• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] How to tell a differance between NF types ?

Ethereal

MBTI Type
INTP
Well, one of the ways in which I type people is by identifying the 8 functions through whatever data is available.

For instance, Facebook profiles can provide many clues to type. Whenever I friend someone, I want to have as firm an idea as possible to who they really are, and I look though the profile pictures of a new friend to figure things out. bear in mind that type does not necessarily translate to FB saviness or usage, the "unique individuals" factor must be applied. What I have noted...

Extroverts put out more pictures. Introverts may update a lot, but extroverts put out more pictures. Furthermore, these extrovert pictures are more extreme in regards to certain elements...

Fe doms - People. Generally, ENFJ's and ESFJ's put up profile pictures in which they are posing with other people. This is done in a manner that shows off their friends and family, kind of like saying "I establish relationships, and these are examples". These pictures appear to be deliberate poses, and the EXFJ has an established picture-smile on their faces.

ENFP's - The Ne (and even SFP's) users are similar, but different in essentials. The presence of other people may occur, but they are not the focus. The focus is on the activity, and the people within the profile pictures are not posing as much as they are caught in the moment doing something. Kind of like "Hey look here, cheese, alright!" The P type smile is more unbounded than the J smiles, and they are also more varied.

As for the introverts...

I've noted in confirmed and suspected INFP's I know that their profile pictures feature the art that they revolve themselves around. For instance, a professional jazz drummer I know has several pics of him at the drums. My designer friend has a few pictures of herself in medieval garb, and artists often upload their art into their profile pictures. Beyond this the INFP will post like other introverts, low frequency and often erratically, and what they do upload will be more reserved than their extroverted counterparts.

The INFJ is tricky. I only know three confirmed INFJ's, and none of them are very facebook oriented. They post pictures erratically and have since become stagnant (no new pictures ). Meh, figures with Ni :rolli:

In application to real life, the way I see NF's

ENFJ - People oriented. Their idealism focuses on people and relationships, family is huge with ENFJ's. I would know, my Mother is one and her main focus is family.

ENFP - Energy focused, namely with activities and what they do with people. They are often alternatively minded. I'm not so sure about this, and I know only one ENFP for certain, and she hasn't even been tested yet. However, she is a Yoga instructor and wants to have a career in Holistic medicine.

INFP - They are reserved to a level, and seem to focus on whatever it is they create, whether it be art, writing, music, or whatever.

INFJ - They too are people oriented, but are more flexible. Hard to find really, good place to start is under rocks ;)

Also, if people are having trouble ID'ing types, then I would suggest moving away from the four letter codes. Those are meant to indicate the order of preferred functions, and are a little limited in scope to determine a full personality, which in and of itself is difficult. Try to ID the 8 functions rather than the j/p. ENFJ is Fe dom, ENFP is Ne dom. These are significantly different and easier to pick up on than trying to see if the person uses schedules or not.

(on a side note my whole facebook thing is a Ti construct that applies to both web and face based communication and is not limited to just facebook)

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, when you see four bunnies, the one with the sharper teeth is the ENFJ. The ENFP is the one with the fluffier tail while the INFP tends to be the one with the matted fur. The INFJ will likely be the one with longer ears and highly skittish. :D

Kate7

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w5
-enfj's appear consistently friendly and upbeat (on the inside, a whole gamut of shit can be going on but they will hide this from you unless you ask really wanting to know)
-enfp's appear inconsistent in their friendliness and 'upbeatness' (whatever is on the inside is plain to see and changes rapidly)
-infp's appear always friendly but rarely upbeat (hard to know what's really on the inside, depends a lot on the individual infp)
-infj's appear unfriendly and not particularly upbeat (on the inside, however, they are both - you have to approach them and engage them to find this out)

Lauren

MBTI Type
INFP
Ni doms have a more controlled vibe for me. It feels like one straight line, and the Ne's have 2 wobbly lines going off in different directions. Bad example, but that's what it feels like. I really don't think the J/P is all that accurate in helping one to type someone. Unless a person is excessively organised, then they'd probably point to being a J. My parents are both Ps but both had J parents so they're not too disorganized. The majority of my siblings however are major Ps, and I dunno if this has caused my J to be very weak. I'm very messy but I'm normally not late for appointments. Someone who has a well-developed Te should be more organized (I think?).

I think one of the harder types to type is the difference between INFP and ENFP. The ENFPs I know can be pretty introverted and need their alone time, and a lot of the INFPs I know can be pretty outgoing. I guess same goes for INFJ, because there are some VERY sociable infjs who would put some sociable enfjs to shame. Also, I think that people who have a strong Ni often have a strong Ne, cuz Ni seems to be derived from Ne.

Just be glad that full types don't always automatically pop into your head LOL. Automatically seeing labels over people's heads is probably not the greatest thing in the world. I used to automatically type ppl - ppl I didn't even know well - but am so glad that I have stopped doing that LOL

I'm not good at being able to read someone's type; only rarely is it obvious to me, for instance ISTJ. It is difficult to tell the difference between ENFP and INFP. I'm one of the more extroverted INFPs, though I can dive into a rabbit hole on a moment's notice and not come out for a long time. A good friend of mine defies typing--I can't figure out if he's an INFP, ENFP, or INTP. I am always on time or early, never late. I can't be late because I feel I'm being rude, or being late means rushing at the last minute and I hate to rush.

I definitely fit the more spacey quality that OrangeAppled describes. I usually completely focus on what someone is saying but at the same time drift away in thought while they're talking, which I think is noticeable. I'm still present and I hear them but other thoughts intrude. One thing I know about my friend is that he is a P. Ps and Js are easier to distinguish for me. Ps just never seek closure but always seem to be exploring rather than being agitated that they have not reached a destination yet. My good INFJ friend jumps right to the destination and must reach a conclusion. She becomes irritated with me at times for lingering along the path too long. I have no desire to reach a conclusion. There's always another point of view, another way of looking at things. I may have my own strong opinion but I don't have the desire to express it and am content to listen to someone else's thoughts without having to insert my own.

P

Phantonym

For me, it's not even that important to tell the difference between types. Or at least I don't obsess over it in real life, it's more like an amusing pastime. So, if I don't get a fix on them right away I just hang around them some more and things will click one way or another. :smile:

How often do you late to your appointments if it is not something very important ? (as NFs)

Never. If an appointment is set it is set. If it's not that important to me, then it might be important to the other party, so out of respect for the other party I am always on time.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
-infp's appear always friendly but rarely upbeat (hard to know what's really on the inside, depends a lot on the individual infp)

I have periods of my life when I am extremely upbeat and chirpy/bubbly - well, when I stop over-thinking and over-guessing. Like these days, I am like a bubble fountain. This is why I thought I was bipolar. :sadbanana: and :banana:

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I can easily spot other INFP's. The ones I have known are generally very quiet, but are louder when surrounded by friends. They don't really have any enemies and appear generally well-liked by most people. Have a bit of a unique, maybe even funky, style. And to an outsider, appear very polite, soft spoken and dreamy. Somebody pointed out on one of the threads here, that a lot of INFP's have a "lip pucker." It sounds weird but I think that's definantly true. I certainly have one and the other few I have known have a bit of a puckered lip as well. And yes, they are definantly interested in art in whatever form of the word. Sometimes dislikes things just because everyone else likes it, and likes to venture as far out of the mainstream as possible. There is absolutely nothing normal about them and they embrace their strangeness.

ENFP- Well, when I first met my ENFP buddy, I actually thought he was very obnoxious and couldn't stand him. He was a little abrasive. But very hilarious and quick witted. He's definantly very selfless and always sticks up for his friends. He likes getting lots of attention from people, and if he wants your attention he can get it easily because he's so charming. He talks practically non-stop about goofy things and has absolutely no problem coming to me to give him advice on girls.

INFJ- Quiet, but still able to make friends easily. Values education and creativity equally. Not like an INFP that values creativity over education. (Atleast I do.) Imaginative, but logical. Likes to analyze people and their emotions. I don't know too many INFJ's so I don't really know how accurate this portrayal is, anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

ENFJ- My cousin is ENFJ so I'm just going by what her personality is like. Hyperactive. Very, very organized. Fun-loving and witty and loveable. Is very, very strange, but she doesn't think she is. Female ENFJ's may be a bit of a tomboy, or atleast very low-maintenance. Loves animals more than people. Will talk to anyone about anything at anytime. Can be a little rebellious and defiant at times.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFP - They are reserved to a level, and seem to focus on whatever it is they create, whether it be art, writing, music, or whatever.

I would be careful not to confuse ISFPs with INFPs here - this can apply to either. ;)

Kate7 said:

-infj's appear unfriendly and not particularly upbeat (on the inside, however, they are both - you have to approach them and engage them to find this out)

Hmm...I'm told I don't appear friendly. I've usually been told that I seem aloof/snobby at first. Only until after people talk to me for a decent length of time do they realize I actually am friendly.

I find that INFJs seem more immediately seem friendly, even if it's just stiff politeness.

This might have to do more with level of introversion & individual social skills though.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFJ- Quiet, but still able to make friends easily. Values education and creativity equally. Not like an INFP that values creativity over education. (Atleast I do.) Imaginative, but logical. Likes to analyze people and their emotions. I don't know too many INFJ's so I don't really know how accurate this portrayal is, anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Sounds a lot like me. Imaginative, logical, yet at the same time compassionate about others. Think of the still waters run deep analogy. We may seem outwardly calm and cool, but below the surface the emotions run deep. INFJs tend to speak in terms of symbolism and metaphor in their everyday language. They use a lot of abstract terms in their vocabulary. Also, you might find than an INFJ will ask you questions about what you mean when you are telling them something. It goes with having introverted intuition, we think of the possible things that someone could mean when they are telling us something. INFJs are inquisitive by nature. You can tell an INFJ if they ask the question "what does this mean?" when analyzing a work of art, or someone else's actions. We value individualism too, and like it when people think outside of the box.

Lauren

MBTI Type
INFP
I would be careful not to confuse ISFPs with INFPs here - this can apply to either. ;)

Hmm...I'm told I don't appear friendly. I've usually been told that I seem aloof/snobby at first. Only until after people talk to me for a decent length of time do they realize I actually am friendly.

I find that INFJs seem more immediately seem friendly, even if it's just stiff politeness.

This might have to do more with level of introversion & individual social skills though.

Because I'm an artist (a poet) and was absorbed in drawing and painting at an early age, I once thought that I might be an S. And, I'm fairly competitive when it comes to athletics (though not other areas). I've always been physically focused. Running is deeply satisfying to me. The urge to draw and paint was not as urgent as the one to write, as I learned in time. It's the creativity I desire. But if it's one thing I'm sure of, it's that I'm an intuitive. I don't have the focus on "things" as an S has. As a poet, I love the details of life but I always connect those details to a larger picture.

I agree, at least with my INFJ friend, that they can appear more immediately friendly (the bolded part). She loves connection but can appear very prickly. I'm very friendly but I withdraw easily into myself. It's my preferred state.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How often do you late to your appointments if it is not something very important ? (as NFs)

I'm almost always exactly on time or a little early. Historically, I was always an early arriver to things. In recent years I'm sometimes a few minutes late (*gasp* lol), but yeah, usually right on time.

It's enough of a trend that my good friends comment on it/tease me about it. :blush:

Here's the thing: The reason I'm always exactly on time is because if I'm running late, I'll totally speed through traffic so as to time it about perfectly. If I'm too early, I'll take my time driving there and still get there right on time.

Yeah... I know.

:smile:

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Here's the thing: The reason I'm always exactly on time is because if I'm running late, I'll totally speed through traffic so as to time it about perfectly. If I'm too early, I'll take my time driving there and still get there right on time.

:laugh: ^ I do the same thing.

It actually makes me really happy to be 'exactly' on time. If I'm not right on time then I'm a bit early. I know I have been late before, but not too often.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
If you don't mind I will open the Pandora's box.

What are some of the reasons why ENFPs turn to introversion at some point in life ?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
do you mean why would an enfp behave like or become an introvert? or do you mean why would one become a loner or antisocial? what exactly do ya mean?

but...and i don't know if this applies to what you're asking but i'd rather be alone then in company where i didn't feel a connection or understood.

if i have exhausted all of my effort trying to form a connection on some level with someone and it just never happens. i will no longer want to be around them for any length of time...so if i were surrounded with people like that. i'd choose to be alone.

wouldn't make me an introvert though. it would just make me an extravert without any close friends...and i'd likely be super depressed.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
Ni+Te and Ni+Fe are usually two very different things. However the real problem is how do you determine which one is stronger ? Ni or Fe ?
Especially if you are somewhere with a NFJ it is quite likely that the person will automaticly use more Fe. No to mention that function order often does not work that well in the real world.

In my opinion the best way to determine NFP vs NFJ is by searching for chart the course attitude . However Fe my determine that this would be a rude thing to do, so ...........
On the other hand ENFPs are N dom. So sometimes they can show some Ni as well.

There is simply very large number of things that can go wrong when you try to type a NF. (unless you know the person well for years)
The thing is that entire N thing is a little bit blury so when you add subjective judgment(F) in the mix the typing problems are likely to occure.

You can usually tell the difference between an INFJ and an ENFJ... the INFJs are the ones talking to 1 or 2 people witholding a lot of info about themselves and are probably caked in mystery since no one will know all that much about them. The ENFJ... the ENFJ can be spotted a mile away, theyre so in your face, not in a bad way unless theyre fixing you heh.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
:laugh: ^ I do the same thing.

It actually makes me really happy to be 'exactly' on time. If I'm not right on time then I'm a bit early. I know I have been late before, but not too often.

Same, I usually arrive on average 3 minutes before the time I tell people I am going to be there lol.

G

Glycerine

You can usually tell the difference between an INFJ and an ENFJ... the INFJs are the ones talking to 1 or 2 people witholding a lot of info about themselves and are probably caked in mystery since no one will know all that much about them. The ENFJ... the ENFJ can be spotted a mile away, theyre so in your face, not in a bad way unless theyre fixing you heh.
We can be in people's faces but much of what you said about INFJs can be applied to ENFJs. We can talk our butts off but much of what we say is not very personal... we also hold a lot of info back.

Maybe INFJs have a more subdued, calming presence while ENFJs seem to have more transparent, intense energy? The ENFJs I know can bore a hole into you w/ their stares because of their huge intensity. Fe+Ni stares are downright frightening.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well i guess it would be due to not having any/or very few meaningful connections with people...perhaps due to their environment.

or...by being too weird...somehow not learning how to relate to people in any sort of socially acceptable way....so in order to protect their sensitive lil egos they retreat... ??? not sure.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

Yeah... I know.

:smile:
This does not work at all when you don't leave your house until after you are already supposed to be somewhere. :doh: