User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    infp

Default How idyllic is your life, How idyllic is your spirit?

The question is for mainly NF but please, all types feel free to answer. I ask because the title of this section is idyllic, meaning a connection between NF and idyllic has been drawn.

How do any NFs (or even other types) relate to the word idyllic?

Ps. I think that this section should have been called the NF mean crazy people who will beat your head in if you hurt a small animal, then they will drop your sorry butt off at the hospital... But then thats my take on NF.

MBTI
    INFP

I've never used the word 'idyllic' to describe myself in my entire life which is a good thing because it doesn't apply to people. The definition I found is that its an extremely happy, peaceful, or picturesque episode or scene, typically an idealized or unsustainable one.

Obviously, its meant to describe this NF section and not the NFs in it. It sounds like a rather hopeful vision that the NFs will be very happy and contented here...unlike how they've been somewhat less happy and contented elsewhere(a place that shall remain nameless). Personally, I'm hoping this section is more of a scene than an episode, and I'm hoping its not unsustainable.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Alienclock View Post
    The question is for mainly NF but please, all types feel free to answer. I ask because the title of this section is idyllic, meaning a connection between NF and idyllic has been drawn.

How do any NFs (or even other types) relate to the word idyllic?

Ps. I think that this section should have been called the NF mean crazy people who will beat your head in if you hurt a small animal, then they will drop your sorry butt off at the hospital... But then thats my take on NF.
    It is only the fate of the idealists to have their dreams crushed by the austere face of the real world.

The champion of doleful countenance himself shall tell you!

'
    Quote Originally Posted by My dearest friend View Post
    Now if we have so far convinced ourselves apriori by the most universal considerations, by investigation of the first, elementary features of human life, that such a life, by whole tendency and disposition, is not capable of any true bliss or happiness, but is essentially suffering in many forms and a tragic state in every way, we might now awaken in this conviction much more vividly within us, if, by proceeding more aposteriori, we turned to more definite instances, brought pictures to the imagination, and described by examples the unspeakable misery presented by experience and history, wherever we look, and whatever avenue we explore?But perhaps at the end of his life, no man, be he sincere and at the same time in possession of his faculties, will ever wish to go through it again. Rather than this, he will much prefer to choose complete non-existenceThe essential purport of the world-famous Hamlet monologue is, in condensed form, that our state of existence is so wretched, that non-existence would decided be preferable to it.... If we were to conduct the most hardened and callous optimist through hospitals, infirmaries, operating theatres, through prisons, torture chambers, and slave-hovels, over battlefields and to places of execution; if we were to open him all the dark abodes of misery, where it shuns the gaze of cold curiosity, and finally were to allow him to glance into the dungeon of Ugolino where prisoners starved to death, he too would certainly see in the end what kind of a best of all possible worlds this is. For whence did Dante get the material for his hell, if not from this actual world of ours? And indeed he made a downright hell of it. On the other hand, when he came to the task of describing heaven and its delights, he had an insuperable difficulty before him, just because our world affords absolutely no material for anything of the kind?. For the rest I cannot here withhold the statement that optimism, where it is not merely the thoughtless talk of those who harbor nothing but words under their shallow foreheads, seems to me not merely an absurd, but also a really wicked, way of thinking, a bitter mockery of the unspeakable suffering of mankind. And let no one imagine that the Christian teaching is favorable to optimism, because in the gospels, evil and this world are used almost as synonymous expressions.

MBTI
    type

I can't answer these questions. At the moment, my life is pretty idyllic.

I've been humming this song all day because of this thread.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    I can't answer these questions. At the moment, my life is pretty idyllic.

I've been humming this song all day because of this thread.
    You've got to be pretending!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

My life is pretty darn good right now for the most part. Can a person be idyllic? I thought it was more like a painting of a farm. Green grass and complacently grazing cows. *goes to dictionary tool on dashboard* I am not idyllic. I'm too much of a worrier, but my life is the most idyllic it has ever been and I am loving it. God grant it continues to be so.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    My life is pretty darn good right now for the most part. Can a person be idyllic? I thought it was more like a painting of a farm. Green grass and complacently grazing cows. *goes to dictionary tool on dashboard* I am not idyllic. I'm too much of a worrier, but my life is the most idyllic it has ever been and I am loving it. God grant it continues to be so.
    Sorry cafe, but I just cant help but suspect this is your NF wishful thinking. I can hardly imagine anybody could be truly happy in this world. They could convince themselves that they are, but at honest introspection we all shall discover how wretched our existence truly is! Nothing personal, but I am yet to be convinced of true possibility of complacence on earth.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Sorry cafe, but I just cant help but suspect this is your NF wishful thinking. I can hardly imagine anybody could be truly happy in this world. They could convince themselves that they are, but at honest introspection we all shall discover how wretched our existence truly is! Nothing personal, but I am yet to be convinced of true possibility of complacence on earth.
    There are, of course, degrees of happiness and I too have my troubles, but my life is very good. I have a husband that I respect, like, and am highly attracted to. I have children whom I love and and also like. I have a home of my own, most of my material needs and many of my wants are met. I have been through some hard times in my life (though I know people who have been through much worse), but right now, life is pleasant and I am enjoying it. I'm delighted to be where I am and I hope that it lasts as long as possible.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    There are, of course, degrees of happiness and I too have my troubles, but my life is very good. I have a husband that I respect, like, and am highly attracted to. I have children whom I love and and also like. I have a home of my own, most of my material needs and many of my wants are met. I have been through some hard times in my life (though I know people who have been through much worse), but right now, life is pleasant and I am enjoying it. I'm delighted to be where I am and I hope that it lasts as long as possible.
    Well, I am glad to hear that at least... though I keep on thinking that happiness doesnt really exist... what it really is ... is just moments where misery subsists..

Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Happiness is only a dream, pain is real.... I have experienced this for eighty years. I know of nothing better than to resign myself to this and to say flies are born to be eaten by spiders, and men to be devoured by trouble and affliction

MBTI
    INFP

<<though I keep on thinking that happiness doesnt really exist... what it really is ... is just moments where misery subsists..>>

Illusion! Conceit! Pure fancy! It is quite the opposite. But I suppose as a Idyllic NF I would say that...

Also Hamlet even after his "to be or not to be" speech chose to be. It is funny how many people forget that and call it his "suicide monolouge."

Also Idyllic is what I seek. Probably won't find it before death, but if I found it now, things would become awfully dull.
    Rob

"And if you hear vague traces of skipping reels of rhyme,
    To your tambourine in time.
    It's just a ragged clown behind,
    I wouldn't pay it any mind,
    It's just a shadow you're seeing that he's chasing."

-From "Mr. Tambourine Man"
    by Bob Dylan