User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmeraldCanopy View Post
    How can you tell if you are better developing or utilizing Ne?

What have you done or can you do to actively encourage the growth of this function?
    I'm not sure about the first question. Could you elaborate?

Best ways to develop Ne: go out and experience. More specifically:
    - Read extensively and pursue knowledge. Read books, newspapers, magazines, cereal boxes, whatever...
    - Seek what is beautiful, both in art and in nature
    - Travel and explore. Seek to engage in other cultures. Make the effort to spend time around those that are different from yourself
    - Push yourself to do things outside your comfort zone
    - Ask a lot of questions to better understand your world. Don't accept that 'things just are the way they are'
    - Actively listen to those around you, even those that don't seem to have anything worthwhile to contribute
    - Find your passion and pursue it. Trust and follow your feelings and instincts
    - Seek to connect rather than differentiate. Look beyond the distraction of the intricate differences between things and people, to find what unifies them.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post

The biggest challenge may be making sure that I am relatively unbiased in my perception - meaning, I don't only accept what information suits my feeling.

Then there's the occasional Fi Si loop, where applying Ne may get you out of the rut. It's simply a matter of getting perspective; looking at possibilities for change in the future to get over emotions & experiences from the past. I think that is a rather human problem as much as an INFP problem....

I'm sure we've all seen this page, but I think it paints a good picture of an INFP using sufficient Ne to overcome some weak areas (although I'd argue there's some Si & Te action happening also):

INFP Personal Growth
    Thank you for the reply, OrangeAppled! What does the Fi Si loop look like?

So to really use Ne, you need to sort of turn off the Fi filter as best as you can? Unbridled possibilities just streaming in?
    4w3 sx/sp? INFP, INFp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    To practice using Ne, just give it free reign. Allow it to take you where it wants to go. Ne is almost like radar - it "picks up" so many things, sees so many possibilities in the environment. Ask the questions, go exploring.

Ne is when you go to a bookstore or a library, pick up a random book on the life of some writer and in the first few pages it mentions how his wife did some great things. So, you put that book down and go do a search for a book about his wife. You find one, you start reading about her and all the things she did. You find out that she made some important discoveries in the field of genetics, one of which really sounds interesting. So you go and find a book about that specific discovery in order to learn what exactly it is. You start reading that and it talks about the role that genetics plays in your personality as an adult. This is great because you just found a topic that would fit very nicely into your Master's thesis.

Exploring with no limits. Asking all the questions that come into your head and then seeking out those answers.

Thank you, INTPness! This was very useful.
    4w3 sx/sp? INFP, INFp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudblue View Post
    I think i have, the best way I find to encourge this growth is use your imgination with your environment...

Example: typology central, what do you think can make it better? or how can you go green? or how to stop procrastination. Think of all the possiblities...

Hmm... okay! Will have to practice doing this without Fi getting in the way.

Also, I laughed at the "how to stop procrastination" bit.
    4w3 sx/sp? INFP, INFp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    This thread from the NT subforum might be useful

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...intuition.html
    Thank you for this. I've never seen that thread before. *runs off to read*
    4w3 sx/sp? INFP, INFp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    Sort of going off of what OrangeAppled said, I've used it strongly my whole life. It is my numba one perceiving function.

You may be able to relate to me if you think about how you thought growing up. Did you take daily situations and then predict certain hidden things about them all the time? even when it wasn't needed? Does your humor rely on making longshot connections with things to pick out the absurdity in them? Did you often draw up possibilities about things based on information that wasn't actually visibly available?
    Hmm... come to think of it I have done that (daily situations, predicting certain hidden things). It just seems a very rare thing when I do...

Do you have any cues that tell you your Fi is really getting in the way?
    4w3 sx/sp? INFP, INFp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by FalseHeartDothKnow View Post
    Not sure if this is INFP typical but...since Fi is so personal and I find not a lot of people around me can always relate, I absorb my outside 'unknown' surroundings through Ne, then put it through my trusted Fi system, before perhaps even applying some Si to see what I felt about the last time I was in a similar situation, and maybe even thinking of a song to match up emotionally...To put it simply, the most precious thing about Ne in my case, is how it works with my Fi values to create utopian situations in my head, which help me to heal myself if what is concrete becomes stressful.
    How do the utopian situations help you to heal?
    4w3 sx/sp? INFP, INFp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    Date an ENFP. It's sure to reduce your seriousness, direction and normality to zero .

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post

- connect all the random symptoms you have had over the last year and try to find possible deadly diagnoses on google.
    Oh geez. I do this sometimes. Am I abusing my poor Ne?!
    4w3 sx/sp? INFP, INFp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by yvonne View Post
    i have one example of using Ne in conversation. with someone who gets it, it's great! you start with whatever pops into your head and go free flow from there. some people don't like it, but it can make a very entertaining conversation and you'll probably end up knowing something you had no intention of knowing... and you'll probably end up in stitches

Ne to me is also how INTPness described it. ... and you can totally start wondering... like you see something and you'll imagine what it could be... and you go kick a snowball on your way to the park and you take a different route on the way back... Ne is pure fun, really...
    So, don't be afraid of letting it have free reign? Kind of like let it off of its Fi leash?

I guess this is something best to try with an ENFP first so they'll understand if the conversation drives off the road and into a corn field several times before returning to the road (if we even return at all).
    4w3 sx/sp? INFP, INFp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by FireyPheonix View Post
    Don't you walk into a room and just notice random things, which could have interesting uses, or trigger a whole story in your head, or an unusual association?
    Or imagine all the possible ways, an important converstation could go. The multiple response you could get during a speech.
    A good idea is plan a holiday, and imagine all the possible scenaros you coud be in (it's a bitch packing when you think like that though). It's like breathing to me, I just do it.
    Oh okay. I do that. So what is the voice that tells you "No, you won't need this item"... is that Fi? Or maybe Si... or Te?
    4w3 sx/sp? INFP, INFp