• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ne] INFPs, how have you better developed your Ne?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
How can you tell if you are better developing or utilizing Ne?

What have you done or can you do to actively encourage the growth of this function?
I'm not sure about the first question. Could you elaborate?

Best ways to develop Ne: go out and experience. More specifically:
- Read extensively and pursue knowledge. Read books, newspapers, magazines, cereal boxes, whatever...
- Seek what is beautiful, both in art and in nature
- Travel and explore. Seek to engage in other cultures. Make the effort to spend time around those that are different from yourself
- Push yourself to do things outside your comfort zone
- Ask a lot of questions to better understand your world. Don't accept that 'things just are the way they are'
- Actively listen to those around you, even those that don't seem to have anything worthwhile to contribute
- Find your passion and pursue it. Trust and follow your feelings and instincts
- Seek to connect rather than differentiate. Look beyond the distraction of the intricate differences between things and people, to find what unifies them.

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
The biggest challenge may be making sure that I am relatively unbiased in my perception - meaning, I don't only accept what information suits my feeling.

Then there's the occasional Fi Si loop, where applying Ne may get you out of the rut. It's simply a matter of getting perspective; looking at possibilities for change in the future to get over emotions & experiences from the past. I think that is a rather human problem as much as an INFP problem....

I'm sure we've all seen this page, but I think it paints a good picture of an INFP using sufficient Ne to overcome some weak areas (although I'd argue there's some Si & Te action happening also):

INFP Personal Growth

Thank you for the reply, OrangeAppled! :yes: What does the Fi Si loop look like?

So to really use Ne, you need to sort of turn off the Fi filter as best as you can? Unbridled possibilities just streaming in?

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
To practice using Ne, just give it free reign. Allow it to take you where it wants to go. Ne is almost like radar - it "picks up" so many things, sees so many possibilities in the environment. Ask the questions, go exploring.

Ne is when you go to a bookstore or a library, pick up a random book on the life of some writer and in the first few pages it mentions how his wife did some great things. So, you put that book down and go do a search for a book about his wife. You find one, you start reading about her and all the things she did. You find out that she made some important discoveries in the field of genetics, one of which really sounds interesting. So you go and find a book about that specific discovery in order to learn what exactly it is. You start reading that and it talks about the role that genetics plays in your personality as an adult. This is great because you just found a topic that would fit very nicely into your Master's thesis.

Exploring with no limits. Asking all the questions that come into your head and then seeking out those answers.

Thank you, INTPness! :hug: This was very useful.

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I think i have, the best way I find to encourge this growth is use your imgination with your environment...

Example: typology central, what do you think can make it better? or how can you go green? or how to stop procrastination. Think of all the possiblities...

Hmm... okay! :D Will have to practice doing this without Fi getting in the way.

Also, I laughed at the "how to stop procrastination" bit. :rofl1:

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Sort of going off of what OrangeAppled said, I've used it strongly my whole life. It is my numba one perceiving function.

You may be able to relate to me if you think about how you thought growing up. Did you take daily situations and then predict certain hidden things about them all the time? even when it wasn't needed? Does your humor rely on making longshot connections with things to pick out the absurdity in them? Did you often draw up possibilities about things based on information that wasn't actually visibly available?

Hmm... come to think of it I have done that (daily situations, predicting certain hidden things). It just seems a very rare thing when I do... :doh:

Do you have any cues that tell you your Fi is really getting in the way?

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Not sure if this is INFP typical but...since Fi is so personal and I find not a lot of people around me can always relate, I absorb my outside 'unknown' surroundings through Ne, then put it through my trusted Fi system, before perhaps even applying some Si to see what I felt about the last time I was in a similar situation, and maybe even thinking of a song to match up emotionally...To put it simply, the most precious thing about Ne in my case, is how it works with my Fi values to create utopian situations in my head, which help me to heal myself if what is concrete becomes stressful.

How do the utopian situations help you to heal?

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
i have one example of using Ne in conversation. with someone who gets it, it's great! you start with whatever pops into your head and go free flow from there. some people don't like it, but it can make a very entertaining conversation and you'll probably end up knowing something you had no intention of knowing... and you'll probably end up in stitches :D

Ne to me is also how INTPness described it. :) ... and you can totally start wondering... like you see something and you'll imagine what it could be... and you go kick a snowball on your way to the park and you take a different route on the way back... Ne is pure fun, really... :D

So, don't be afraid of letting it have free reign? Kind of like let it off of its Fi leash?

