• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] How to tell a differance between NF types ?

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
We can be in people's faces but much of what you said about INFJs can be applied to ENFJs. We can talk our butts off but much of what we say is not very personal... we also hold a lot of info back.

Maybe INFJs have a more subdued, calming presence while ENFJs seem to have more transparent, intense energy? The ENFJs I know can bore a hole into you w/ their stares because of their huge intensity. Fe+Ni stares are downright frightening.

I've been on the other side of that stare. I dunno, the ENFJs I know just tend to be really kind of, I dont want to say it insultingly but pushy. All up in my business, trying to figure my ish out... and it feels kind of like being invaded sometimes.

I will say however that my best friend is an ENFJ and I rely on his pushy, judgmental Fe more then anything when I don't know the answer to what I am feeling myself, which sadly is quite often. Hes the only one who can really pry information out of me though which is cool, I share the msot with him, so dont think I am putting ENFJs down. Totally not.

G

Glycerine

I've been on the other side of that stare. I dunno, the ENFJs I know just tend to be really kind of, I dont want to say it insultingly but pushy. All up in my business, trying to figure my ish out... and it feels kind of like being invaded sometimes.

I will say however that my best friend is an ENFJ and I rely on his pushy, judgmental Fe more then anything when I don't know the answer to what I am feeling myself, which sadly is quite often. Hes the only one who can really pry information out of me though which is cool, I share the msot with him, so dont think I am putting ENFJs down. Totally not.
I gotcha. I can get pushy if I am nervous/stressed/irritated. However, I don't really see Fe as judgmental (unless it's overbearing).

I have also been around an ENFJ who has tried to figure me out. It's pretty nerve-racking. It's like "keep it to yourself, damn it... don't comment on everything you notice about me (esp. if we are not that close)". Generally speaking (in a normal state), I try to leave people's personal shit alone.

One other possibility is that many ENFJs are enneagram 2 or have a 2 wing so it exacerbates the behavior. My e 2 INFP mother is much more likely to get in the middle of something and try to help and correct others' behavior while I, e3w4 ENFJ just ignore the problem and just pretend nothing's going on. In real life, I'm a huge fucking pushover.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What are some of the reasons why ENFPs turn to introversion at some point in life ?

I would guess it's a general disposition for occasional moodiness. And when they're depressed, they may withdraw as most people do.

Talisyn

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9-1
Hey Antisocial one, glad to see you around again.

I would suggest reading about the interaction styles of the types. On this site they have each temperament's types divided by four interaction styles. They are easy to use and make a lot of sense-

Interaction Styles

I picked which seemed like my style, and then substyle and landed right in INFP-land... so I'd say accurate....

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I think you can guess on the strength of Fe vs Fi and between ENFPs and INFPs on the strength of Ne vs Fi.

There is a clear difference between ENFJ and INFJ. I have said 'Fe' is almost physically palpable but ENFJs exemplify this. Their Fe is more directive/in your face kinda like Billy said. It "throws" farther if that makes sense.

The Fe in INFJs is kinda like the 'special twist' that keeps even the most introverted INFJs from totally fading from the background. The Fe makes them obviously *engaged* even when quiet. The Fe makes INFJs extremely caring in "doing", demonstrated ways - the INFJ I dated was incredibly warm and loving (likes lots of physical affection/displays etc). While we were dating, the warmth of Fe really shone through.

INFPs...not so engaged. LOL. There is a 50/50 chance that when an INFP is quiet they have spaced out or are thinking about something completely different. Similar to INTPs. INFPs and INTPs actually are very similar upon first meeting.

Being Fi dom, INFPs can seem prickly and cold like Orange said. Compared to the other NFs, there is much more a sense of being an island.

ENFPs are Ne dom/Fi aux so it's like extraversion/P kicked up a notch. There are many ENFPs who are CLEAR extraverts.

However, I don't think I've ever met an INFP who I didn't readily read as an introvert, but I have met ENFPs who were not clearly extraverted however if you watch for the clinical definition of 'extraverted' (drawing energy from external world) and not the common understanding of the word (talkative, a partier) you can see the extraversion.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Being Fi dom, INFPs can seem prickly and cold like Orange said. Compared to the other NFs, there is much more a sense of being an island.

durian-13202353_std.jpg

Prickly on the outside, soft and mushy in the inside, but very much an acquired taste :D

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
^^ Oh mang, you just compared yourself to a durian!!?! And you're from Malaysia??

:yim_rolling_on_the_

PS I don't mind Durian then again I have no sense of smell. And I much prefer jackfruit or even starfruit which tastes like cucumbers to me. One of my brother's dogs won't touch the stuff but the other dog LOVES it and was pulling pieces of it out of the trash, lol.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
^ To be honest, I've never understood why people say it stinks :whistling::thinking:

Quiet

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
First of all: I am not interested in theory and functions since I know theory pretty well. In what I am more interested is how this looks in practice.

I mean it is easy when a persons type is "obvious". But what if it is not ?

For example ambitious, somewhat organized and a little bit shy ENFP can look alot like INFJ that is not totally J. (like INTJ and ENTP)

The differenace between INFPs and ENFPs is also often quite hard to determine.

Despite function order ENFP are often quite skillful at using Fe. (even if they are often denying that)

While INFJs often have pretty good Fi in the background.

Etc.

In real life if I have to guess someones type and the person seems like an NF I usually just leave it at that since it can be hard to correctly type NFs. (at least it is to me)

The problem is that NFs often hide alot from other people. Especially if they don't know about MBTI or something similar since they dont want to feel alieneted or too vulnerbale.

So, is there some "tricks" when it comes to NFs ?
You don't have to explain everything just post the tip about differance between type x and type y that you have noticed.

Pay attention to the speech of an INFP verses an INFJ. Both will have pauses, but J's are using Ti which gives them an inwardly distant gaze. A P is using Te which can serve as a distraction thus they can easily lose track of what they were saying. Te gazes are an outwardly distant look.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I recongize types based on my own reactions to them. So, I don't as much read people (even if I do that too) but recognize them by the feelings they bring out in myself (using combination of Ne-Fi, I guess).

ENFJ's are the most easy for me to recognize. They are adorable people that I'm almost instantly ready to adore and almost worship. They have the attraction and warmness radiating from them. People follow them to anywhere (except for some IxTx's I guess). I think you could identify ENFJ's by checking the reactions of other peopel to them, Antisocial?

Recognizing INFJ's is a bit more difficult because they are very reserved. But with INFJ's I sense the F in them (they are not so distant as INTP's or INTJ's), they have "warmth" in their eyes. ISFJ's feel much more sensitive than INFJ's. So, I identify INFJ's by identifying first what they are not (INTP, INTJ, ISFJ). INFJ's don't have the same randomness in them as IxFP's so that is why I don't usually mix them up with IxFP's. So, me identifying INFJ is checking if they are INTP, INTJ, ISFJ and if they are not any of those, then it's probably INFJ. ;)

INFP's and ENFP's I recognize straight away if they get to go to their Ne talking. It seems so familar that it's like hearing somebody else talking to you your own thoughts. Otherwise it might be difficult for me to identify xNFP's and I might think ENFP as ENTP especially with males and INFP's with ISFP's.

But I don't know if this helps you at all Antisocial, because I do identifying people based on my reactions to them, not by objective observations as you would probably do. (?)