User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I will see if I can try that, Halla. My ISTP dad is coming over 'sometime this week' so I've got to clean up anyway. He's not exactly a neat-freak but let's just say he's a lot neater than I am.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I will see if I can try that, Halla. My ISTP dad is coming over 'sometime this week' so I've got to clean up anyway. He's not exactly a neat-freak but let's just say he's a lot neater than I am.
    Go for it!

I keep my house clean and orderly enough for ME to be happy. Everyone else's needs are inconsequential. If they don't like the layout or the state of things they can pitch in and clean it to their liking.

Admittedly though, I am ~51% P/~49% J so I am hardly a slob, but I assure you I am not a neat freak either...
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    ANSWER 1:
    The answer to your question is to integrate form and function.

Minimize your household composition.

Get rid of "stuff" that does not have a regular (used 1x per year or more) purpose.

If there is less stuff strewn everywhere, then there is less to clean, less to become unwieldy, and more time to focus on life itself...

ANSWER 2:
    You must also integrate your HOUSEHOLD CLEANING into your DAILY ROUTINE.

If you start with a clean house, and then let it go to shit, it will likely take you several hours (or the proverbial "weekend") to get it back in order.

BUT - if you start with a clean house (2 days work, wall to wall, and floor to ceiling, just accept that as an initiation fee)...

...AND then commit to performing common household tasks as it becomes necessary to do them (and not just when the whole place has gone to hell in a handbasket) then your home will never stray too far from its ideal state.

ASSUMPTION:
    Saturday: Clean entire pig sty

HALLA'S EASY-PEEZY MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE:
    (1) Sunday: Do the dishes/tidy up the kitchen
    (2) Monday: Do one or two loads of laundry
    (3) Tuesday: Spray mildew remover in the shower, pour bleach in the toilet bowl
    (4) Wednesday: Sweep and vaccuum!
    (5) Thursday: Take the garbage and recycling out
    (6) Friday: De-clutter, and then have a glass of wine as you enjoy your posh pimp crib.
    (7) Saturday: You are free to do as you choose, and your house is clean, go forth and frolic, and prosper...

See above. I'm married to an NF, and understand how you all revel in idealizing about the world in all its various potential wonderful conformations, and have seen how such meander-dreaming can cause a disconnect with the pigsty of reality. BUT - I have also seen and enjoyed many conformations of the world as you intended it to be for me, and enjoyed it very, very much, so if I can offer a little practical counsel to keep the miracles flowing my way, I'm able to be selfless enough to make that happen...

Be organized to the point that it is a benefit to your life, not a burden. If your environment is pleasing to your eyes, and you can find all you need when you need it, then you have accomplished creating a HOME and not just A PLACE TO THROW YOUR STUFF.
    I may very well have to rethink my decision to never date an S again*. Wow! It might totally be worth the S/N communication gap to have my life kept in order like this.

*ISTPs are the exception.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric Wench View Post
    I may very well have to rethink my decision to never date an S again*. Wow! It might totally be worth the S/N communication gap to have my life kept in order like this.
    Muhahaaa...come to the dark side...

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric Wench View Post
    *ISTPs are the exception.
    You're better off sticking with ESTPs...
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I very much subscribe to the 80/20 rule of time management in most aspects of life. When it comes to housework and daily tasks I want the highest result in the most efficient way. I absolutely agree that minimizing the "stuff" is the best place to start. Lists are a good next step. Keep in mind that when you stay on top of things, the less you will have to do on a daily basis. Don't wait until you're knee deep in shit to start. Organization is easily maintainable when you already have some order. Then you can get on with the more fun stuff.

Do one load of laundry every day instead of waiting to do it all on one day. Deep clean the bathrooms once a week and just daily upkeep (sinks, toilets) that takes a couple minutes. Wash dishes/load dishwasher as you cook, don't pile everything in the sink. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anal and uptight about cleaning. I grew up in that kind of house and it's not healthy. Plus I have a housekeeper that comes once a week for the bigger cleaning jobs so most of my job is upkeep. I work, I pay for her services so I see this as simple delegation and nothing more.

I'm also married to an NF who also subscribes to the 80/20 rule. That makes things a whole lot easier for us as a couple.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

Quote Originally Posted by Kate7 View Post
    Man, I struggle with this big time. Any hints on how not to let everything take over and stress you out all the time. I seem so shit at remembering things and fitting it all in is a huge chore. Yet I don't like to live in a mess ... any older wiser NF's out there who know how we can SJ those wee parts of our life so we can get on with the other, so much more INTERESTING stuff!!?
    Um.... I live and die by lists and sticky notes. Compulsively.
    I keep everything in a schedule my planner, there's no way I could remember otherwise since I'm generally gone 12-14 hours during the day.

I have a routine. When I get home I put my bags of stuff away (gym, lunch, school bag, laptop, purse, clothes etc). Everything has a place. Then I get most those bags ready again the night before.

Sometimes stacks pile up on my desk during the week, but I always put stuff away on the weekends because I can't focus on work if my space isn't clean. I frequently write to-do lists on scratch paper when I get home to help me remember stuff. I've probably impared my short term memory because I use lists so much. Even for just a few things to remember them, and it really helps me focus when I get home and use my time productively.

Closet drawer organization, and cleaning bathrooms are a different story, and dusting forget it.

Gotta utilize that natural J darling! You'll get the hang of it.
    Routines and I love each other... If I don't have my weekly pattern my whole fitness schedule and stuff gets thrown off.
    3w2

Those who are content being normal lack the depth and passion to rise above mediocracy.
    To push beyond their natural abilities and create a reality from their dreams.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I am extremely strange when it comes to chores and I'm almost embarrassed to be typing this. Must be my Te trying to compensate for the rest of me... but here goes.

Daily: (With alarms set.)
    10 minute bedroom cleanup
    20 minute house cleanup
    30 minute "business" (bill paying and phone calling and emailing and whatever other paperwork.)

"Cleanup" includes laundry and taking out the trash etc.- so like during room cleanup if there is a full hamper I will throw in laundry first and switch it next time there is a "cleanup." So if it's Monday "cleanup" I will take out the trash. And if it's Tuesday "cleanup" I will take the bucket back in. I love a clean house but I hate chores. And that's how I do it. My house actually runs quite smoothly when I follow my little rules. It seems almost a little rainmanish or something weird. But at least this way I can keep in mind that chores end eventually and I am 10X happier when I'm done.

I try to do cleanup and business first thing so I can enjoy the rest of my day! (Well.. I try..)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Phantonym

Setting up a simple but efficient system and following it is the best tactic, in my opinion. Or at least it works for me. When it comes to cleaning up the house or organizing my stuff, my strategy is simple - don't make a mess and you won't have to clean it up. I try not to let things pile up to the point where I'd rather sell my place than clean it. I do the things that can be done immediately, such as cleaning up the dishes or getting stuff in the laundry and I do them fast not to let the thought of "meh, I can do that later on" to interfere because I already know that things will pile up that way. The bigger stuff do take some time to get started, mostly depending on my mood. But, for me, all of this is easily done because I don't have loads of stuff or pets or children to storm around the house like a tornado.

I guess my advice would be to maybe come up with a plan and definitely write it down. If you have other people living with you, make sure to include them as well, don't try to tackle this all on your own because this will just get you frustrated. If you live alone, make a simple plan and stick to it even if you don't really feel like it and try to find at least something fun in doing the things. Combine it with things that are pleasant for you, maybe listen to your favourite music or something like that. Try to keep in mind that postponing doing stuff will not get you anywhere but being frustrated when you think about all the things you should be doing. It's better to get things out of the way so that you could enjoy doing much more interesting stuff.

Good luck.

Edit: Haha, I didn't read other responses before replying, so sorry for being redundant.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I don't know if you already know of it, but there's this Fly Lady website that's designed for people who have trouble with housework. I know it's a bit cheesy but it helped me out a lot a few years back when I was struggling with depression. She basically says the same things that everyone else said like declutter, daily maintenance but she gives you that extra little boost if you're severely lacking in motivation.

One of her best tips is to set a timer for fifteen minutes. If you mentally tell yourself that you can stop when the timer goes off you will often find that the housework wasn't that bad after all and once you get started you don't want to stop. Or you actually start to enjoy it. Or maybe that's just me.

Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterby View Post
    I don't know if you already know of it, but there's this Fly Lady website that's designed for people who have trouble with housework. I know it's a bit cheesy but it helped me out a lot a few years back when I was struggling with depression. She basically says the same things that everyone else said like declutter, daily maintenance but she gives you that extra little boost if you're severely lacking in motivation.

One of her best tips is to set a timer for fifteen minutes. If you mentally tell yourself that you can stop when the timer goes off you will often find that the housework wasn't that bad after all and once you get started you don't want to stop. Or you actually start to enjoy it. Or maybe that's just me.
    The advice is really good. You can read more about it here: FlyLady - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, I had a very hard time getting past all that girlie girl fluff. But I tend to be out of the female mainstream on such things. As long as it works for people, then who am I to roll my eyes at the cutesiness.