• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJackasses?

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Have you tried explaining what they don't know in a patient, logical, non-judgmental manner? That always works for me... my response to someone calmly pointing out that I don't know so much after all is to feel humble and :blush:.
In my case, that had not worked, but, I suspect in my case the INFJ was starting to lose her grip on reality. Also she was considerably older, and just couldn't accept she was wrong...especially if informed so, by some one who was young enough to be her daughter. Sort of sad really.

This isn't directed towards any one here BTW, at all. In fact, I'm a bit embarrassed I'm kinda jumping on the band wagon a bit.

I do think that particular character trait springs up, when they are used to being the smartest person around, and no-one challenges it for a long time, or they are being self deceptive, clinging blindly to a belief that's long out lived it's usefulness. (or both) I also think it's a result of a really sheltered life, where they've been indulged a little too much, and not questioned enough.
That's a bit damning. Sorry. I like you guys, I really do. I've vented before about this particular INFJ:cry:

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Hmmm...I've actually never encountered this.

I thought by definition INFJs were engineered towards thoughtfulness, judiciousness, and nurturing. :p

I have a lot of respect for the INFJs I know IRL and even on this forum INFJs in general seem very level-headed...

Thinking of the flaws of the ones I know IRL, what the OP describes doesn't apply.

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmmm...I've actually never encountered this.

I thought by definition INFJs were engineered towards thoughtfulness, judiciousness, and nurturing. :p

I have a lot of respect for the INFJs I know IRL and even on this forum INFJs in general seem very level-headed...

Thinking of the flaws of the ones I know IRL, what the OP describes doesn't apply.

The OP sounds a little hurt and jaded. I know exactly what you are talking about though.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:yes: I have an INFJ friend who I suspect wants to be burned at their stake for her beliefs. I like INFJ's a lot though (The very few I have encountered IRL), they seem so sure of themselves and so smart I never have to think again! :newwink:

I have noticed a lot of INFJ's have been getting flak lately, it's curious. I am just glad no one has started a thread called "A question to INFP's" which asks: how many times a day do you cut yourself? Do you realize how irrational and selfish you are? Do you actually think people like your shitty-ass poetry?

I'm pretty sure there is a thread with that hiding in the bowels of this forum. I'd have to send some energy on diging it up though; an endevour hardly worth the effort, if you know what I mean.

sculpting

I have known about six infjs and they all seem pretty cool honstly-grounded, caring, not without fault but reasonable.

My one infj guy friend said when he was younger he was a real jerk to people but has grown up a lot.

I really find the infjs here to be beautiful and thought provoking. And many are very kind...

P

Phantonym

I guess this depends on what people consider annoying.

Mature INFJs have their own annoying attitudes. The example in the OP seems to be most likely a way to protect oneself by holding on to the beliefs. Admitting that you're wrong seems worse than behaving cocky.

Personally, I think I've been awesome since birth but ignorance is bliss and I'd rather not know what people really think of me most of the time. Merely being myself can annoy people out quite a lot. I have great potential to be an INFJackass, thank you very much. :smile:

The single INFJ I've met in "real life" is a wonderful human being and I feel honoured to know her. The INFJs online are among the awesomest people I've met. :)

MBTI Type
INxJ
Not actually. They are only a figment of the imagination. For some people it is a figment of everything they hate and for others, everything they love.

Good to know ALL INFJs are exactly the same.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've experienced this...I always felt so stupid cuz I have no idea what to say and start to believe what he says. >_<

Yes exactly--And if you show that emotion they'll assume your stupidity is valid which self-justifies their crazy running off in their mind like that and just makes things....Wrong.

Hopefully they don't keep on and heap criticism on top of insult..at least you know you're sane if you are able to listen to the quite voice of intellect reaffirm the facts :)

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Have you tried explaining what they don't know in a patient, logical, non-judgmental manner? That always works for me... my response to someone calmly pointing out that I don't know so much after all is to feel humble and :blush:.

Perhaps you havent attempted this^ with an INFJ who is off-the-tracks running on pure Ni...having left the Se, Fe, and Ti cars neglected far behind.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Perhaps you havent attempted this^ with an INFJ who is off-the-tracks running on pure Ni...having left the Se, Fe, and Ti cars neglected far behind.

I'm the INFJ. I was referring to when NT's or ST's explain things to me in a calm, logical manner.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
+1

There is also the little issue of moral hypocrisy that pops up from time to time and the inevitable spin that follows if you call them out on it, which can turn quite nasty if you continue to stand your ground.

I am sure whoever coined the phrase "do as I say, not as I do" was an INFJ

Otherwise they tend to be lovely:wubbie:

+99

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I guess this depends on what people consider annoying.

Mature INFJs have their own annoying attitudes. The example in the OP seems to be most likely a way to protect oneself by holding on to the beliefs. Admitting that you're wrong seems worse than behaving cocky.

Personally, I think I've been awesome since birth but ignorance is bliss and I'd rather not know what people really think of me most of the time. Merely being myself can annoy people out quite a lot. I have great potential to be an INFJackass, thank you very much. :smile:

The single INFJ I've met in "real life" is a wonderful human being and I feel honoured to know her. The INFJs online are among the awesomest people I've met. :)

I know a very well balanced INFJ. She's mature. These things don't all apply to everyone.

decided

MBTI Type
INFJ
Are attitudes actually linked to personality type?

I'm pretty sure I've seen those annoying behaviours in lots of different people/types. I know a certain INTJ that was adamant Colin Firth's name was Colin Frith. (My husband.:wubbie:) Luckily we were in a video store and I was able to show him three - yes three - different DVD covers to eventually convince him he was wrong. :D

Hahaha, good times.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Well now we know NTs have souls and that INFJs aren't perfect.

Two MBTI myths scratched off the list!

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
any type can be an asshole. to the op, did you honestly think assholery was reserved for INFJ's? ;)

that being said, i find myself offending people often with extra thoughts or opposing views on most subjects. the people i come into contact with often just want to hear how great things are.

i recently asked the dude at the coffee shop how he would react if someone actually told him how they were when he asked. he said he hoped that never happened. so to answer your question, yes, i can be an jackass sometimes too and honestly life would be boring if we didn't challenge people occasionally. :smile:

PS- peguy, you're a mature INFJ. rinse, repeat. :laugh:

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
any type can be an asshole. to the op, did you honestly think assholery was reserved for INFJ's? ;)

Transcends the familiar doesn't it

You're talking about one's own nature...

That perhaps once it starts it couldn't end otherwise