• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFPs and emotions: Question?

HotpinkHeatwave

MBTI Type
ENFP
I've noticed something about myself. I've kind of subconsciously known it for most of my life, but it didn't become completely apparent until it was pointed it out.

I was sitting around with a couple really good friends, and I happened to ask,

"Do you think I'm a very emotional person?"

Their replies went like this,

"No, you're almost emotionless. I never see you cry, ever. When you do show emotions, they are VERY strong, like when you're mad... Which, is a very scary thing."

For some reason, it made me kind of smile, but also made me wonder. Is this true to other ENFPs?

You're zany for the most part - Happy, cheerful, or just content, usually. You don't really show much other emotion, UNTIL there is good reason to. Then, it all spills out. If you're mad, you RAGE. If you're sad, you feel as if the world is crashing down. Etc.

Yes? No?

Sorry if this is confusing/vague. I'm pretty tired!

Malkavia

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
3w4
This sounds more like ENFJs from what Ive read on the forum.

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Thats how my basic friends and acquaintances think of me. My true friends, those who are closest to me know im an emotional rollercoaster. They just know I like to keep a tight rein on my emotions around those who dont deserve knowing that part of me.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This sounds more like ENFJs from what Ive read on the forum.
really? hmm...i'm not so sure i agree with ya but i don't really know any enfjs well.

i've been called aloof before and i don't show negative emotions often unless you're one of the lucky ones that i love. :smile:

but...no one would call me emotionless really...i can be quite effusive...i get all happy and excited and gushy about sweet things.

Malkavia

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
3w4
really? hmm...i'm not so sure i agree with ya but i don't really know any enfjs well.

i've been called aloof before and i don't show negative emotions often unless you're one of the lucky ones that i love. :smile:

but...no one would call me emotionless really...i can be quite effusive...i get all happy and excited and gushy about sweet things.

I dont find myself emotionless at all. Im very opinionated and show my emotions.

I become introverted when Im upset because i tend to harbor negative emotions when im stressed and I dont want for that to affect others.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
right yeah no i agree with that. i'm not emotionless either but i wouldn't call myself an emotional person...not in the way i define it in my head. i'm not the person bitching to a coworker about how upset i am about this or that...i'm not the person who will call up a friend crying about relationship issues...i don't have highly charged emotional exchanges with people often...but my sister who tests enfp kinda is that way...and it's kinda why i think she might be enfj...or maybe it's not a type thing at all...i totally don't know.

Malkavia

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
3w4
It could also be a sex or environment thing. Or more likely, a combination of many.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hmm...whatcha mean? are you a guy?

and really...i kinda think we're saying the same things. i keep most negative emotions to myself but i can become passionate about an opinion or point of view but i just like to work out things that upset me on my own...i don't look outside myself for support....that makes sense of fi right? instead of fe?

Malkavia

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
3w4

and really...i kinda think we're saying the same things. i keep most negative emotions to myself but i can become passionate about an opinion or point of view but i just like to work out things that upset me on my own...i don't look outside myself for support....that makes sense of fi right? instead of fe?

Im a guy. It makes a differences. Some MBTI types can be different according to sex.

Usually when I have negative feelings i become introverted, but ive noticed talking them out and discussing them people close to me help me out a lot. I think fi and fe go much deeper than that though.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Im a guy. It makes a differences. Some MBTI types can be different according to sex.

Usually when I have negative feelings i become introverted, but ive noticed talking them out and discussing them people close to me help me out a lot. I think fi and fe go much deeper than that though.

oh sure of course they do and yeah i usually have one or two people in my life i talk to about things...but it seems to me that i'm more guarded with my emotions then other people i know...i think that's what op person was saying....but whatever. i'm bored now...haha

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
Yea.. But I'm a guy. I agree with what Malkavia said.

sculpting

Hmmm...

I'd likely be decsirbed as somewhat harsh or aloof. When younger I was called ice princess and snobby as I didnt interact much.

I would say people may see irritability and annoyance far more than rage.

Now-with people I trust to a moderate level I will actually be quite silly and goofy-you are starting to see my real core

To see me cry? Well that happens so rarely, that almost nobody sees that...Maybe my toddler.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

Yeah, I would believe that Fi requires less external validation than Fe.

To the OP, seems like it's an NF thing. I've replied to this other thread so I'll just put a link here.
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...ices/30602-do-infp-s-show-their-emotions.html