• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] How do you cope with housework and daily life details?

wolfy

awsm
I don't have system. If it is my job I take care of it. I love to clean in a bad mood, so annoying me is the best way to get the house clean.

Auckland? Try Meticulous Maids.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't have system. If it is my job I take care of it. I love to clean in a bad mood, so annoying me is the best way to get the house clean.
that's funny...i do that too! i mean...like in the middle of an argument. i guess it's avoidant behavior. :/

wolfy

awsm
that's funny...i do that too! i mean...like in the middle of an argument. i guess it's avoidant behavior. :/

I think it is adrenaline induced behaviour. I'm gonna clean this house come hell or high water.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oh i meant for me...when i do that. it's not because i care about cleaning the house.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
is it so you can think? or not think?

wolfy

awsm
Good question. It is so I can move! I think also it is to get some time to let my mind sort through.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
haha!!! you just gots to move do ya!? haha okay. :D

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
some days/months I do the household daily things and others I don't. It's usually determined by how busy and tired I am. If I'm in a good mood the appartment looks lovely.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I can only do it when it is for someone else. strange, huh.

At work, I am relatively tidy, and do a good job at doing the dishes, laundry, and keeping things orderly.

At home, with my SO, I'll just listen to some music and get into a groove.

:)

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
just get a cleaning lady to come in like once a month (mine costs like <100$) and get it all done... then be vewy vewy caweful for the rest of the month.

Oh I also throw shit out compulsively.. I'm a minimalist. Makes cleaning barely necessary.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Man, I struggle with this big time. Any hints on how not to let everything take over and stress you out all the time. I seem so shit at remembering things and fitting it all in is a huge chore. Yet I don't like to live in a mess ... any older wiser NF's out there who know how we can SJ those wee parts of our life so we can get on with the other, so much more INTERESTING stuff!!?
I am not an NF but my advice is this:
Find someone else.

Pay. Bribe. Con. Whatever it takes.

surgery

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Four
Daily: (With alarms set.)
One of her best tips is to set a timer for fifteen minutes.

I've found that timing myself particularly helps me in areas outside of housework.
I'm a student for example, so setting an alarm for 30-45 of daily review of notes, text, etc well in advance of a deadline helps tremendously with focusing and meeting goals.

As far as cleaning housework and cleaning, I've never had a real problem with motivation. However, my motivation is not always consistent.
I could never set aside a day to do laundry every week.
I judge what needs to be done case by case: how uncomfortable I do feel in my environment? how ugly does the house look? is immediate action necessity for guests or work?

My biggest trouble comes with running errands and what shortnsweet described as "business."
I always put off tasks that involve:
1. Driving because I hate it and I hate interrupting my day with a special trip.
2. Focusing for a long time on something mundane and uninteresting.
*Another example of when to use timers.
3. Telephone calls - They're unbearably awkward.
4. Researching on the internet (source of distraction.)
*Solution: 5-min timer to search MapQuest, etc.

The best solution I've found so far has been to minimize the amount of time between the thought and the action.
The more time spent planning or preparing, the more my inspiration to diminishes.
Instead of wasting more time showering, eating a meal, or whatever before I am "ready" to go, I get out of bed, just wash my face, put on clean clothes and jump in the car with a quick do-to list that I made the night before.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just do it as fast and as well as I can to get it over with so I can sit at my computer or do whatever and not get yelled at. On occasion I cope by treating it like a game -- particularly when I'm organizing, I treat the whole thing like a huge IRL game of Tetris.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've found that timing myself particularly helps me in areas outside of housework.
I'm a student for example, so setting an alarm for 30-45 of daily review of notes, text, etc well in advance of a deadline helps tremendously with focusing and meeting goals.

Soo true. It works with everything. Sometimes I get more efficient too, because I'm trying to beat the clock somehow.

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Reading this thread was really entertaining!! Some of the tips here seem totally un-followable though. I'd love to know what other ENFP's do?...

I read this book:
I think one of the reasons that it worked for me was that it talks a lot about the theory behind keeping an organized house. (It even mentioned Six Sigma principles. LOL!) I think that once I bought into the theory, then implementing the theory wasn't so hard... Then again, I was living with an INTJ at the time who was a wee on the anal side of things so this was a powerful motivator for me. ;)

Seriously though, I can't recommend this book enough to other ENFPs. It really, really helped me.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
luckily..i naturally can't stand clutter. i could live in a total japanese minimalist environment....my mind is cluttered enough. i dig the serenity of a sparse environment.
Monk_Emote___Chanting_Om_by_Kitrakaya.gif

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I pick a time of the week when I do all this at once, and have all other free time to focus on what is really important to me.

kevrawlings

MBTI Type
ISTP
Not to be Mr. know it all, but the better question is how do you not cope with that stuff. It actually makes life much easier and simpler. The whole, a cluttered desk is a cluttered mind, cleanliness is next to Godliness thing.

But, practical advice, put on some of your favorite energetic music, have some sugar or caffeine, and then just wreck.