundry
    (3) Tuesday: Spray mildew remover in the shower, pour bleach in the toilet bowl
    (4) Wednesday: Sweep and vaccuum!
    (5) Thursday: Take the garbage and recycling out
    (6) Friday: De-clutter, and then have a glass of wine as you enjoy your posh pimp crib.
    (7) Saturday: You are free to do as you choose, and your house is clean, go forth and frolic, and prosper...

Yet I don't like to live in a mess ... any older wiser NF's out there who know how we can SJ those wee parts of our life so we can get on with the other, so much more INTERESTING stuff!!?
    See above. I'm married to an NF, and understand how you all revel in idealizing about the world in all its various potential wonderful conformations, and have seen how such meander-dreaming can cause a disconnect with the pigsty of reality. BUT - I have also seen and enjoyed many conformations of the world as you intended it to be for me, and enjoyed it very, very much, so if I can offer a little practical counsel to keep the miracles flowing my way, I'm able to be selfless enough to make that happen...

Be organized to the point that it is a benefit to your life, not a burden. If your environment is pleasing to your eyes, and you can find all you need when you need it, then you have accomplished creating a HOME and not just A PLACE TO THROW YOUR STUFF.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro