User Tag List

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENTP

Default What is Fi or Fe?

I'm an ENTP, and I have done some research about INFP (my boyfriend), but I just can't seem to conceptualize Fi and Fe. I understand what it is, but I can't imagine it, I don't "get it". What exactly is it?
    I'm asking you guys because I'm hoping you'll be better at finding a metaphore or an example of this than the NT crowd, or some way of explaining this from a personal perspective.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Fe - the form - the etiquette - the group
    Fi - the feeling - the principle - the individual

When comforting someone who lost a loved one.
    Fe-words of comfort
    Fi-physical acts and deeds of support

Fe-i'm right here with you/it never hurts to help
    Fi-what do you need to do it yourself?
    I N V I C T U S

Widdles in your cream.
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
    When comforting someone who lost a loved one.
    Fe-words of comfort
    Fi-physical acts and deeds of support
    I've found the reverse is often the case. I have an INFP friend who wishes she "could heal with words". On the other hand, my ISFJ friend would show her support through actions. These could be applied interchangably, but for different motives. Fi would offer words or deeds because it felt like the right thing to do, whilst an Fe user would do these things because "That's what friends are for".

This is how I see it:

Fe: Building a belief system based on the external; seeking opinions from peers, family
    Fi: Building a belief system based on the internal; forming one's own opinions

But even then, preference for N/S would also vary. Si/Fe is different from Ni/Fe, for instance.
    Um, yeah.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

^ Yeah I don't see FiNe as being action-oriented in comforting people. Being there for someone emotionally is more likely. But FiSe may be more about deeds, because Se tends to be more about action. That's probably not the best example because it may not boil down to Fe or Fi, but the other examples work okay. I might alter the last Fi example to say: "How can I help you get to the point where you can help yourself?".

I think Fe is more interpersonal & Fi is intrapersonal. Fe seeks external harmony to lead to internal harmony, and Fi seeks internal harmony to lead to external harmony. You could say that one works it way inwards & the other outwards.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

very nice, orangeapple
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

Fe seeks external harmony to lead to internal harmony, and Fi seeks internal harmony to lead to external harmony.
    Right on! Excellent distinction.

Glycerine

I like how this didn't turn out bashing either function.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I think Fe is more interpersonal & Fi is intrapersonal. Fe seeks external harmony to lead to internal harmony, and Fi seeks internal harmony to lead to external harmony. You could say that one works it way inwards & the other outwards.
    OH thank you so much.
    I mean, the difference between introverts and extraverts made sense before, but the use of the word "harmony" finally made it click! What a beautiful thing!

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Fe is the hostess who floats around the party, sizing up each person and moving people around to try and create maximum social efficiency.

Fi is someone who sees the world that gauges things by how important they are. Emotional scientists who use rationality to find the best mix of values for their life and then stick with them.

To be honest I'm unsure about Fi.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Skyward View Post
    Fi is someone who sees the world that gauges things by how important they are. Emotional scientists who use rationality to find the best mix of values for their life and then stick with them.

To be honest I'm unsure about Fi.
    I like that

I think it's fair to say that Fe reasons on what is important as well, but turns outward to gauge things, or to assign value. Fe people seem more likely to seek consensus and to label good or bad based on the results.

Fi is this abstract inner knowing that serves as a basis for reasoning on what matters to that individual, which is why it's so hard to describe.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe