• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] In Love/Lust?? with an ENFP

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w9
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum, and this is my first post. I want to tell everyone a story about a girl. A girl for whom I have never felt anything like what I'm feeling, and I wish she would be plain with me, but I have a feeling that she may not even know what being plain is, and maybe I don't either for that matter.

***If you are not in the mood to read a long post, give up now***

I met this girl, Lisa, through a friend/acquaintance who was going out with her at the time, when he brought her over to our house for a party my roommates and I were having. Though she came with him to our party, she spent about 5 mins with him, and the rest of the time talking to my roommate and I, and I should add that she also helped us do the dishes that night. From the very beginning, I was suspect of her extreme friendliness. Though, not in a negative way, I just got the impression that this girl was so outwardly friendly, and so easy to talk to, that there must be a great deal more to her then met the eye. That impression didn't linger in my mind too long however, because I didn't really think that I would see much of her after that night.

Her boyfriend was becoming much closer friends with my roommate, to the point that my roommate Nick consequently became closer friends with Lisa also. Lisa's boyfriend, found a job in another city across the country, and what ensued was a long term relationship between the two of them. Lisa, however, now being close to Nick, was beginning to spend some time with him, and as a result would come over our house every now and again. Needless to say, her amazing personality eventually won us all over, and she slowly but surely, became a regular fixture at our place. We would cook and eat together, watch movies, talk, sing, etc.. She was over so often, she would start to say things like " I feel more at home here, than I do at my place with my roommates."

The time came for her to help her boyfriend finalize his move to that city across the country, and she went with him on a road trip, which we were all imagining would be the perfect opportunity for him to ask her to marry him. Nick was especially frustrated by this, because he, more than any of us was becoming secretly attached to her. She got back from the trip, informing Nick that they had broken up. It had now become Nick's mission to win Lisa over, and what this meant for us was that, we now saw Lisa practically everyday of the week. I was always hesitant to get too close to Lisa, even though I really liked her, I would not or could not engage in any prolonged conversation with her, nor did I facebook friend her, nor would I pay any special attention to her. Rather, I found myself enjoying our group activities and subconsciously would find myself never really addressing her directly. I think this was the case because I strongly believed that she and Nick would eventually become a couple.

One fateful night she got on the computer and decided to have us all try to figure out our personality type. This intrigued me but also raised some alarms in me. First, I thought, if she was the type to be curious about people's personalities, then this must have meant that she was somewhat of a social architect or engineer. In other words, I began to realize that there was a method to her playfulness, and her friendliness. I was and am thoroughly convinced of her good will though, so it didn't really mean that I was suspicious of her intentions, I was just finally starting to see an avenue open up for my first impression of her. I was beginning to be intrigued by the potential of depth within her. It turned out that I was an INFP, and she was an ENFP, and Nick, I believe was a I/ESTJ. Our other roommate Theo was an Artisan of some kind. I took this info with a grain of salt, as it didn't really concern me at the time to know all about my type, but the information did stick with me.

As time passed, Nick felt he was ready to discuss the nature of he and Lisa's relationship. Lisa stated that she was not fully over her boyfriend and therefore wanted to keep their status as "friends". Nick was not deterred by this and moved forward with renewed vigor with the hope that he would and could win her over with his lucid displays of love for her. Nick, a very loving, positive person, planned so many things for them to do, and kept the friendship so entertaining that we all believed that she indeed was growing to appreciate him at a deeper level. Which perhaps she was, but as we were to find out later, that level never reached the state that Nick was hoping it would, a commitment. Lisa, eventually confessed to Nick that they "just weren't on the same page".

Before this happened however, two things occurred which caused me to change my disposition towards Lisa, from aloof to consciously interested in her. One night during the holiday season, Lisa, Nick, Theo, and I, along with another very sweet & pretty young girl visiting from another city decided to go out and buy a Christmas tree and decorations. I was being my normal shy and rather quiet self, but did manage to have some small and pleasant conversations with the pretty new girl, which were scratching the surface of depth. We got into talking about culture, life etc.. Lisa, never having really made an effort to discuss topics like this before was all the sudden agreeing with me, and in general being very amiable during these conversations. I made a slight note of that in my mind, but didn't know what to make of it. After purchasing the tree, we went to buy decorations from a store, and while looking, Lisa drifted into the next isle alone, to which I immediately followed her instinctively, without thinking, and said "Where are you going Lisa, we need your help choosing!". Her response to this action jolted me so thoroughly, I am still feeling the effects of it. Once I said this to her, she, without saying a word followed me over to the other isle, standing very close to me, exuding a energy I could literally feel warming my heart. The feeling was so intense, I believe I fell in love with her from that moment onward. The feeling was so amazing and powerful, it confused me and left me unable to respond to it. I was so convinced that she and Nick were going to be together, and now here she was directing this overwhelming attention to me, all without saying a word. I felt both guilty towards Nick and loved by her at the same time. Somehow I was able to put that episode in the back of my mind and not concentrate on it again for the rest of the night.

The next instance happened when Lisa, Nick and I volunteered for a dinner fundraiser thing, and at the end of the night when cleaning, Lisa presented herself before me, exuding again a radiant energy without saying a word. Now I realize this sounds a bit mystical, but I know with all my heart that I felt this energy, and it made me feel wonderful and loved.

These two instances placed the burdensome thought in my head, that Lisa was into me. I decided that I would let this thought pass right through my head, but made the mistake of confiding in my very good friend, that I began to think about her, that I had begun to like her. Once I materialized this thought, there was no going back, and slowly but surely I started making tiny steps towards showing her my interest.

It all began with an email that I sent her after having not seen her for a week, to which I ended it with a casual, "I miss you". Then I began to text her, inviting her over personally and making plans to do things with her and the rest of us. Nick, now having to acknowledge that they were to remain friends was growing a bit uneasy by all this, so I had to eventually confess to him, that I liked her. He was not surprised, nor was he pleased. We talked about it but did not find any resolve. He loves her, and is having a difficult time accepting their status as solely friends, and her sticking around us was only making things more difficult. I completely understood and understand.

More pressing matters were weighing down my heart however, and I quickly reached the point where I felt I had to be plain about my feelings for her. Not having the opportunity or the courage to speak to her about face to face, I wrote her a long email jumbled with my feelings, essentially asking her what she really thought of me. I, being somewhat of a fifth wheel during most of our friendship, was a bit confused by the instances in which she acknowledged me with her non-verbal displays, which left me enamored.

I somewhat expected her to say what she said in her response, which was something to the effect of, "I cherish you as a unique individual in my life, but see you as a friend"...with the special clause however, that "no one can say whether the nature of friendship will always remain the same", to which I, as a feeling person, am compelled to want to believe because I know how we feelers aren't necessarily the most reliable types when it comes to consistency of emotion. Yet, having been hurt so many times before due to my excessive naivete, cannot find the trust and strength I would need to continue working towards loving this beautiful, clever, and emotionally closed off woman.

The last few times we have hung out together (in a group), I have found her to be kind but reserved. I cannot continue to try if it will stay at this level, but then again, when certain opportunities have arisen for us to spend some time alone, I found myself completely unable to open up to her as well. I am afraid of her using her cleverness to escape the uncomfortable situation, my asking her to explain herself, will cause. I will perceive this and become instantly hurt by it. I know I will, and will probably not be able to be around her anymore, not without some form of resentment. So I keep things safe, writing her such things like, "I know that I cannot grow attached to you because of your kindness, but need to constantly examine my intentions towards you so that I can be sure that no undue attachment develops".

If you have made it this far, than I need to ask your advice, you other NFP's out there. Please tell me, what do you think? I have been reading the ENFP, INFP personality traits for a few months now thinking to myself how amazing of a connection Lisa and I could have. But this is only serves to make things more painful because whenever I see her in person, that connection seems impossible to achieve. Sometimes I get the impression that she has pulled my card, and is in the process of letting me down easy. In other words, she is playing along with my futile attempt to develop some form of relationship with her, but she knows that I will eventually lose hope and will fizzle away. Which leads me to another thought, is my love for her real? I find myself gazing into her eyes, and being moved physically, I always imagine kissing her cheek, and working my way towards her lips. When it comes to knowing whether or not we are compatible beyond my attraction to her personality and her appearance, I do believe that we could be if we were ever able to open up to each other, but there are so many obstacles between where we are now towards that blessed state.

Can anyone offer some insight, I'd appreciate it.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Yikes, yikes, this seems like the plotline for a tragic emo movie aimed at teens and those in their early 20s.

I really feel for you, I can tell you really like her and you tried so hard to behave 'nobly' when you thought your friend was making moves on her.

I think this kind of situation is sadly too common with NFs...basically - why in the world are you and your roommate Nick still hanging out with her???

That is SO WEIRD!

Stop that!

I'm serious.

It can only lead to no good.

I think your friend Nick is a bigger...okay, I won't say "fool" for that is harsh, but really, yeah, that's what he'll be saying down the road when he looks back at this.

As for the clause she left...oh, I'm sure she didn't mean any harm but mang, how crafty and evil if she *were* doing it on purpose. Because with that one clause, she really gave you the nail with which to keep that door open in your heart indefinitely. I'm not sure why she told you that other than she is also young.

Did you never follow up with her about that clause?

Getting hooked on an XNFP is a bad idea unless you have a black belt in relationship communication and are strong enough to walk away and lay down the law.

Frankly, it sounds from your OP that both you and your friend Nick are way over your head. So is she.

Again, I don't understand how in the world you can all be hanging out like nothing's changed. It must be awkward and painful to the third power.

If I were you EHS, I would tell Lisa that you need time away from her until you can heal from this and get over her. And I would tell Nick this and tell him that you would appreciate it if he could stop asking her over to the house - that you have no problem with them hanging out, just to keep it out of your periphery. If he gives you grief, remind him that when he was courting her you respectfully stayed out of the way and it was only after Lisa already rejected him that you simply could not hold back on your growing attraction and it wasn't intentional.

If either of them give you grief after that, move out. I'm not kidding.

Learn from this experience and next time, be more proactive, act sooner, be clearer. Take the plunge and tell someone you are interested in them before you are firmly both in the friend zone and have your feelings involved.

The whole "I like you as a friend but maybe in the future that will change" - as an INFP, never, EVER, ever accept this. Assume ^^ statement is BS and means "I want to string you along and have you shower attention on me so I can feel better about myself and not have to apologize when years later, you are still in love with me and I'm happily married with triplets". An exaggeration, but keep it in your mind as motivation.

INFPs get your asses kicked ALL THE TIME in love and relationships because you are just waaaaaaay too nice and give people too much leeway and not enough consequences. And XNFP + XNFP in this case is just an emo disaster waiting to happen.

I feel really feel for you, fellow XNFP, I really do.

Walk away while the choice is still yours. Don't wait until things fall apart on you and you're left with shambles.

And keep us informed.

BTW...welcome to the forum :D I hope you stick around here way after this situation is resolved.

Malkavia

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
3w4
Wow..that a long post.

I agreed with CzeCze though. You need to get out of that situation. Shes just "keeping her options open" which is not something you want.

Surely she did not use that clause to be manipulative...but if she did shes a woman you probably want to avoid. I just broke my arm, or I would type more. >.<

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
INFPs get your asses kicked ALL THE TIME in love and relationships because you are just waaaaaaay too nice and give people too much leeway and not enough consequences.

I disagree with that uber generalization. :shock: We are capable of learning after being kicked the first time, just like every other type.

