User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Default NF's and communcication.

Are all NF's good conversationalists or are there exceptions?

MBTI
    ENFP

I'm a good conversationalist, but I am not interested in speaking to most people. If the person I am speaking with is not interesting to me, then I am probably a poor conversationalist in those situations.
    INF's can be very guarded, and though they will make you feel good, they may not progress the conversation as well as other types...some of them at least...

Also, many NF's are terribly shy. Timidity is a hindrance to good conversation, and now that I'm thinking about it, NT's may be better conversationalists provided you are actually talking about something. NF's will keep it light and skim the surface just to maintain a pleasant atmosphere.
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

Phantonym

I'm a far better listener than I am a conversationalist. I'm passive and unless it's something I really want to talk about (happens rarely), I won't initiate a conversation and it might also appear that I'm not even interested in continuing the conversation. People usually give up and I let them.

I might guess that with NF's it depends on the topic of the conversation and how interested and knowledgeable they are in that topic, how willing they are to share, plus also the conversation partner and how the dynamic of the conversation flows has an important part in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Into It View Post
    NF's will keep it light and skim the surface just to maintain a pleasant atmosphere.
    This I can see happening when there really isn't the right kind of conditions for a conversation to venture into something more deeper.
    Last edited by Phantonym; 06-02-2010 at 03:23 PM.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Into It View Post
    NF's will keep it light and skim the surface just to maintain a pleasant atmosphere.
    Yeah, I guess my conversation style will be more reactive than proactive. Certainly won't throw something out there just to start a lively discussion. Unless it's something I'm truly passionate about. Then I'll be gushing worse than the Deepwater Horizon well...
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Asor View Post
    I'm inclined to say that there are exceptions to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    I might guess that with NF's it depends on the topic of the conversation and how interested and knowledgeable they are in that topic...
    This is very true.
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

It totally depends on what kind of vibe the other person is giving off, what they say/tone and how I feel in that particular moment. If I am stuck inside my head thinking about something, I might not be as 'engaging'. If I am totally in the moment and the environment makes me feel comfortable, I am actually very chirpy and tend to joke around a lot. Some people are very talkative and give off a vibe of liking to talk and to joke around. Some people are more reserved in their vibe and it's hard to figure out what to say to them, if anything.

The most awkward thing is to be all chirpy on your end but receive nothing back ... so awkward. I like to avoid that. I usually give as much as I am given. I have gotten better with small talk with age/experience. I still feel very socially awkward most of the time, haha. But if people are very friendly to me, I am very friendly back, that's not hard. Whereas other people toss sentences out without waiting to see how it is perceived, I wait and test the waters. When I toss words out, I want it to be appreciated/acknowledged/understood. Sometimes I am blunt and can say the wrong thing, esp. if I am feeling giddy, then I don't filter what I say.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

if i can talk freely without being judged or debated than yeah i'm a very easy breezy conversationalist that likes to explore a lot of topics and ask a lot of questions.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    if i can talk freely without being judged or debated than yeah i'm a very easy breezy conversationalist that likes to explore a lot of topics and ask a lot of questions.

And that would be because ....... ?

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Sometimes I just don't know what to say. Then I prefer to be silent, but I like talking too. It really depends on my mood, the people I'm with and the overall atmosphere.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Asor View Post
    There are exceptions to almost anything...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.