• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Do NFs focus on what is said more than most people?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
:rofl1: You crack me up, AO. Is she still trying to get you presents? I get your rationale but yeah...it's inconsiderate...very inconsiderate. One could also argue that it's inconsiderate to keep ignoring what the other person wants or needs. But I'm sure your mother had the best intentions in mind and it meant something to her, an expression that she cares about you. It's not wrong to express your opinion but it's all about the wording because this is the sure way to hurt people's feelings when it's not really necessary. If you want things to go your way, it might be best to try to take an approach that wouldn't be so blunt but rather that explains your reasons some more.

I know. This is why I roll my eyes almost every time when one of the NFP inhere says that I should not hide myself that much and that they would prefer "real" me always. What can I say ? I am naturally pretty direct.

Actually the reason why I have said that is because I have warned her in advance that I probably will not really care about the present. Plus I wanted to discurage her from doing that ever again. (that is why I was so brutal)
So we made a deal: if there is a special day coming up and I want something I will tell her and she will buy me that as present. (if she wants to do that)

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Tell me something NFs, how wrong it is to say something like this to someone who is close to you.

To be honest with you, I don't really appreciate that you did this for me and the fact you did it personally means nothing to me.

This is what my mother got a few years back for buying me a birthday persent

haha. This is so classic INTJ. It's how my eldest son speaks to me when he wants to try to cop the upper hand for a bit. I roll with it and think it's kinda funny, usually throw some quip back at him. It's fun and I don't take it personally. I also know that he knows that he can't go around talking like that irl, and be successful with people. But I'm glad he can be himself around me.

Tantive

MBTI Type
INFP
Words still retain power in cause and effect, some people forget that :p

G

garbage

Actually the reason why I have said that is because I have warned her in advance that I probably will not really care about the present. Plus I wanted to discurage her from doing that ever again. (that is why I was so brutal)
So we made a deal: if there is a special day coming up and I want something I will tell her and she will buy me that as present. (if she wants to do that)

I'm potentially going to go against the grain and say that you were pretty well justified in what you said and exactly how you said it, given that you already told her that you didn't want anything

Now, if you'd initially used the 'brutal' phrasing from your previous post.. then, yeah, you'd probably want to watch your wording.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
:yes:

I read between lines and am very sensitive to word choice & phrasing. Tone of voice is more noticeable for me than body language & facial expressions though. I can't say I read people that well physically, even if I note it. I pick up on emotional vibes better.
:yes: Exactly!

Sometimes I will think my wife (ESTJ) is really upset about something and I'll be trying to drag out of her what the issue is. And eventually she'll repeat the original statement she made that concerned me, and she has since changed 1 word and the whole thing is has a totally different implication. Of course, she can't pick up the difference at all and she thinks she said the exact same thing to me both times.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:yes: Exactly!

Sometimes I will think my wife (ESTJ) is really upset about something and I'll be trying to drag out of her what the issue is. And eventually she'll repeat the original statement she made that concerned me, and she has since changed 1 word and the whole thing is has a totally different implication. Of course, she can't pick up the difference at all and she thinks she said the exact same thing to me both times.

I think that's the root of a lot of NF (maybe NFP in particular?) communication problems with other types. We tend to think to ourselves, "well, I would only phrase it that way were I upset/irritated/resentful/whatever." While some of us can be sloppy in other ways, we tend to be very intentional in the emotional connotations of our word choices.

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
My friend has often referred to me as "Miss. Sensitive" because any little thing that people say or do, even in joking, upsets me. All my friends know that they always have to watch exactly what they say to me because I'm so fragile.

Example: In school I had to re-take algebra one. While working on homework with a friend, she was working on her prestigious algebra 2 homework. She forgot that I wasn't in algebra 2 and asked "Can you help me?"

"Nope, sorry." I said. "I get to work on algebra 1 'cause I'm special." I was joking then she says. "No not 'cause your special, 'cause you failed."

Well, she didn't say it in a malicious tone, but I was so upset I told her to go home and not talk to me.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Especially if I get a baseline for someone's style of communication, it is nearly impossible to offend me if there is not offense intended. The main miscommunications occur when I don't know the person, or if I am the one who hasn't communicated accurately enough. I'm not claiming I always understand what people are saying, but have a process of not concluding and continually gathering information that does attempt to maximize accuracy. I pay attention to word patterns that people use as well as body language. My memory is geared towards keeping track of patterns of how various people communicate in order to get a baseline to know what they mean better. I make a concerted effort to understand.

People often equate sensitivity and easy offense to NFs, but it is rare I get offended. I can think of a few times, but those tend to be larger scale prejudices that affect a lot of people and the perpetrator might even be oblivious to what they are doing. The things that offend me are the least personal directly. If any person ever felt concerned they have offended me, that is a sort of proof they haven't. If they had, I would still be gathering information and would eventually stumble onto the fact it was not intended as hurt, and then we're good.

In smaller group dynamics throughout my life and in every conceivable situation I've noticed often people becoming offended by something an individual does, and it never occurs to me to be offended. I wonder if it is spaciness, or a lack of some sort of skill, or a sort of empathy where I'm viewing the scene from each individual separately as opposed to group norms and expectations. It makes me fear I could easily offend others in groups and so default to being quiet, listening, and smiling.