Dear EnflamedHeartofSand,

I think you sound infatuated. Infatuation is a problem for NFs. I agree that you need to distant yourself and be very careful. The worse thing you can do is keep prolonging this, waiting for rejection.

"no one can say whether the nature of friendship will always remain the same"

The only thing you can do is move on since she is not willing to make a decision about you.

I really hate waiting for stuff like this, it eats away at me. I like things to be determined and then, use all my efforts to move away from it and be done.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I have been reading the ENFP, INFP personality traits for a few months now thinking to myself how amazing of a connection Lisa and I could have. But this is only serves to make things more painful because whenever I see her in person, that connection seems impossible to achieve.

You are hoping for a relationship based on what you *think* you could have vs. what you actually have. If you look at things aside from ENFP/INFP what do you actually have? I think you are caught in the NF "what if" thing.

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w9
Thanks for the input, I agree with all of you that this is not an ideal situation, and is perhaps detrimental at worst, and ambiguous at best.

Due to lack of time and energy, I wasn't able to paint a complete picture of the relationship or the situation, which now is causing me to regret having posted anything at all.

Aurel, I think your right, I need to assess what we really have together, and I have been doing that, but I am caught in a perpetual state of wanting to see her but not being able to be in the kind of disposition that would make me comfortable around her. She has expressed interest in keeping our friendship alive, so in a sense the ball is in my court to befriend her, but everytime I want to pursue, it begins to feel like I am forcing things, and this isn't working for me.

I need to have faith and let things happen naturally, even if that means we will eventually grow apart. The creeping thought in the back of my mind which bothers me though, is that if I actually did try and pursue her in the right way, then she would be open to what I would offer. I guess, at the heart of the issue, I am mainly angry with myself for not having the ability to be more bold and sure about what I like about her.

I rely on certain occasions in the past in which she has expressed interest in me to give me the courage to approach her now, which is basically telling me, that I would only pursue her if I was 100% completely sure that she liked me. Which means, I am worried more about the state of my own feelings than I am of becoming her friend. I hate that so much about myself and I wish I could change that.

When I initially wrote the post, I think I was looking for someone to explain what those non-verbal episodes meant, looking back on it now though, I realize that those instances aren't pivotal to what she may or may not feel about me.

To all of you who are worried about my ass getting kicked, I accept your concern but I need to reiterate one thing--- I am thoroughly convinced of her good intentions--and even if those good intentions will eventually cause me a lot of pain, trust me, it does me more harm to believe that she has any ill will rather than believe with all my heart that she is trying to make sense of things and that she is doing the best she can with what she has. I know the latter to be true, and nothing will ever convince me of the former.

I was so stifled by this situation last night that I needed to talk to someone about it, maybe I shouldn't have been so quick to release these deeply personal feelings to a bunch of strangers. Nevertheless I did so, and please forgive me for having roused your concerns without committing to trusting your opinions. I do appreciate this forum though, and have learned a lot from it. I will be a bit more realistic about my expectations next time.

skittlesloli

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I kinda feel where this girl is coming from, and you're right, its very unlikely that shes meaning any harm by any of this.
I've had this kind of situation before with guy friends, but they either never told me, which really kinda sucks, or they did and I was able to be honest with them without harming the friendship.

Personally, I feel connected to both ENFP and INFP, I may be talkative and friendly, etc, but when it comes to matters of the heart I am very protective of myself and venture only when I feel comfortable enough. Sometimes it helped when the guy would lead, but still take my feelings into consideration "Am I hugging you too much? Are we going too fast?".
Try and see her message as a positive instead of a negative. She may be asking you to make a move, to start courting her, to help her decide if you two are good for something more or better off as friends.

Of course, while typing this I also imagine being her and just getting a bunch of "I don't know!" to every question you've asked. Its a really tough situation to be in because I don't think she wants to hurt you or cause any negativity with you, hence why she said she likes being your friend.

