User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default INFP - Spirituality

This has probably been spoken about before, but do any other INFPs feel empty without any sort of spiritual connection? I read this in one description

"They're more spiritually aware than most people, and are more in touch with their soul than others. Most INFPs have strong Faith. Those that don't feel as if they're missing something important. An INFP should nourish their faith."

This describes me to a tee because because the darkest time in my life has been when I was not practicing my faith.

I was wondering if this is true especially for Christian INFPs. And if it is true do you find your weaknesses, especially with depression easier to deal with or nearly eradicated when you are spiritually mature?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I feel the complete opposite.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

I completely disagree too. I don't see it as a necessity for an INFP. Personally, the idea of God/the higher power conflicts with my own moral principles. "If God does not exist, humans themselves freely choose their own essence, that is, freely choose both their own purpose in life and their own means to that purpose. The etymology of the word "existence" discloses to Sartre an emphasis upon human freedom."

But my isfj friend finds great solace in her God/Jesus. I'd say it's a very individual, not type related thing.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    I feel the complete opposite.
    Same
    "I put the fires out."
    "you made them worse."
    "worse...or better?"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

There was a thread on a related topic here. It covered a bit of spirituality vs. religion vs. belief in God.

I'm a Christian INFP that does not view himself as very spiritual. My faith is more intellectual than spiritual. I don't think this is natural though. I want to be more spiritual, but I'm still fighting against the emotional manipulation I encountered in the church for most of my life.

But, even as i desire to be more spiritual through more praying and hymn/psalm singing I still remain terribly suspicious of most forms of mysticism.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INFP

I'm with you beefeater, My faith is more intellectual than spiritual. I find myself using more of a T function when I study the Bible. I even research ways to prove the existence of a higher power and/or certain events. Which is one of the reasons why I thought I was INTP for a while

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexMind View Post
    do you find your weaknesses, especially with depression easier to deal with or nearly eradicated when you are spiritually mature?
    Yes. I find when I make that a focus/priority, I am significantly less anxious about problems in my life. I get perspective on what is important & feel much happier.

Interesting to hear others take an "intellectual" approach to spirituality and/or their religion. I did the same, and it was not until I did allow it to touch my heart that I could really accept anything as spiritual truth. I had what I'd call head knowledge as a teen, but my heart was not fully in it.

It's funny, cuz I notice other people frequently do the opposite in regards to their beliefs (whether religious or not) - they have an emotional reaction and then they sort of rationalize it....
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

My best friend told me the other day, I'm one of the most spiritual people he knows, which freaked me out at bit, because I feel I'm far from it. I'm not religous, a bit new agey, if I must be some thing, but he said it's not that you openly practise anything, it's that every thing you do is infused with meaning. (I answered so when I shower, I do so with meaning).
    I don't think we necessarily feel it our selves, but I think we can appear so to others.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexMind View Post
    This has probably been spoken about before, but do any other INFPs feel empty without any sort of spiritual connection? I read this in one description

"They're more spiritually aware than most people, and are more in touch with their soul than others. Most INFPs have strong Faith. Those that don't feel as if they're missing something important. An INFP should nourish their faith."

This describes me to a tee because because the darkest time in my life has been when I was not practicing my faith.

I was wondering if this is true especially for Christian INFPs. And if it is true do you find your weaknesses, especially with depression easier to deal with or nearly eradicated when you are spiritually mature?
    I don't like this description - it goes too far and misses the mark. It does have a point that INFPs have a spiritual side but in the broader sense of the word. Spirituality can be an intense introspectiveness, a deep philosophical interest in human nature or in moral contemplation. These matters tend to be a part of an INFP's life; whether they are of a religious nature varies from individual to individual.

I am an agnostic atheist and have a deep respect for and fascination with religion but am incapable of belief - my instinct strongly preclude it. I am glad that your faith gives you strength and guidance, ComplexMind. I too look for answers inside myself - we merely differ in where we believe those answers come from. I guess I am spiritual without religious belief.