The only times I have come close to feeling comfortable in any group is at Science Fiction conventions and experimental art shows. Those are places where anyone is accepted and there isn't much of a vibe of annoyance or offense. In most other places I walk on eggshells because there are so many expectations that I care nothing about, but also don't want negative attention and punishment for being spacy about it. So am I offended when punished for missing a social expectation? Not exactly, because I can see it is important to many people. I just prefer to find a way to avoid the conflict in the first place.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Personally I notice the tone of a person's voice more than anything else, I find it very telling. I'm also not very sensitive to offense, usually being the one making crass, offensive jokes in a conversation if I feel the other person can take it. :jew:

People often equate sensitivity and easy offense to NFs, but it is rare I get offended. I can think of a few times, but those tend to be larger scale prejudices that affect a lot of people and the perpetrator might even be oblivious to what they are doing. The things that offend me are the least personal directly.
Are you perchance an NFJ?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Personally I notice the tone of a person's voice more than anything else, I find it very telling. I'm also not very sensitive to offense, usually being the one making crass, offensive jokes in a conversation if I feel the other person can take it. :jew:

Are you perchance an NFJ?
Something like that.

I guess I do get offended at elitism, but not as much at individual elitists because I know they have pressures from family and friends to maintain a certain hoity-toitness in order to have a place in the world. It's the system I dislike. It will absorb some form of prejudice [slot in anything] as a way of defining superiority. This is usually done without even noticing they share the negative traits they are imposing on their "inferior" group. After enough time and repetition I will smack it down when my patience runs out. It's probably an exercise in futility. It still isn't intended as personal because everyone gets stuck in various negative systems.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Something like that.
I ask because it seems rather Fe to me to be more offended at a "prejudiced" action directed at many people, than at a personal insult. I was curious.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think that's the root of a lot of NF (maybe NFP in particular?) communication problems with other types. We tend to think to ourselves, "well, I would only phrase it that way were I upset/irritated/resentful/whatever." While some of us can be sloppy in other ways, we tend to be very intentional in the emotional connotations of our word choices.
I don't know if I really consider it a communication problem, but this is definitely true for me. It is often quite accurate and telling and helps me get to the root of what is really going on pretty easily in a lot of cases.

Or course, I sometimes get false reads on "something bad going on" but those are usually pretty easily worked through.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I ask because it seems rather Fe to me to be more offended at a "prejudiced" action directed at many people, than at a personal insult. I was curious.
I'm also noticeably oblivious to smaller, real-time group dynamics, so take your pick of interpretations. I have most clarity on the individual and universal levels. It's the inbetween stuff that baffles me at least in terms of interacting and understanding in real time. Anyway, I think I'm veering away off topic and not focusing on what was said in the OP. :alttongue:

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
People often equate sensitivity and easy offense to NFs, but it is rare I get offended. I can think of a few times, but those tend to be larger scale prejudices that affect a lot of people and the perpetrator might even be oblivious to what they are doing. The things that offend me are the least personal directly. If any person ever felt concerned they have offended me, that is a sort of proof they haven't. If they had, I would still be gathering information and would eventually stumble onto the fact it was not intended as hurt, and then we're good.

In smaller group dynamics throughout my life and in every conceivable situation I've noticed often people becoming offended by something an individual does, and it never occurs to me to be offended. I wonder if it is spaciness, or a lack of some sort of skill, or a sort of empathy where I'm viewing the scene from each individual separately as opposed to group norms and expectations. It makes me fear I could easily offend others in groups and so default to being quiet, listening, and smiling.
I am somewhat the same way. I almost never get offended by something someone says to me. But, I am aware of offensive behavior in general and as soon as it happens I can almost predict who in the room will be offended.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
On further reflection, more than tone and text, I analyze the context of what's being said, and try to intuit from there what it really means.

chooi

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4/9
I pay almost too much attention to what is being said, whether it's in someone's language or other forms of communication. But only when it's of interest to me in trying to figure out what the other person, or people are about. I can hear everything, or I can hear nothing and be somewhere else.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
i think we focus on what is implied more than most.
Absolutely.

I focus on things that's said when it's something that seems to be not-so-obvious.

Like when someone says something to sound appeasing, I can tell. I can tell that that's not how they truly feel, but it's their way of diffusing a situation.

I focus on "how" things are said- their tone of voice, the intentions behind what they say- saying what they mean? Verses saying what they feel they *should* say. When I see that, I'll usually ask if that's what they really mean or if it's just denial. I get a 'feel' for what's said and help them seek out their own answers- their own voice. Usually, I do this to people who I feel are lacking confidence in some way.

I think a lot of the times, people will not voice their true opinions because they're pressured to 'conform' to societal standards, which strips them away from their true authentic selves. In encouraging them to voice how they sincerely feel I am happy for them, because we all deserve to feel happy and be happy, even if we're not perfect enough in society's eyes. There's beauty in the imperfections, because that's what characterizes who we are- that's what makes it so wonderful.

On the forum, I focus on the intent as well. I can tell when something's said is genuine.

PotatoPeeler68

MBTI Type
INFP
I definitely focus on words more than body language, so very true.

I think that people should be truthful in all things, so the words should
be the most important

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know I am guilty of that. I have gotten better with getting offended at jokes but I often end up overthinking things people say, the way that they were, worded, and why they would word it that way. I can see NFs reading into what people say a lot, imagining possibilities behind the meaning.

Or just generally showing concern for other people. The way that fe branches out and assesses the emotional environment, xNFJs may be prone to this. It is one of the ways that we take in information about the world and the people in it. An xNFP may asses the meaning of what is said and read into it on their fi values and worldview. What they know about themselves as well as other people, their assessments stemming from within.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Words are only a small part of it, and can either be exactly as they were intended/ nothing hidden behind them, or they could be a veneer for something else, and lots in between. It depends on the person/ knowing the person.

Body language, expression, manner of speaking, it is all important. And, all of it varies by person (ie the 'meaning' of tone or body language - ie some people have tics - which ofc indicates other important/relevant info about their personality or sense of self; or, one persons' 'brusque' is a normal way of speaking whereas another person using that same tone would be resentful or angry or any number of things. etc. ).

Too, *what is NOT said* is just as important. What is left out or not spoken of? That can illuminate just as much as what is said.