• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] How many "friends" versus close friends?

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I met my best friend when we both forgot our swim suits for gym glass one day in 7th grade and had to sit on the bench together for the hour. I was popular at the time, and he was the biggest nerd in the school, so our social circles never crossed. An hour after talking to him and I realized that all the "friends" I had before we met were forced and mostly fake by comparison, we clicked so well. Been inseparable to this day (in spirit at least), both now pushing 40. I feel the same way about him as I do my SO, my three siblings, and another very old friend. I consider them all "family tier."

For "friend tier" I define them as having the main hallmarks of friendship- being loyal and open/honest- but they lack the perfectly natural connection of the 'family tier.' Those are who I typically refer to as friends, and there's a dozen or two. Most of them are INTJs.

As for acquaintances, I don't do them at all. Don't see the point. Anyone who isn't a friend is just a business associate to me that I'm polite to, but likely won't remember their names no matter how many times I hear them.