If I were her... well, I'm not sure what I'd want. I think I'd be concerned about my ex and how quickly things were happening with this other man in my life, what this could look like to other people who aren't caught up in the feelings. I have a feeling that she could be worried about what others would think of her for not only appearing to have moved on from her ex, but to be together with the roommate of a guy she recently rejected. Cause if her an I are anything alike, which I can't be sure, we don't want others to hate us for following our hearts, and we can end up making sacrifices until we know its "safe". Maybe she needs closure from your room mate that hes okay with you two exploring your feelings more?
Its so hard for us to make a decision, especially when people's hearts are on the line.

I'm very new to this whole personality types thing, so I may not know as much as the other NFs here.
I'm going to think more on this for you.

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w9
Thanks skittles,
I think that is the only way to approach the situation, keep my feelings and aspirations positive.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Hello,

I deleted my original reply last night.. but no need to apologize. This is a forum. You're open to ask any questions, so long as the intent's not meant to harm or provoke action, I don't see anything wrong with what you wrote. In fact, I found it really endearing. :heart:

Isn't life mostly all about ambiguity? Even if we want clear cut answers, it won't always be apparent? Even if we map out what we want, things don't always take its course accordingly. Go with the flow with whatever it tosses us?

Anyway- my initial reaction towards her comment about "I see you more as a friend, but it doesn't mean it won't lead to anything else" was that she meant exactly what she said. When I date someone, I keep it CLEAR and simple. If I'm not into a guy, I tell him straight up. If I am, then I wouldn't play with his emotions, nor would I ever want to hurt anybody. But, everyone's different. Based on the story that's told to us- seems like she's sincere. I don't think she's trying to toy around with anyone's emotions, but that's just me. It doesn't seem that way through interactions that's mentioned in the OP.

I think she may find you attractive, because i sure as hell wouldn't ever tell a guy, "maybe." If I'm not feeling him whatsoever, I wouldn't even leave the option of "friends" after he tells me he has feelings for me. If he insists we be friends, then I will agree just to be platonic on my part but would say something along the lines of "We can only hang out as friends, as long as you and I are clear about where the boundaries are, and that you don't feel led on, we can hang out every once in a while." I'm firm/friendly about it, but not too friendly as to give him the wrong impression. Get what I mean? I only say it in hopes that feelings will dissipate, because they do- and that's when we can truly be platonic friends. No harm in that, right?

In regards to your situation, I would feel it out a little more, but at the same time, focus on my own life for now. Who knows what will happen.. Personally, if I were in her shoes, I'd take my time a little, not too long though, because that would mean that something's a little off (or perhaps the situation isn't right? I don't know the whole full story- her side.. so..)

Best of luck! & Welcome!:)

skittlesloli

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Kiddy is right. Think about it, she not only dumped her boyfriend but she rejected your roommate as well, if shes been so honest with men in the past there's a good chance she is genuinely interested in you.

Dahlila

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Hi Enflamed :) I think you'll get a lot of helpful comments from posting your situation here.

The most overwhelming feeling I had while reading your post is that you could be heading in a direction to waste a good deal of time and energy for nothing. Good 'ol NF "what if" can make someone stay in a bad situation and try to work something out when it would be a lot better to just cut your ties. I don't doubt her honesty with you, but perhaps her honesty with herself with the email she sent you. You deserve more than a maybe! To adress the feeling of 'overwhelming attention' you experienced with her inthose moments was probably very real, but whatever you had then is likely gone now.

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
As the others have said, be careful with this. You might feel energy coming from a person and be totally convinced of its nature, but it may not be as mutual as it seems. And of course avoiding the friend of someone who desperately wanted to be with her might also cause some confused reactions.

However, with ENFPs, I just wanted to add my experience... I fell in love with an ENFP I had met first as a child and then later knew in high school and college. I didn't realize I'd fallen in love with him really, but I was strangely obsessed and incensed. I was also totally convinced that I could win him over, as I felt we shared a lot in common and I felt that he gave me a lot of attention and warmth. But for a solid 3 or 4 months of hanging out with him, he kept a poker face in tact, had a massive crush on another girl, enjoyed hanging out with me but the idea of us being a couple seemed to not occupy the furthest corner of his mind. He's naturally attentive and warm to a lot of people, really. But after some months, suddenly things turned and we ended up together. But for the longest time I had no idea what he thought of me. I didn't say anything beforehand either, I waited until he did. Ha! who's aloof now lol.

All I'm saying is, my experience is it can be really difficult to read behaviors in these situations, and that the ENFP that I have experience with has a habit of being exuberant around a lot of people, so you can not be sure exactly what you're going to get until you are told something straightforwardly.

ilovereeses

MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
9w8
When I initially wrote the post, I think I was looking for someone to explain what those non-verbal episodes meant, looking back on it now though, I realize that those instances aren't pivotal to what she may or may not feel about me.

Personally, as an ENFP, I sometimes like to gravitate to who I'm most comfortable with. Sometimes when I'm in a group, if one of the people shows a special interest in me or does something kind specifically to me, I will be around them a lot because I feel a positive energy from them and it makes me happy. (And if it's a guy, I have to at least have minimal interest in them, cuz I won't lead someone on if there's no way I'd ever like them).

It worries me that she's being so indecisive about whether she likes you or not. Usually, when I like someone, you can tell. I'll try to talk to them as much as I can. She probably sees you as potential.

Whatever you do, don't force her to make a decision about whether or not she likes you. She needs to make the decision herself for it to be her 100% true feelings. She will come to you if she decides that she likes you; she won't admit it right away, but she'll slowly start talking to you more and more and want to hang out all the time. Just go along with it and really get to know her. Ask her really meaningful things about herself to make her feel like you really care about her.

sculpting

sorry my dear but I would suggest some distance. Consciously or not, she has placed you in her possibilities "cookie jar" so to speak. I dont think she means to hurt you, but you are very sweet and sensitive and by adding that clause-I dunno, that is a lot of "maybe".

Perhaps the best way to move forward is for you to make the choice-either directly or via distancing from her to allow yourself closure as otherwise you will sort of linger on in this weird limbo.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
sorry my dear but I would suggest some distance. Consciously or not, she has placed you in her possibilities "cookie jar" so to speak. I dont think she means to hurt you, but you are very sweet and sensitive and by adding that clause-I dunno, that is a lot of "maybe".

Perhaps the best way to move forward is for you to make the choice-either directly or via distancing from her to allow yourself closure as otherwise you will sort of linger on in this weird limbo.

I don't think he's listening HP...^_^

Enflamed Heart of Sand -

I sincerely wish you the best of luck. I don't think anyone was saying this is situation was 100% doomed as the universe is full of vagaries and suprises. What we (okay what I) were saying is that the situation is not in your favor and it is *very likely* it will continue to be a bad situation for you and in only get worse.

And the point about whether she is doing this consciously or not or is a "good person" or not is a moot point. I was trying to point out that whether she means to or not, whether she feels affection for you or not, she could behave incredibly irresponsibly (which I think the 'maybe who knows' comment already was) and thoughtlessly towards you and you're the one who will end up getting hurt and you'll have no one to blame but yourself.

Because she already told you clearly NO. If someone tells you "NO" - no matter what they say afterwards or before, just take the "NO"

I am speaking from experience as an ENFP involved with INFPs, having been on both sides of that equation personally and because you asked. Honestly, I'm a little miffed that you ask for feedback and then you dismiss the answers you don't like with (paraphrased) "you're strangers who don't have all the details to my story." :dry:

Honestly, and don't take offense to the word, but it seems like you're willing to risk a lot, including your living situation and relationship to your roommate(s) who you've known longer, and your happiness and mental health - based purely on infatuation with someone you don't even know very well and it doesn't even seem like you really know what you yourself want right now.

