User Tag List

View Poll Results: All is fair in love and war?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree

7 18.42%
  • Disagree

31 81.58%
123 Last

Hate

Default All is fair in love and war?

It seems like everywhere I turn I hear people agreeing with this statement, but I don't necessarily think I agree with it.

I was watching a movie the other day and in one scene a woman asks a man she began dating, "True or False....All is fair in love and war?" The guy answered, "True." And she looks at him with joy and says, "Good answer!" I would have answered false.. (Now granted this guy might have just been telling her what she wanted to hear, but let's just pretend he was telling the truth)

Also, the other day I overheard two guys talking in a restaurant. One of the guys was talking about how he was in love with his best friend's wife and he was going to try and steal her away from him... He justified this by saying, "Hey, all's fair in love and war."

Now of course war is a more complex issue. I kind of go back and forth on this one, but I lean more towards disagree. Now granted it's kind of hard to be fair if the people you're fighting against aren't being fair, but as an ENFJ i'm just compelled to abide by this subjective code of ethics that are in me.. So I'm guessing that's why I lean more towards disagree.

What do you think?

Agree or disagree? Why?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i just watched that too

umm...very very tricky question tho. i don't think any lines should be crossed but i'm not much for rules either...i think if someone were seeing someone and met someone else with whom they fell in love with and then realized they needed to end their relationship in order to be free to pursue the other one without ever telling the new person how they felt...without promises or deciding only to end the relationship if the other was interested...then...i think that seems like the right thing...so in a sense i respect that they broke the rule of not being tempted because it's honest and unfair to the person they're in a relationship with to stay out of obligation instead of want.

does that make sense?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I don't know about it being fair.. but It might start a war.

So the relation continues ..

MBTI
    ISFJ

Disagree for sure. There are values higher than romantic love and war. Ethics.

not true-I dont value rules-but if you choose to be in a relationship with one person over the other, be straight forward and honest to both of them. It may be painful, but it prevents harm in the end.

It requires courage though.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Legally the statement is false, which puts the whole debate into question.

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Disagree for sure. There are values higher than romantic love and war. Ethics.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Legally the statement is false, which puts the whole debate into question.

I less than three you
    "I put the fires out."
    "you made them worse."
    "worse...or better?"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

explain to me how you guys are seeing it tho...because i too disagree that all's fair in love ...meaning nothing immoral should be justified in the name of love...so does my previous comment contradict that or is that still being ethical...just curious.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    explain to me how you guys are seeing it tho...because i too disagree that all's fair in love ...meaning nothing immoral should be justified in the name of love...so does my previous comment contradict that or is that still being ethical...just curious.
    I dont agree with "the end justifies the means" I think that, like you said first is ok, if someone falls in love with someone while in a relationship it should be brought up and no of that sneaky shit. (I think that was what you where thrying to say at first, I am not really sure couldn't follow it very well. I suck, I know)
    "I put the fires out."
    "you made them worse."
    "worse...or better?"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

This is one of those sayings that irks me - like the "what happens in ___, stays in ____".
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe