User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default INFP - Do you find yourself, Doubting Yourself?

I was wondering if it is a common trait for an INFP to doubt him/herself. I feel like I have so much potential but I always find myself rationalizing out of a dream, or an idea. It's always, I'm not extroverted enough, I don't have the tenacity to follow through with it, or I'm just not organized enough or a myriad of things. Do any other INFPs experience this self-deprecating behavior?

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I realize that what I put out into the universe is what I will get back.
    I have a tendency to put myself down and doubt myself, but that only makes me self prophetic in the worst kind of way.
    You bring to yourself what you project.
    Even what seems a gift can be wolf in sheep's clothing.
    So think highly of yourself as I am learning to do.
    You will attract success.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

Yes. What I have tried to do with this doubt is tell myself that

i have to stop making excuses. traits can be learned and perfected. no one is born to become competent. you make yourself that way. you go through risks and mistakes, just like everybody else. get out of your head and stop over thinking everything. sometimes you just have to get your hands dirty and do it and see how it goes and what else needs to be done for it to work. establish what you want, what your life is about, what your whole person is about, and outline steps toward it. a lot of the times, because there is so much going on in my head, what i need to do is make a straight-forward list of what's what and focus on what i can do and the idea of 'improvement' and 'progression', not what i can't.

the change in attitude won't be overnight, notice that i said 'tried', i am doing MUCH better, but i am still trying, some days are harder than others for me.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexMind View Post
    I was wondering if it is a common trait for an INFP to doubt him/herself. I feel like I have so much potential but I always find myself rationalizing out of a dream, or an idea. It's always, I'm not extroverted enough, I don't have the tenacity to follow through with it, or I'm just not organized enough or a myriad of things. Do any other INFPs experience this self-deprecating behavior?
    That's the drawback of being an introverted idealist. Your inner world/vision is so grand that reality will rarely jive with it. So you either feel discouraged and angry at reality, or you start blaming yourself for not meeting your goals. The truth is somewhere in the middle. Understanding your limitations is a good step, but at the same time you should not use it as a crutch to say "I cannot do this" or "I will never be successful". Concentrate instead on what you can do, what your gifts are, and start putting them to good use. Don't be discouraged if you don't do a perfect job. Even 51% is better than the average!
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I do it a lot. For awhile I made the conscious effort to replace all negative, self-doubting thoughts with positive ones. It sort of worked.... I took more chances and made some good progress. But then when something doesn't work out, it is easy to slide back into old ways of thinking.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2

only every day. I will think of something and after thinking about it I will find out its flaws and just dismiss it as a failure before it has a chance to become anything.
    "I put the fires out."
    "you made them worse."
    "worse...or better?"

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by BRMC117 View Post
    only every day. I will think of something and after thinking about it I will find out its flaws and just dismiss it as a failure before it has a chance to become anything.
    My process exactly. The only thing that helps me is knowing I have a purpose and also doing those things that I enjoy consistently and learning what comes easiest to me. In those things I feel the most competent. I just persevere through my doubts in order to have progression

MBTI
    INFP

To quote the eternal Harry Callahan (Magnum Force), "A man's got to know his limitations" but similarly and equally everlasting, "Nothing will come of nothing" (King Lear).

A handful of self-doubt I feel can be a good thing. Sometimes I know I need some of that self criticism to add another person to the discussions going on in my head over a given idea. But you can have too much of a good thing. Sometimes I'm better at it than other times and I'm still learning what makes things tick but I do doubt myself sometimes when perhaps I should be acting on an idea. That being said I know I've done things in the past that at the time I thought to be good ideas. A bit of self doubt there might have landed me in a more profitable situation by holding me back. I guess some kind of balance would be nice. Let me know if you find one...
    "Though this be madness, yet there is method in't."

MBTI
    INFP

exactly my story, as always has been, and still is.

I think it's really exacerbated by our nature to dislike conflict & trying to please everybody, even if that means to NOT say no, and then heed the mainstream society's notions of what's right (or "success") or wrong.
    it really often creates a heaviler inner turmoils inside ourselves,
    and at the worst point, we become confused, depressed, and feel worthless in this 'practical' world.

But I agree with what some of you said above:
    I've learnt that I have so much potentials to offer, that even to give 20% of it is much better than if I didn't do anything.
    and that also I thus feel I have some kind of a 'grand purpose' , by living in this often 'too-cold' world, by bringing back more warmth, love, kindness and goodness.
    it's what still keeping me going on and keep moving, instead of giving up with my life.

I'm currently also trying to not think too much about things, and just go with the basic (ie: 'progress', or what is in my "locus of control"), just like Rebe said perfectly above.
    it's a hard thing to do, as there's often just soooo much going on in my mind, both negatives and positives,..that the worst part is: I ended up NOT DOING anything, or even if I do it, I rarely finish it!

a lot of people around me and even online friends have often felt frustrated with me,
    and they're like "Niki, you have so much potentials, especially in music, but why you kept putting off your lives??? what else stopping you??? why you just don't DO things??".

A hard slap of Reality (as I've discussed in my thread here) is eventually what 'woke me up' and starting to take things more seriously,..........and learning & growing, no matter what happens!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

A lot. I find that I spend more time dreaming of being a world renowned artist/writer/musician or whatever, more than I do actually sitting and improving my skills. According to my art teacher and my friends, I'm the best artist in the school, but I just don't see it. I think everyone is so much better than me. You know, I think I'm good but I'm not great.

Everyone tells me how much potential I have and that I'll be great in the fine arts field...Though the idea of being an artist appeals to me, I just don't understand why everybody finds me so good and believes in me so much.

So, in brief, yes, I do doubt myself often.