User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Default Taking out your emotions on someone

Hi,

I've noticed that when people are angry or sad about something, they sometimes project their anger and sadness to those around them even though the people around them are not even remotely related to the source of their anger/sadness.

Is this normal?

Personally when I'm upset about something, I try not to show it because I find it's unfair to spread unpleasant feelings to those around me when they're not the cause of my problem.
    Weathergirl: District 38 is sunny. Slight rock showers this morning. Chance of rock showers into the afternoon—20 percent. District 39 is cloudy. Chance of rock showers this afternoon—10 percent.
    Edward: Bebop here here! Alright woo hoo!
    Weathergirl: Chance of rock showers today upgraded to 90 percent.
    Edward: Really.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainne View Post
    Is this normal?
    Well it's fairly common, but I don't think it's the healthiest way to deal with a situation. People are not always healthy and they are not always reasonable.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

I think everyone does it to some extent at some point. You're right, it is unfair, but we are humans.

I try not to take out my emotions on others. At times, not often, they admittedly get the best of me, but since I know this about myself I usually remove myself from the equation until it passes.

When people do this to me, I try to realize what's going on. Usually in both instances if I know the reason, it makes my own emotion much easier to control.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

I absolutely hate it when people take out their anger or whatever bullshit on me. One of my friends do that a lot, she constantly treats me as her therapist and every moment we spend together as a therapy session.

I rarely do that - and if I am extremely angry, I am just quiet. Sometimes I can be cranky, but I often keep it to myself and focus on the nice person in front of me and chirp away. This is a personal tick of mine.

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

I vent to certain people who i feel close to, but i never direct the emotions at them. If i do start to treat someone differently based on how i'm feeling, i catch on fairly quickly and apologize.

I've taken anger out on my Dad here and there, but we somehow end up closer for it. It's never a nuclear blowout though.
    I took upset out on a friend a few months ago by becoming quiet and unresponsive. I explained the reasons why, how it was unintentionally directed at them, and apologized for it a bit after the incident though.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rainne View Post
    Personally when I'm upset about something, I try not to show it because I find it's unfair to spread unpleasant feelings to those around me when they're not the cause of my problem.
    I pretty much feel the same way about it, which is not to say that I never do it. Sometimes it's inevitable, depending upon how long you feel a certain way, the cause, and how easy it is for you to isolate yourself from people so that you can unravel.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

Yeah-

I rarely take my anger out on others. If I'm mad, like really really mad, I can be cranky, but usually I go to the source for my anger. I go directly to that person and confront them.

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    3w4

I notice I disappear if Im mad. I do not see people as much out of fear I will take out my emotions on them. It soon passes and I come back out of my shell.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

^I do that too!

Whenever I'm in a bad mood, I hermit myself into my room, just so that I don't spoil the fun for others.. it'd make me feel like a total nincompoop if I did.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3

I'll just be honest and say that it happens when I'm in a period of stress and its people I'm close to. Like today, we are (I am) planning a vacation tomorrow and there are six of us, right in the middle of my finals (we are leaving for the beach right after I'm done with my last test in the morning)... and my hyperactive 10 year old sister is here, on her first period, with three new ferrets that break out of their cage... and the van we are driving burst a tire, right after we bought a new one on another rim this morning... etc. (and this is all today).

I don't like it. I would have loved to go off and get all ISTPey on my laptop in the middle of it (like my ISTP did), but I was stuck, or felt stuck with too much responsibility to shrink away, so... I was not too fun to be around. If I get bad enough I apologize, but usually when it happens, you could probably NOT convince me there was another way without being the friggen Buddha.