You *feel* you "know" her, but you really don't. Even from your post you said you've barely had any personal on-one-on time with her. It's an important distinction to make - actually knowing someone and 'feeling' like you know someone - or more dangerously feeling like you are close or drawn to someone. The former is a good basis to make significant decisions on, the latter - not so much.

That psychological feeling on your part of intimacy and safety is ARTIFICIAL and will get you in big time trouble if you let heart go.

If people (okay maybe just me) sound a little harsh, it's only because we care. Like..."internet care". :alttongue: I don't want to be a Debbie Downer XXL, but I foresee bad things in the future for you if you continue on this path.

BUT, what do I know? :shrugs: This is your life and I respect the fact you have to make your own decisions, as we all. For better or worse, and as long as you are committed to what you are going to do, who cares what the nay-sayers and the peanut gallery say?

I sincerely wish you the best in this situation and hope you thoroughly enjoy this forum. I'm going to bow out of this thread now because it seems clear you don't really want to hear let alone agree with what I'm saying, which again, is totally your prerogative.

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w9
I am speaking from experience as an ENFP involved with INFPs, having been on both sides of that equation personally and because you asked. Honestly, I'm a little miffed that you ask for feedback and then you dismiss the answers you don't like with (paraphrased) "you're strangers who don't have all the details to my story."

CzeCze,
I apologized beforehand for precisely the reason you state above. After hearing words, admittingly, I didn't want to hear, I considered them and came to the conclusion that the information I gave was insufficient. I realize you are trying to help and surely, based on your own experiences, are more aware than I may be of the potential dangers of this particular situation. I completely agree with your analysis on the difference between feeling and knowing.

I think you need to understand though, that even though you may have had this experience and have grown to learn a great deal from it, it doesn't necessarily qualify you to make such an in depth, and overreaching analysis on this seemingly similar circumstance.

Again, I don't mean to offend you, and I am thankful for your effort to make me aware of all the potential dangers of my situation. Please rest assured and know that I will be okay. I am sure I am much older than you suspect me to be, and have gone through my own fair share of heartbreaks, episodes of unrequited love, and serious bouts of depression. I really, really like this girl, not only because she makes me feel special but because, as much as I am able to, genuinely appreciate her personhood. Even though this appreciation is definitely generated by the hope that we could possibly be together in the future, just the fact that I am aware of that makes the whole process of thinking about her, liking her, wishing we were together a sobering experience. In other words, reality is being forged not by avoiding the situations that have previously caused me pain, but by reexamining that pain as it happens, faithfully working through it, trying hard to accept that what I will is not necessarily what may happen.

I hope that last point resolves the crux of our miscommunication.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Lol, other people's social circles details never cease to amaze me.

People need to start understanding that love is at least partly scientific. Some situations are so predictable and people do nothing to prevent them...

PS: (semi-related piece of advice, not saying it is the case) Stay away from people everybody likes. Considering there are so many different people out there, one must be VERY fluid indeed to be liked by everyone. Or it's a very superficial way of liking someone. I.e. not conductive of real love.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
you've been given some good advice already. here's my two cents...

think about what is real and what is, or could be imagined in this situation, and about the "what if"- loop. others have suggested various reason as to why she might have added the clause at the end. there could possibly be other reasons, too...

distance yourself a bit from your feelings for her and from her and see what happens when you see things more clearly. what do you actually want and what does she actually want? what has actually happened?

get yourself ready for what is real. :) if nothing else, it can be a learning experience.

good luck, friend. :)

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w9
People need to start understanding that love is at least partly scientific. Some situations are so predictable and people do nothing to prevent them...

Sytpg,
This statement confuses me, could you please elaborate?

get yourself ready for what is real. if nothing else, it can be a learning experience.

Yvonne, I am trying, God help me. Thanks friend!