• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] All is fair in love and war?

All is fair in love and war?

• Agree

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Disagree

Votes: 28 87.5%

• Total voters
G

Ginkgo

No.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kefaT6cGmtE"]This is why.[/YOUTUBE]

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Maybe it's the shameless romantic in me, but I think love is worth fighting for. As long as you are willing to deal with the consequences, why not?

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Well, if you have rules and don't follow them, that's cheating and cheating is not fair.

On the other hand... No rules = do whatever you want.

H

Hate

well THEY said yes because they were both being underhanded about their whole date thing...but normal people i would assume disagree :)

true…true.. they were being underhanded…. But in that particular scene it seemed like a real moment though.. don’t you think?

Dear "love and war" Overanalyzers & Disagreers:
um, WTHeck? :mellow: It's just a simple expression with simple meaning. Here ya go...:chillpill::chillpill: Most of you missed the point.

Oh I’m chillin… I just heard this expression a lot recently and found it stupid.. that’s why I brought it up.

And I’m not overanalyzing.. In fact IRL I’ve never even felt love nor do I think I ever will… I have extremely high sociopathic tendencies for an ENFJ and that is one emotion I’ve actually been void of.

As far as my comment to you before.. I was merely pointing out the fact that it seemed like you were being inconsistent.. First you agree… then you make an exception to the rule.. then you remove the exception and agree again..

But if everyone’s missing the point…. Please do enlighten us.

On the other hand... No rules = do whatever you want.

Is this the motto that you live by or do you just talk the talk?

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I disagree. I will get my man the honorable way. I will not hurt somebody else because I want him for myself. If I really loved him, I wouldn't put him in a situation where he'd have to hurt someone to be with me, or where I'd hurt someone just to be with him.

If I like a guy and I find that another girl likes him too, I will back down so she can have that chance. If this guy really wanted me, he'd pursue me, I wouldn't have to fight for his attention or compete with another girl. I don't play those kind of games because someone always gets hurt. I can't do that.

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Just a question, didn’t mean to word it so harshly, mistake on my part. My apologies kind sir...

I think you bring up a good point actually..

I was trying to make mine look like I was a badass... It were a joke... :hug:

Hmm, well, I guess I live like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I agreed because I think this statement is really supposed to only apply to "love". It's a comparison to show how brutal love and courtship are.

I believe in the statement the same way I understand and believe in the concept of being an "ethical slut".

When people are single, everyone is pretty much free game. That's why you also have to keep your wits about you and not expect loyalty from strangers. For the most part, I have no hard feelings towards the other single ladies trying to cast their nets wide.

H

Hate

I agreed because I think this statement is really supposed to only apply to "love". It's a comparison to show how brutal love and courtship are.

Not according to the definitions I’ve read:

Cultural Dictionary:
People in love and soldiers in wartime are not bound by the rules of fair play.

The proverb has been traced back to John Lyly's 'Euphues' (1578).

ALL'S FAIR IN LOVE AND WAR -- The rules of fair play do not apply in love and war.

Cf. [1578 Lyly Euphues I. 236] Anye impietie may lawfully be committed in loue, which is lawlesse.

In love and war, every stratagem is fair, they say.
[1845 G. P. R. James Smuggler II. iv.]

Idiom Definitions for 'All's fair in love and war'

This idiom is used to say that where there is conflict, people can be expected to behave in a more vicious way.

The cliché implies that people can suspend the law or the rules in special circumstances.

Proverb
unpleasant behavior is acceptable during love and conflict.

Anything goes, by whatever means, nothing is out of bounds.

Behavior that is unpleasant or not fair is acceptable during an argument or competition.

When people are single, everyone is pretty much free game. That's why you also have to keep your wits about you and not expect loyalty from strangers. For the most part, I have no hard feelings towards the other single ladies trying to cast their nets wide.

I agree with having no ill feelings towards other single people trying to cast their wide net, because then that would make me judgmental, and I only have my own actions to account for.

If other single people want to cast their wide net; then who am I to judge. But that doesn’t mean that I would necessarily behave in the same manner.

The place I live in is a warzone… it’s what people would refer to as “the hood”… So trust me.. I know about keeping wits and not expecting loyalty from strangers... But it seems like your only applying this saying to other people...What about your actions? If you agree with the saying, then that means that you yourself are willing to cast your wide net to everyone.

All = everybody….married, engaged etc....And All if fair = by any means necessary.. So you yourself then would do whatever it takes?

:yes: yesss!!! CzeCze gets it, 100% right on!

I understand a lot better where you’re coming from now.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
:thelook:

You had to take it there, huh?

Well, let me say then that since warfare has the Geneva Convention - there ARE rules. Supposedly. That most countries have agreed to bound by... And I think the idea of 'no rules in war' could be a really horrific thing with thousands if not millions being affected.

But your individual war of love? Not so much. There aren't really "rules" about love the way there is about 'love'. Other than laws about divorce, bigamy, adultery, and age of consent.

Which is why I limited the love statement to 'single people' and I kinda assumed the single people were of the age of consent. :alttongue:

I agree with having no ill feelings towards other single people trying to cast their wide net, because then that would make me judgmental, and I only have my own actions to account for.

If other single people want to cast their wide net; then who am I to judge. But that doesn’t mean that I would necessarily behave in the same manner.

The place I live in is a warzone… it’s what people would refer to as “the hood”… So trust me.. I know about keeping wits and not expecting loyalty from strangers... But it seems like your only applying this saying to other people...What about your actions? If you agree with the saying, then that means that you yourself are willing to cast your wide net to everyone.

All = everybody….married, engaged etc....And All if fair = by any means necessary.. So you yourself then would do whatever it takes?

Eesh, why you gotta make it all complicated??? LOL.

Again, my comments were thinking strictly about single people. But, even when I am in relationships, I know that there are others who do not respect relationships and have no qualms about flirting with and trying to steal my SO away from me.

And the gist of your question - yes - I hold people to the same standards and philosophy that I myself hold. Because, I get it.

I shouldn't have used the "wide net" analogy, bah, I realize it sounds like saying that all people are potential romantic partners...but the thing is...you should assume "everyone else" DOES think like this.

As for myself, nah, I stick to people who are either single and unattached or possibly in open relationships.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Hate

Why you gotta take it to the look CzeCze? Why you gotta take it to the look? :laugh:

You had to take it there, huh?

C'mon.... I had to.. even you admit your analogy was kinda questionable..

Eesh, why you gotta make it all complicated??? LOL.

Or......Eesh, why you gotta try and over simplify something that just might be a lil complicated.. :D

Again, my comments were thinking strictly about single people. But, even when I am in relationships, I know that there are others who do not respect relationships and have no qualms about flirting with and trying to steal my SO away from me.

okay.... fair enough..

I shouldn't have used the "wide net" analogy, bah, I realize it sounds like saying that all people are potential romantic partners...but the thing is...you should assume "everyone else" DOES think like this.

As for myself, nah, I stick to people who are either single and unattached or possibly in open relationships.

Okay... now your making your perspective clearer... I was mainly applying the saying to myself and how an individual would personally act.. you're applying differently, but I see where your coming from.

CzeCze, I'm with you, PREACH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally, someone laid back up in here, HIGH ON 'P', that I can actually understand!!!

:worthy:

Not complicated people, not complicated!

Why do you keep acting like everyone that's not agreeing with you is wrong or something?

People do have other opinions ya know... it's not like there's a right or wrong answer here.