User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: INFJs

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Their crime, in this respect is against the essence of feeling. They dont think about what most conduces to the soundness of a relationship, they only think about all the things they are supposed to do in order to fulfill their role.
    The essence of feeling is to convey information, not to protect the "soundness of relationships".

Character is a tricky topic. You are dealing with what some people consider to be their inherent nature, or the attributes by which others will forever regard and judge them. In addition, there are people willing to die for their perceived rights or obligations, in the name of duty, truth, or compassion, regardless of reason. If you judge Fe to be wasted on maintaining character then that is a value judgment that says more about you than neurotic INFJs.

MBTI
    INFj

I dont think that a fetish for criticizing is evidence of neurosis.
    It may not be, but it certainly doesn't give the best impression of sound mental health.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ_ View Post
    It may not be, but it certainly doesn't give the best impression of sound mental health.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ_ View Post
    I don't think a fetish for criticizing is evidence of neurosis.
    Actually, I'm going to have to say it's one of the best markers of neurosis. If one is critical of oneself, one is almost always critical of others as well.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    Agreed.

Actually, I'm going to have to say it's one of the best markers of neurosis. If one is critical of oneself, one is almost always critical of others as well.
    Sigh..you're interpreting criticism from a feeling standpoint. Criticism in a way that I used the word entails no emotion, neither positive nor negative.

Criticism in the way I use the word goes as follows: this needs to be improved, that is accurate/inaccurate...etc..more concerned with inaccurate than accurate however..as the task of Thinking is to find accuracy. Thus, Thinking is necessarily a critical attitude because it strives for the greatest accuracy possible. The scenario is always viewed from the standpoint of what can be improved.

Criticism by enlarge is to be equated with Thinking...not the emotional shadow of Thinking..

I am not surprised to see you equating Thinking with neurosis, as thats your inferior function.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

I'm equating over-criticalness with neurosis. I am not equating constructive criticism with neurosis. Constructive criticism is often needed. I deny it not. I give it myself. However, you said you have a "fetish" for criticising others, which sounds to me like you do it more than just constructively. It sounds like you leap on every opportunity to criticize.

I can and do divorce constructive criticism from personal criticism of oneself.

Just like seeking approval all the time is compensation for things lacking, so is seeking things to criticise all the time.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    I'm equating over-criticalness with neurosis. I am not equating constructive criticism with neurosis. Constructive criticism is often needed. I deny it not. I give it myself. However, you said you have a "fetish" for criticising others, which sounds to me like you do it more than just constructively. It sounds like you leap on every opportunity to criticize.

I can and do divorce constructive criticism from personal criticism of oneself.

Just like seeking approval all the time is compensation for things lacking, so is seeking things to criticise all the time.

Over-criticizing is not any more or less evidence of a neurosis than over-harmonizing. Or paying more attention to facts than necessary (S), or too much to imagination. (N)

Neurosis, in a functional sense consists of the primary function becoming preponderous over all others. Hence, too much of anything is neurosis, not just Thinking.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Over-criticizing is not any more or less evidence of a neurosis than over-harmonizing. Or paying more attention to facts than necessary (S), or too much to imagination. (N)

Neurosis, in a functional sense consists of the primary function becoming preponderous over all others. Hence, too much of anything is neurosis, not just Thinking.

Glad we agree.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I actually avoid trite and hollow expressions of emotion, myself - and I would suspect that most INFJs do. Sincerity and genuineness are pretty key to the INFJ.
    This is a good point. NFs are all about authenticity, according to Keirsey.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

I have known only one definite INFJ and OMG she is interesting persona! First very reserved but when known she is sooooo deep and has very interesting perceptions of people.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I actually avoid trite and hollow expressions of emotion, myself - and I would suspect that most INFJs do. Sincerity and genuineness are pretty key to the INFJ.
    This is true and just because an act is perceived as trite by someone doesn't address the motivation and perspective that generated that act. People are complex enough that it takes a great deal of time and attention to gain any useful understanding of what a person intends when they communicate something.

For me it hurts a lot when I express something, and it is dismissed as "just being nice". While there are different levels of meaning, it doesn't make sense to put forth the effort without sincerity. (I started a thread about it as well.)
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.