I guess this is something best to try with an ENFP first so they'll understand if the conversation drives off the road and into a corn field several times before returning to the road (if we even return at all). :D

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Don't you walk into a room and just notice random things, which could have interesting uses, or trigger a whole story in your head, or an unusual association?
Or imagine all the possible ways, an important converstation could go. The multiple response you could get during a speech.
A good idea is plan a holiday, and imagine all the possible scenaros you coud be in (it's a bitch packing when you think like that though). It's like breathing to me, I just do it.

Oh okay. I do that. So what is the voice that tells you "No, you won't need this item"... is that Fi? Or maybe Si... or Te?

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
It's like learning a language. The quickest way is full-immersion. Plus, hanging out with ENFPs is super-fun, and they seem to enjoy the company of INFPs too.

Sounds like I need to call up my ENFP friends. :cool: You're right though; I need to observe the use of Ne in its natural habitat. :D See how it's done.

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Ne brings forth an infinite chain effect inside my head referencing memories, experiences, past and present thoughts within and feeling. For example: Thinking of an infinite chain got me to visualize and recall building a paper chain, which makes me think of arts and craft time at school, which makes me think of those short tables and chairs in kindergarten, which makes me think of rounded scissors, making me think of the craft scissors that cut different shapes like wavy ones, which makes me think of ocean waves, salty water, wet sand, oysters, hermit crabs, painted shells, pretty shiny colors, nailpolish, lipstick, luscious lips, tongue licking lips, sexy kisses, an old crush, my current SO, his cute face, messy hair, brings up a warm feeling within, it made me smile, makes things feel all right....etc etc etc. It is never ending!!! All these thoughts took so much longer to type than to think of, these happen instantaneously.

It sounds like it just goes on and on and on. I need to get better at letting this happen naturally instead of forcing it where my Fi wants to go.

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I'm not sure about the first question. Could you elaborate?

Best ways to develop Ne: go out and experience. More specifically:
- Read extensively and pursue knowledge. Read books, newspapers, magazines, cereal boxes, whatever...
- Seek what is beautiful, both in art and in nature
- Travel and explore. Seek to engage in other cultures. Make the effort to spend time around those that are different from yourself
- Push yourself to do things outside your comfort zone
- Ask a lot of questions to better understand your world. Don't accept that 'things just are the way they are'
- Actively listen to those around you, even those that don't seem to have anything worthwhile to contribute
- Find your passion and pursue it. Trust and follow your feelings and instincts
- Seek to connect rather than differentiate. Look beyond the distraction of the intricate differences between things and people, to find what unifies them.

Sure! I guess that my first question was trying to ask what cues do you pick up if you are using too much Fi?

FalseHeartDothKnow

MBTI Type
INFP
Extreme Fi might creep into the realm of overly self-analysing to the point of being completely absorbed in your own views of how the world should be, perhaps choosing to preach your views to others, or even disengage from the world completely, choosing to fantasize and ruminate instead. Without a fairly strong extroverted auxillary, (you don't need to be talkative to have this) an introvert is not taking information in from the outside world enough, which might cause certain beliefs to become outdated and unrealistic in an ever evolving society, causing the person to feel bitter.

Yet, that's the really depressed level, ordinarily, with Ne being INFPs auxillary, I imagine bad Ne would show up as not paying much attention to the ideas and ideals of others, resorting to the Fi: 'Well if it were me, I wouldn't do that so I can't understand why they would want to either.' It's the Ne which acknowledges choice and options, taming the temptation to resort to personal feelings and biases, which is not always helpful in giving advice. Instead of the above statement, we might get the Fi/Ne combination of: 'Have you thought about doing this, or the other option is this...Whatever you feel most comfortable with really.'
I wonder whether these links might be helpful to you:
This is about functions and how they are expressed/not expressed, and how we see ourselves:
Attitudes from the Horse's Mouth

This is a link which shows how a person might be under stress if their auxillary was truly neglected:
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...ality-matrices/30900-tertiary-temptation.html

My MBTI/ Function knowledge isn't very coherant as yet, but hope this helps a little. Good luck in your quest for Ne.

Kind Regards.
FalseHeartDothKnow