• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFP & Patterns

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
I've often read that ENFPs are great at noticing patterns, but what does this mean exactly? Patterns in people's behaviors? Patterns in ideas? How is this different than Si and recalling past events and information to predict the future?

Any examples would help

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Not really sure, but my Ne picks up patterns like mmm how could i explain it.. For example i can see if someone is good person or not by picking up patterns on his/hers behaviour, like if he does this and this, he will most likely do this and that in other situation alike. But when looking at patterns on behavior, there is so many patterns that people follow on their way of thinking that you need to know many patterns and what pattern he uses in some certain situations.

Other uses for following patterns like this could be on music or stuff like that.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Everything has a meaning, and if this means this then that might mean that. Drawing parallels and the possible implications of actions ...sometimes NOT based on previous experience at all, but just based on what would make sense in that scenario considering parallel ones.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I've been interested in patterns since I've had sentience.

I remember in kindergarten staying in class during recess, drawing on a pilgrim's hat, binary patterns in a linear fashion, over, and over again.

:)

mangos123

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
7w8
Hii! I'm a new and just discovered I'm an ENFP! :) I definitely am good at seeing human behavior patterns.

A simple example I can explain is based on growing up with my sister, who totally had OCD and was a neat freak. So I saw a lot of patterns there (of course)

At college in one of my classes, I noticed one of my new friends used the hand sanitizer machine by our door, and thought to myself, oh thats funny I wonder why he thought his hands were dirty. And then the next day in class I asked "Can I borrow your pencil??!" and excitedly grabbed it before he answered. We got along well, and both were happy people, so I thought he wouldn't mind. He smiled, but I saw him staring at the pencil the whole time I was writing with it (I used it just for a minute!). I IMMEDIATELY just knew he was OCD, quickly linking this situation, to the hand sanitizer, and to the fact that he's very organized and I just had that feeling. I also bluntly then blurted "OMG you are OCD" and he laughed. He said it was true and thought it was funny how I knew b/c he's never told anyone that and I've only known him for a short period of time, where he had never really done anything OCD behavior like.

I'm naturally curious about why people do the things they do, and always see connections b/w their motives & actions, so I have a good idea about what makes people tick just by watching their behavior

I think it's different from Si b/c I don't remember what people do, just how they do the things they do. Like I remember more about intangibles than tangible things. I could not tell you what color shirt my friend was wearing or his last name (even though he has told me it 5 times!) But I can tell you his major, his goals for the class, and what he wants to do in life.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
As far as I can remember, as a kid, at age 5 I would notice patterns in my female cousins' behaviors. I can tell when things would get roudy or dramatic. As a liaison, I would work out disputes between all of them like a ring-leader so we can put the bullshit aside and all have fun!

Other ways? I remember when I used to lay there and stare at the popcorn on the acoustic ceilings of the apartment room and look at patterns in the curtains and shadows that would cast from the pockets of sunlight. I remember looking at clouds and thinking how much they resemble pictures from my imagination. It was my way of keeping in touch with my dad, who I imagined was in heaven. Clouds that resembled waves would tell me that he was okay and enjoying the crashing surfs from above. Days when purple sky's were clear and the golden sun would set down on the horizen, I felt an inner sense of warmth/peace. I was just a little kid.

Pretty much- patterns for me were mostly related to people, art, and beauty. Oh and I was also patient at taking apart knots. :)

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I am going to subscribe to this thread, because there is something REALLY important in here, that we, as ENFPs, need to discuss, I think, regarding our particular type of intelligence regarding pattern recognition in human beings/behavior.

:yes:

I'm kinda running on empty so I can't really say anything of substance right now, but I've thought about this A LOT before, and want to compose some thoughts/share some ideas, experiences, theories, etc.

:D

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Keep these answers going, I am starting to peice together some ideas...

PS:
How do you subscribe to threads?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Thread tools, upper right, then click subscribe to thread.

:)

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I am going to subscribe to this thread, because there is something REALLY important in here, that we, as ENFPs, need to discuss, I think, regarding our particular type of intelligence regarding pattern recognition in human beings/behavior.

I think SillySapienne is right. This is one of the major strengths of my personality. And, it is a VERY strong thing in me.

I've always noticed visual patterns, even as a little girl. And, perhaps this is why I love the visual arts so much.

But most of the patterns I observe are in people's behavior. In fact, this ability is so strong within me it's sometimes a burden because I feel like I can't turn it off. At times I get sick of it.

Limits of Ne
Whenever we notice something, we ignore something else. I finally realized that my strong Ne (I'm like 100% N) while a gift in some circumstances, was a burden in others. For example, I have a hard time paying attention to details. Whenever I'm in a situation that I'm forced to do so, I'm frustrated... no matter how well I've learned to suck it up.

Gifts of Ne
But Ne is a gift, too. I can tell you after a very short amount of time what makes someone tick. I can do the same for a culture or a religion or a philosophical faction. I focus my attention on people more than things. I observe discreet behaviors across time and geography and am able to put them together into a bigger operating theory.

Perhaps this is one of the reasons I find MBTI so fascinating. I'm constantly seeing the puzzle pieces fitting together per the theory. It's constant. And, at times overwhelming.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Question for ENFPs : How many tabs do you usually have open in your browser at the same time? :D

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think SillySapienne is right. This is one of the major strengths of my personality. And, it is a VERY strong thing in me.

