User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Personally speaking, I feel I have an internal model of the world in my head. Think of it like a huge jigsaw puzzle. Whenever I get an input (vocal or otherwise), I try to see how it fits into this puzzle. Sometimes it fits perfectly and everything is fine. But sometimes it doesn't and that's where the intuitive part of me often gets me in trouble, as it tends to over-analyse, over-generalise and jump to conclusions.
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Socionics
    ENFj

Reading people's faces and voices is super easy for me. Reading body language, however, is still something that takes more energy to try and read than the other two, which takes no energy.

I also really read into the current situation, past situations, and where the situation is headed to really get a full picture on what is going on.

It is ultimately looking at the big picture. What is the big picture of what is being said? I gather clues from every little detail that I can find (emotions, situations past, present, and future, motive, etc) to connect the pieces together.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Context, history, the person with whom I'm talking to, their body language, their tone, all of these plus what they are verbally saying go into my mind when I try to hear what they are *actually* saying.

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

I am hyper-sensitive to other people's tone, body language, general vibe... I am usually right too, usually. I like to be prepared and I like to say the right things so I look for clues as to how to act. I too often say things without thinking or go overboard sometimes so I am careful to keep my craziness to myself around people who would not ... appreciate it, haha. I think we definitely do and sometimes, it is a positive thing and sometimes it is a negative thing. If it becomes too much of a negative aspect of yourself and in your life, you need to balance it out and not care too much. But being aware of other people's intentions, because people do have hidden, unspoken intentions, can be useful. There are people who are always straight-forward and there are those who are not and is quite manipulative so studying behavior, facial and tone patterns and such is good. People can say whatever they want, anything can come out of their mouths, but it is not as easy to blatantly lie with the more subtle aspects of communication. I dislike it when people dismiss it as unimportant.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I don't tend to look at people as they are speaking so I often miss body language. It's very hard for me to hear what someone is saying if I don't. I think its because I'm a very much a visual thinker and when I look at someone, the body language and facial expression drown out the words.

This probably makes it more likely to misinterpret what people say but then it is very likely that this isn't an INFP thing...

As for picking up clues that provide insight to character, this rarely happens for me on the spot. Later, when I think about what a person said, how they said it and how they behaved I piece together theories about them. If I try to think about this at the time I wander into anti-social zone out mode which isn't usually appropriate.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Yloh View Post
    I also really read into the current situation, past situations, and where the situation is headed to really get a full picture on what is going on.

It is ultimately looking at the big picture. What is the big picture of what is being said? I gather clues from every little detail that I can find (emotions, situations past, present, and future, motive, etc) to connect the pieces together.
    This is exactly what I do as well.

I tend to overanalyze things, well, just about everything. I feel that I have to do this to convince myself that I've perceived things exactly the way they are and take into account what is said and what could be left unsaid. I do try not to jump into conclusions and I certainly don't think that whatever I come up with is the absolute truth. I realize that there are no certainties with anything.

In "real" life, the body language, tone of voice, facial expressions and so on can be helpful but usually I'm not really that aware of observing them. It's like I already "know" without paying that much attention to it and when I doubt, I can focus more for a bit.

However, in online interactions, I really miss the nonverbal communication cues and therefore the analyzing process goes into overdrive. Sometimes every single word, every sentence structure gets chewed to the point of nausea and I can't help it, I feel helpless if I can't at least make an effort to try to piece together the big picture.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by JFrombaugh View Post
    For example, I know that INFPs & INFJs can sometimes take offense and get hurt when people jokingly make fun of them (even if body language and tone suggest they don't really mean it)
    A lot of the time supposedly good natured ribbing is animosity veiled by a fake smile. I didn't begin to notice this as a power play until fairly recently in life. People often just want to insult others while maintaining plausible deniability when they become offended. I can overlook this type of behavior of it is actually funny/insightful.
    Last edited by MoneyJungle; 06-09-2010 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Brevity

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

It happens often that people say something without much intention and I overanalyze those words, usually in negative way, so that I look out for criticism and get hurt for nothing (or at least they say so)

Tell me something NFs, how wrong it is to say something like this to someone who is close to you.

To be honest with you, I don't really appreciate that you did this for me and the fact you did it personally means nothing to me.

This is what my mother got a few years back for buying me a birthday persent

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Tell me something NFs, how wrong it is to say something like this to someone who is close to you.

To be honest with you, I don't really appreciate that you did this for me and the fact you did it personally means nothing to me.

This is what my mother got a few years back for buying me a birthday persent
    You crack me up, AO. Is she still trying to get you presents? I get your rationale but yeah...it's inconsiderate. One could also argue that it's inconsiderate to keep ignoring what the other person wants or needs. But I'm sure your mother had the best intentions in mind and it meant something to her, an expression that she cares about you. It's not wrong to express your opinion but it's all about the wording because this is the sure way to hurt people's feelings when it's not really necessary. If you want things to go your way, it might be best to try to take an approach that wouldn't be so blunt but rather that explains your reasons some more.