User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: ENFP & Patterns

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Default ENFP & Patterns

I've often read that ENFPs are great at noticing patterns, but what does this mean exactly? Patterns in people's behaviors? Patterns in ideas? How is this different than Si and recalling past events and information to predict the future?

Any examples would help

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Not really sure, but my Ne picks up patterns like mmm how could i explain it.. For example i can see if someone is good person or not by picking up patterns on his/hers behaviour, like if he does this and this, he will most likely do this and that in other situation alike. But when looking at patterns on behavior, there is so many patterns that people follow on their way of thinking that you need to know many patterns and what pattern he uses in some certain situations.

Other uses for following patterns like this could be on music or stuff like that.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Everything has a meaning, and if this means this then that might mean that. Drawing parallels and the possible implications of actions ...sometimes NOT based on previous experience at all, but just based on what would make sense in that scenario considering parallel ones.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've been interested in patterns since I've had sentience.

I remember in kindergarten staying in class during recess, drawing on a pilgrim's hat, binary patterns in a linear fashion, over, and over again.

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Hii! I'm a new and just discovered I'm an ENFP! I definitely am good at seeing human behavior patterns.

A simple example I can explain is based on growing up with my sister, who totally had OCD and was a neat freak. So I saw a lot of patterns there (of course)

At college in one of my classes, I noticed one of my new friends used the hand sanitizer machine by our door, and thought to myself, oh thats funny I wonder why he thought his hands were dirty. And then the next day in class I asked "Can I borrow your pencil??!" and excitedly grabbed it before he answered. We got along well, and both were happy people, so I thought he wouldn't mind. He smiled, but I saw him staring at the pencil the whole time I was writing with it (I used it just for a minute!). I IMMEDIATELY just knew he was OCD, quickly linking this situation, to the hand sanitizer, and to the fact that he's very organized and I just had that feeling. I also bluntly then blurted "OMG you are OCD" and he laughed. He said it was true and thought it was funny how I knew b/c he's never told anyone that and I've only known him for a short period of time, where he had never really done anything OCD behavior like.

I'm naturally curious about why people do the things they do, and always see connections b/w their motives & actions, so I have a good idea about what makes people tick just by watching their behavior

I think it's different from Si b/c I don't remember what people do, just how they do the things they do. Like I remember more about intangibles than tangible things. I could not tell you what color shirt my friend was wearing or his last name (even though he has told me it 5 times!) But I can tell you his major, his goals for the class, and what he wants to do in life.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

As far as I can remember, as a kid, at age 5 I would notice patterns in my female cousins' behaviors. I can tell when things would get roudy or dramatic. As a liaison, I would work out disputes between all of them like a ring-leader so we can put the bullshit aside and all have fun!

Other ways? I remember when I used to lay there and stare at the popcorn on the acoustic ceilings of the apartment room and look at patterns in the curtains and shadows that would cast from the pockets of sunlight. I remember looking at clouds and thinking how much they resemble pictures from my imagination. It was my way of keeping in touch with my dad, who I imagined was in heaven. Clouds that resembled waves would tell me that he was okay and enjoying the crashing surfs from above. Days when purple sky's were clear and the golden sun would set down on the horizen, I felt an inner sense of warmth/peace. I was just a little kid.

Pretty much- patterns for me were mostly related to people, art, and beauty. Oh and I was also patient at taking apart knots.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I am going to subscribe to this thread, because there is something REALLY important in here, that we, as ENFPs, need to discuss, I think, regarding our particular type of intelligence regarding pattern recognition in human beings/behavior.

I'm kinda running on empty so I can't really say anything of substance right now, but I've thought about this A LOT before, and want to compose some thoughts/share some ideas, experiences, theories, etc.

`

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Keep these answers going, I am starting to peice together some ideas...

PS:
    How do you subscribe to threads?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Thread tools, upper right, then click subscribe to thread.

`

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by SillySapienne View Post
    I am going to subscribe to this thread, because there is something REALLY important in here, that we, as ENFPs, need to discuss, I think, regarding our particular type of intelligence regarding pattern recognition in human beings/behavior.
    I think SillySapienne is right. This is one of the major strengths of my personality. And, it is a VERY strong thing in me.

I've always noticed visual patterns, even as a little girl. And, perhaps this is why I love the visual arts so much.

But most of the patterns I observe are in people's behavior. In fact, this ability is so strong within me it's sometimes a burden because I feel like I can't turn it off. At times I get sick of it.

Limits of Ne
    Whenever we notice something, we ignore something else. I finally realized that my strong Ne (I'm like 100% N) while a gift in some circumstances, was a burden in others. For example, I have a hard time paying attention to details. Whenever I'm in a situation that I'm forced to do so, I'm frustrated... no matter how well I've learned to suck it up.

Gifts of Ne
    But Ne is a gift, too. I can tell you after a very short amount of time what makes someone tick. I can do the same for a culture or a religion or a philosophical faction. I focus my attention on people more than things. I observe discreet behaviors across time and geography and am able to put them together into a bigger operating theory.

Perhaps this is one of the reasons I find MBTI so fascinating. I'm constantly seeing the puzzle pieces fitting together per the theory. It's constant. And, at times overwhelming.