I've always noticed visual patterns, even as a little girl. And, perhaps this is why I love the visual arts so much.

But most of the patterns I observe are in people's behavior. In fact, this ability is so strong within me it's sometimes a burden because I feel like I can't turn it off. At times I get sick of it.

Limits of Ne
Whenever we notice something, we ignore something else. I finally realized that my strong Ne (I'm like 100% N) while a gift in some circumstances, was a burden in others. For example, I have a hard time paying attention to details. Whenever I'm in a situation that I'm forced to do so, I'm frustrated... no matter how well I've learned to suck it up.

Gifts of Ne
But Ne is a gift, too. I can tell you after a very short amount of time what makes someone tick. I can do the same for a culture or a religion or a philosophical faction. I focus my attention on people more than things. I observe discreet behaviors across time and geography and am able to put them together into a bigger operating theory.

Perhaps this is one of the reasons I find MBTI so fascinating. I'm constantly seeing the puzzle pieces fitting together per the theory. It's constant. And, at times overwhelming.
totally...exactly...i believe this is what makes us so nonjudgmental. we put all the pieces together and intimately understand why someone made the choices they made with the experiences they had.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I have never really thought about it much but I suppose I am strong with the patterns too. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, when I was younger I was constantly drawing patterns. I would spend all of study hall drawing full page patterns that were really useless but just kept my mind entertained.

With interconnected systems I see patterns quickly, sometimes I can't explain them. I'll know if something is going to succeed or fail because I have drawn a parallel with something else and I don't even realize what it is sometimes. I'll "not be feeling good about this one" but I don't know why and I have to sit around and humor everyone else who has to see it to believe it. Left on my own I'm a great troubleshooter but in a group I'm not convincing enough to get people to drop it and move on based on my intuition.

However, I have never thought about this much in relation to human behavior. I'm sure I do it but I've never consciously thought about it. What does this feel like? As others have mentioned I have a great intuition about people in general and I can pick up their motivations, desires, feelings easily, but I have never thought about this in relations to patterns. It is probably another case where I am doing it on auto pilot I guess. I'm not sure?

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
I see patterns in people in how they behave and respond to a situation. If I imagine having a conversation with them, I am usually dead-on or I see a couple of scenarios of how it'd go and one of them would be right, almost word by word. One time, I had a little 'dream' of reading a message from this guy. A month or so later, I actually get the message from this guy and I was sooo accurate it was freaky. This has happened more than once. Sometimes I'm like, did we have this conversation before?

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
It took me a while to fully articulate my ability to see patterns in people's behaviors.

Perhaps I first noticed that I was interested in literature and history in K-12 school. Then in college, I discovered psychology, comparative religion, philosophy, sociology, and political economy.

But what really helped me see this part of myself was Jungian Typology. I think that learning the theory behind MBTI helped me better articulate my predisposition to seeing patterns in human behavior. I'd had this tendency my whole life, but I had to learn to see it. And, I had to learn to talk about it.

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4

Limits of Ne

Gifts of Ne

totally...exactly...i believe this is what makes us so nonjudgmental. we put all the pieces together and intimately understand why someone made the choices they made with the experiences they had.

I can relate to all of this, all of this and everything that anyone else has said, so is this the patterns? I guess I just kinda thought when I did this stuff in my mind it was just that I "knew" or "understood" someone well so that's why I was intune with it. I kinda just knew when things would turn out a way, or know how to communicate to someone because of how I've seen them act in the past to certain events (related or somewhat related).

To me, I don't understand how all types of people don't do this, I mean, we all live with people and see them in every day situations, why can't everyone learn how to adapt and guesstimate how someone is going to act...?

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I kinda just knew when things would turn out a way, or know how to communicate to someone because of how I've seen them act in the past to certain events (related or somewhat related).

To me, I don't understand how all types of people don't do this, I mean, we all live with people and see them in every day situations, why can't everyone learn how to adapt and guesstimate how someone is going to act...?
I am with you. It amazes me how much different it is for me versus what I see from coworkers and stuff. Like, conflicts at work, it can be something that half the team has been struggling with for months, I can call and talk to whoever they are conflicting with and usually have the whole thing smoothed out and everyone happy within a couple of minutes.

And I get MUCH better customer service from most businesses than my wife (ESTJ) does. I think it has to be because I understand who I am talking to and I recognize how they will respond to certain things even if I've never met them before. They loosely fit a general pattern that I've seen before.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yep yep...i have always felt like i would make a good mediator or marriage counselor because i think(sounds way arrogant i know) i understand where people are coming from easier than a lot of others...like i hear what someone is saying to someone else and i get the reason they're using the language and tone and mannerisms that they're using...i get what they're worried about and why and what kind of response they're looking for and then...i see the other persons response and do the same thing...and sometimes have to rephrase things so that it's in a language they understand and conveys what it's meant to...it seems like i was constantly doing that in my family...kinda weird

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Yeah, it boggles my mind

And I get MUCH better customer service from most businesses than my wife (ESTJ) does. I think it has to be because I understand who I am talking to and I recognize how they will respond to certain things even if I've never met them before. They loosely fit a general pattern that I've seen before.

Now, how does recalling this pattern of what you've seen before differ than Si?

(i just need clarification and more info)

Is it because it deals with people and not things? Is it because we can't recall the EXACT instance, but rather just a vague idea?