• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF's and communcication.

Asor

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Are all NF's good conversationalists or are there exceptions?

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
I'm a good conversationalist, but I am not interested in speaking to most people. If the person I am speaking with is not interesting to me, then I am probably a poor conversationalist in those situations.
INF's can be very guarded, and though they will make you feel good, they may not progress the conversation as well as other types...some of them at least...

Also, many NF's are terribly shy. Timidity is a hindrance to good conversation, and now that I'm thinking about it, NT's may be better conversationalists provided you are actually talking about something. NF's will keep it light and skim the surface just to maintain a pleasant atmosphere.

P

Phantonym

I'm a far better listener than I am a conversationalist. I'm passive and unless it's something I really want to talk about (happens rarely), I won't initiate a conversation and it might also appear that I'm not even interested in continuing the conversation. People usually give up and I let them.

I might guess that with NF's it depends on the topic of the conversation and how interested and knowledgeable they are in that topic, how willing they are to share, plus also the conversation partner and how the dynamic of the conversation flows has an important part in it.

NF's will keep it light and skim the surface just to maintain a pleasant atmosphere.

This I can see happening when there really isn't the right kind of conditions for a conversation to venture into something more deeper.

Last edited:

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
NF's will keep it light and skim the surface just to maintain a pleasant atmosphere.

Yeah, I guess my conversation style will be more reactive than proactive. Certainly won't throw something out there just to start a lively discussion. Unless it's something I'm truly passionate about. Then I'll be gushing worse than the Deepwater Horizon well... :D

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Are all NF's good conversationalists or are there exceptions?

I'm inclined to say that there are exceptions to everything. :happy2:

I might guess that with NF's it depends on the topic of the conversation and how interested and knowledgeable they are in that topic...

This is very true.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
It totally depends on what kind of vibe the other person is giving off, what they say/tone and how I feel in that particular moment. If I am stuck inside my head thinking about something, I might not be as 'engaging'. If I am totally in the moment and the environment makes me feel comfortable, I am actually very chirpy and tend to joke around a lot. Some people are very talkative and give off a vibe of liking to talk and to joke around. Some people are more reserved in their vibe and it's hard to figure out what to say to them, if anything.

The most awkward thing is to be all chirpy on your end but receive nothing back ... so awkward. I like to avoid that. I usually give as much as I am given. I have gotten better with small talk with age/experience. I still feel very socially awkward most of the time, haha. But if people are very friendly to me, I am very friendly back, that's not hard. Whereas other people toss sentences out without waiting to see how it is perceived, I wait and test the waters. When I toss words out, I want it to be appreciated/acknowledged/understood. Sometimes I am blunt and can say the wrong thing, esp. if I am feeling giddy, then I don't filter what I say.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
if i can talk freely without being judged or debated than yeah i'm a very easy breezy conversationalist that likes to explore a lot of topics and ask a lot of questions.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
if i can talk freely without being judged or debated than yeah i'm a very easy breezy conversationalist that likes to explore a lot of topics and ask a lot of questions.

And that would be because ....... ?

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Sometimes I just don't know what to say. Then I prefer to be silent, but I like talking too. It really depends on my mood, the people I'm with and the overall atmosphere.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am most definitely not a good conversationalists.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Just yesterday I had a 30 minute conversation with a very boring person. Does that mean I'm good?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
so cleverly disguised ao! haha i totally believe you!

no... just saying i like conversation to flow...ideas and perspectives bounced back and forth in an exploratory sharing sort of way. i don't enjoy stopping to convince someone of anything i have no desire to push my opinions on others and don't appreciate it done to me...i can play devils advocate in a detached way about ideas all day long with someone...just exploring certain points that i'm not attached to but if it's my opinion...don't debate me on it....it's annoying.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
so cleverly disguised ao! haha i totally believe you!

no... just saying i like conversation to flow...ideas and perspectives bounced back and forth in an exploratory sharing sort of way. i don't enjoy stopping to convince someone of anything i have no desire to push my opinions on others and don't appreciate it done to me...i can play devils advocate in a detached way about ideas all day long with someone...just exploring certain points that i'm not attached to but if it's my opinion...don't debate me on it....it's annoying.

The thing is that people often tend to get stressed when they are talking to me (especially FPs) So I was asking out of "curiosity".

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah i don't know if it's a type thing really a lot of enfps like debate i think.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It really depends. NFs can be reclusive in their conversations or they can easily go overboard. There are times when excitement over a topic drives us to forget all social protocol.
Generally though, if you get an NF started on something, they will know how to go with the flow or maintain the proper level of conversation to encompass others.
T's can definitely get on a topic and run with it, but consider if it is easy to actually follow.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Depends on the conversation topic. If I feel I have something of intelligence to add, I'll contribute. If I don't, I just shut up and listen.