User Tag List

MBTI
    ENFJ

Default ENFJ "Tit for Tat" Humor

So, ENFJ's, describe your sense of humor when it comes to banter between you and your friends.

Example:

Situation: Friends and I are playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl for Wii, and I'm winning. I've just knocked out a friend's character.

Friend: DAMNIT why do I keep falling!

Me: Why don't you stop falling? LOL

It's not meant to be mean, it's meant to make my friend laugh at himself... I'm still in the process of feeling out exactly where that line is though lol. I've got to be careful because it can come across as incredibly venomous, and I think this is something of a reciprocal function to that whole ENFJ knowing-exactly-what-to-say-to-make-people-feel-good ability. It's also occurred to me that this may just be a guy thing.

So how do you, ENFJ, engage in playful banter? How is this banter received by its recipient and how does it come across to bystanders (potential casualties ) ? How do other ENFJ's whom you know engage in playful banter?
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    ENFj

Playful banter? Well I today at work it went kind of like this:

coworker1: Can you get me a coffee with some mocha

coworker2: Sure, how much mocha?

coworker1: like 2 those jerks always put too much on it

cowoker2: lol I am going to just tell them to give me the whole load. lol

Me: That's what she said!

Sorry, my humor is corny.
    ENFJ 3W4

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

Mine can vary a lot between puns, crude remarks, corny remarks, etc.

Example 1: via facebook
    Unkind is in an open relationship with Princess Ariel
    Friend A: ...what???
    Me: She's beautiful. You have no idea the kind of love we have under the seaaa.

Example 2: via texting
    Me: Ariel doesn't put out enough
    Friend B: She put out 3 times a day until her gills were sore. You just don't show her who's boss.
    Me: You bruised her fishvag. The torture i've inflicted doesn't make her well lubricated.
    (etc)

Example 3: in general
    Me: Your face!
    Friend A: Your Mom!
    Me: Your Mom's face!
    Friend A: What about my Mom's face?!
    Me: It's purdy

Example 4: in general
    Friend A: I want to go to the store.
    Me: Nope, never.
    Friend A: I need a drink!
    Me: Nah-uh. Can't happen.
    Friend A: Do you have a drink?
    Me: No, there are no drinks. Not a one anywhere.
    Friend A: ...Let's go to the store.
    Me: Okay
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

That's an interesting way of phrasing it...."tit for tat". Yes, I see this banter style with ENFJs. Most are far too kind & considerate to take it too far. It's gentle teasing at worst. Most of the time they're just unwittingly setting me up to make a real jab....I tell them they handed it to me if they fake being wounded . And you know someone's teasing is coming from a kind place when it makes an INFP look mean .
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    It's not meant to be mean, it's meant to make my friend laugh at himself... I'm still in the process of feeling out exactly where that line is though lol. I've got to be careful because it can come across as incredibly venomous, and I think this is something of a reciprocal function to that whole ENFJ knowing-exactly-what-to-say-to-make-people-feel-good ability. It's also occurred to me that this may just be a guy thing.
    I’m leaning towards its more of a guy thing, but I think it gets MAGNIFIED in a male ENFJ. My two best friends are ENFJ and we seem to do this the most out of everyone we know. But like you said, it is always intended to make the other person laugh at himself.

Example: The other day my radiator hose blew out in my car and so I started calling people to try and find someone to come and pick me up. No one was answering so I started texting people. So I text my ENFJ friend and the conversation goes something like this.

(text message)
    Me: My damn radiator hose just blew!!! I’m (curse word) stranded.

ENFJ friend: Oh man……..that BLOWS…..literally…..HaHaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Me: I think you used that one when my tire BLEW out. What are you doing? Using recycled material now?

ENFJ friend: All the greatest comedians use recycled material man.. Alright fine… Your radiator hose hosed you ….. Aww man…you got HOSED. HaHaaaaaaaaaaaaa

And of course after this I’m not so upset anymore and then I can sit there and laugh at myself.

How is this banter received by its recipient
    They love it. It will usually go one of two ways. Either people that we hang out with are already used to this kind of banter and find it hilarious…or…. Someone who is not used to that kind of banter in the group will learn how to get used to it. Haha.. usually this works in their benefit because they learn to have a better sense of humor.

and how does it come across to bystanders (potential casualties ) ?
    Bystanders love it. Everybody loves it and finds it hilarious. But you know theres always that 1 guy out of 100 that doesn't react well... so you just gotta be on the lookout for him and figure out where his boundary is.

Glycerine

Pseudo-mocking, sarcasm, and irony.

Hate

Oh ya... I forgot to add... The ENFJ girls that I know seem to use this funny kind of humor as well. So now I'm starting to wonder if this is an ENFJ thing.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

Ah. This thread is awesome. I've been trying to think of real examples in my life. So here are some.

I love playing with words.

INTJ Friend: Doing anything fun for your 4 day weekend?
    Me: The processor chip in my brain was overheating from running too many hours straight, so the calculator application was experiencing confusion and disorientation. I have 3 days off. Tomorrow being the extra day, and left early today.
    INTJ: You should consider installing a larger cooling fan into your power supply and install a triple bios management driver to better control circuit temperature and fan speed.

Was playing raquetball the other day, and kept bursting out in laughter at different phrases and the mental pictures that kept growing on them.
    Ie.
    I kept hitting the ball too hard, so I said, "I just need to be more gentle handling the ball.." (and couldn't finish my sentence realizing what I'd just said)

OR... Ball they gave us was pink. I catch it in a funny place, "I have pink balls!" and burst out laughing.

This example isn't super humorous, but more classic as to the kinds of random things I say. Funny thing is, this type of witty humor makes me laugh... whereas my ESFP friend would give me a weird look and not think it's funny at all.
    Last edited by nynesneg; 05-08-2010 at 04:11 AM.
    3w2

Those who are content being normal lack the depth and passion to rise above mediocracy.
    To push beyond their natural abilities and create a reality from their dreams.

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4

my ENFJ friend also plays with words and it comes in unexpected situations. also, she has great timing and can be nicely sarcastic. we laugh together a lot.
    Enneagram 5w4.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    Pseudo-mocking, sarcasm, and irony.
    I do the same and enjoy it a lot...most people who witness it seem to enjoy it as well
    We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull; some have weird names and all are different colours, but they all have to live in the same box.