User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I f*cked up my teenage years and I don't mind

Just be yourself! Some people think they know what is good for us... but they're totally wrong. The best way to enjoy your life is doing what YOU, only YOU think is good. Everybody wants everyone to be group-oriented and lose their own personality... Just follow your own way, and it will make you happy. And don't mind about what people say!

Quote Originally Posted by ilovereeses View Post
    If this is "normal" to them, then their lives are messed up.
    Totally agree.

Queen hunter Array Virtual ghost's Avatar
    135 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Kat View Post

How on earth can I make sure that I don't take these boring expectations too personally? If I take it personallly, everybody thinks I do care and then they try to help me! HEEEEELP!!! :eek::horor:
    Find a INTJ and learn from him/her. (seriously)

I mean I am pretty similar to you when it comes to this. (except the emotional part)

Senior Member Array Scott N Denver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ilovereeses View Post
    If this is "normal" to them, then their lives are messed up.
    +1. There must be some massive cultural differences at play here. Different people have different ideas of what friendship is and what they want from it, but I doubt most people aim to have shallow friendships. People seem to usually try to be "friendly" with people they know but only see rarely, neighbors etc. The marriage, kids, job, pretending you like your job is probably more common though. People usually want to think that what they did was valuable/meaningful/worthwhile.

Conformity isn't always bad if the ideals are meaningful, but conforming to those ways seems... illogical.

INFj None

You can't help it that you're not stupid.

Actually, you don't sound that different from my kids (three of my kids are teenagers - 17, 15, 13) and I'm pleased as punch they are such good kids.

The important thing, IMO, when you have family like you are describing is becoming financially independent so the level at which they can screw with your life is minimal. Peers that are not your friends don't matter all that much. They are probably idiots anyway and you don't have to deal with them a whole lot once you get a little older.

If you want to be a writer, it doesn't hurt to study that, but it is also a good idea to get some kind of training that can net you a dependable job with wages that can support the basics of living.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

That's fucking boring! Dude! That's not what I want to do with my life! But why do I take all of this so personally? I don't want to take it personally, but I can't help it. I do feel offended, because this way it seems like I'm some kind of lame robot. Now I wonder:

How on earth can I make sure that I don't take these boring expectations too personally? If I take it personallly, everybody thinks I do care and then they try to help me! HEEEEELP!!!
    I feel for you ; high school was sort of like that for me. All these girls talking about things that made me want to smack them silly but I couldn't yell at them for being stupid because well, I was quiet and meek then and ... it didn't seem like it was my role to play ... and it'd exhaust me and it'd be endless. You will meet people who are conformers and are not in agreement with your principles, it will bother you, even upset you, but you will never get rid of that. Having a small group of friends who are similar to you or at least accept you will help immensely. Carving a path for yourself and staying on that path no matter what will be helpful. Finding people you admire and holding them close has helped me. People around me want to find a good job, settle down, get married and have kids. But I want to travel and change the world. My parents wish to god I would do what everyone else is doing but I am an idealist and I am willing to risk a lot for my ideals. Know your strengths and build yourself a defense shield. I read biographies about people who have changed the world and I feel less insane and less scared. There is a saying, pick a hill that you are willing to die on and stick with it. If you want to be a writer, stick with it no matter what ... etc.

827 sp/so
    SLE Ti

everyone feels like a failure to our families... my cousins and I once sat around and discussed that- we're all smart kids, and friendly and polite for the most part (we're even a decent looking bunch! ) but we've all f*cked up in some way

- one cousin had a kid with her boyfriend, dropped out of college and then dumped him

- another cousin is gay

- another has a juvie record for shoplifting

- my sis has dropped out of college 4 times

- I can't find a job for the life of me

it doesn't change when you reach your 20s, as we have proven... everyone always feels like they disappoint their families- and the cool part though, is the families usually may express disappointment, but they still tend to love you and help you out when needed
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett

One day and the next Array Rainne's Avatar

Remember guys, take comfort in the fact that there's always someone more fcked up than you.
    Weathergirl: District 38 is sunny. Slight rock showers this morning. Chance of rock showers into the afternoon—20 percent. District 39 is cloudy. Chance of rock showers this afternoon—10 percent.
    Edward: Bebop here here! Alright woo hoo!
    Weathergirl: Chance of rock showers today upgraded to 90 percent.
    Edward: Really.

wow ur close friends and family are taking you down the road of alcohol and shallow friendships? whats wrong with them?

keep away from such ppl! stick it out! and yeah that life plan sucks real bad. do what you want, as you want!
    Type 8 sx/sp/so
    O:C:E:A:N :: 65:69:59:57:9