User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Socionics
    ENFj

First of all you need to go after your own dreams. You can't let anybody but yourself tell you what kind of work you would like to do. You won't be truly satisfied with yourself until you go after your dreams.

OK that's step one, now to deal with your parents. Have you ever talked to them about why they want you to become a lawyer? Most parents care deeply for their children and want what they think is best for them. Why do they want you to become a lawyer? Is it the money, status, etc? Of all of these things, I'm sure happiness is pretty high on that list. Maybe they want you to accomplish what they never did. I don't know. Anyways, if you try and talk about why your parents push you to become a lawyer it will be a good start.

One way to convince people to think your way is to make your wants their wants. In your example, if your parents want you to be have money, remind them that law school will give you a huge dept from student loans. If it is social status, this could be a bit tricky as your value system could differ greatly. Perhaps remind them how lawyers can have a bad reputation for being dishonest. By being a fashion stylist/journalist you can help the world be informed on how to look their best. Having good looks boosts one's confidence and automatically raise one's social status.

Where I'm going with this is people are really not going to listen to what you want because they are more interested in what they want. If you can somehow find out why your parents want you to become a lawyer and convince them that they can accomplish their wants by you becoming a fashion stylist/journalist then you have the support of your family.

If all else fails, I'm truly sorry and will support you with others on this site. Follow the advise that the other people gave above and go after your dream. You may need to be broken down to be stronger, but your parents also need to be broken down by learning they can't have full control of their child's life anymore.

Now I don't know how far you were in the corporate world, nor do I know what your parents do for a living, but I truly hope this helps.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I feel you here.. I say, "Daddy, I wanna be a doctor!" and his first response is, "Not a lawyer? lolwut?"

The main point is.. they want you to succeed. A job like a lawyer is one they probably feel you're smart enough to accomplish, and it will create security for you with a job that you could potentially excel at.

The problem is.. you can't love a job you do with obligation and reluctance. You have to love what you do.. What you're wanting isn't a stable field, and although just as much work as a lawyer, the payoff could potientially never come. When you put aside all the emotions in it, it seems like a poor decision on your part.

But, emotions are a part of people, and they will always be. Do what you want to do, work hard at it, be happy, and be successful in something you love. They may not support it now, but they'll support your happiness later.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

When I was growing up my grandfather told me that I was "good at the wrong thing" because I was in AP English and he wouldn't pay for me to go to college unless it was something he approved of.

I ended up taking out loans to go to college later than most people do. My SP mother basically wants me to do whatever makes me happy, but she's in no position to help me financially.

I know what it feels like to be mocked by family, but you know what? You're an INFP. Your Fi will let you do what you know is right for you.

I drink your milkshake. Thessaly's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Yloh View Post
    First of all you need to go after your own dreams. You can't let anybody but yourself tell you what kind of work you would like to do. You won't be truly satisfied with yourself until you go after your dreams.

OK that's step one, now to deal with your parents. Have you ever talked to them about why they want you to become a lawyer? Most parents care deeply for their children and want what they think is best for them. Why do they want you to become a lawyer? Is it the money, status, etc? Of all of these things, I'm sure happiness is pretty high on that list. Maybe they want you to accomplish what they never did. I don't know. Anyways, if you try and talk about why your parents push you to become a lawyer it will be a good start.

One way to convince people to think your way is to make your wants their wants. In your example, if your parents want you to be have money, remind them that law school will give you a huge dept from student loans. If it is social status, this could be a bit tricky as your value system could differ greatly. Perhaps remind them how lawyers can have a bad reputation for being dishonest. By being a fashion stylist/journalist you can help the world be informed on how to look their best. Having good looks boosts one's confidence and automatically raise one's social status.

Where I'm going with this is people are really not going to listen to what you want because they are more interested in what they want. If you can somehow find out why your parents want you to become a lawyer and convince them that they can accomplish their wants by you becoming a fashion stylist/journalist then you have the support of your family.

If all else fails, I'm truly sorry and will support you with others on this site. Follow the advise that the other people gave above and go after your dream. You may need to be broken down to be stronger, but your parents also need to be broken down by learning they can't have full control of their child's life anymore.

Now I don't know how far you were in the corporate world, nor do I know what your parents do for a living, but I truly hope this helps.
    This is a tactic I've never tried. I've argued from many angles, but using my own values and desires rather than theirs. Definitely worth a try. Thanks
    With dreamers, pure and simple, the imagination remains a vaguely sketched inner affair. It is not embodied in any aesthetic or practical invention. Reverie is the equivalent of weak desires. Dreamers are the aboulics of the creative imagination.

I drink your milkshake. Thessaly's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

You are all so awesome.
    With dreamers, pure and simple, the imagination remains a vaguely sketched inner affair. It is not embodied in any aesthetic or practical invention. Reverie is the equivalent of weak desires. Dreamers are the aboulics of the creative imagination.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

If all else fails, find friends that share your dreams. I would actually prefer friends that supported me in that way over parents. Since I feel like I can get closer to friends. I don't like my parents to know too much about me. But it's difficult if they don't support you financially...
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Lol being an asian this is normal. All my parents want me to be is a doctor. But wtf, you have to go through 7 years of uni where i am, work long hours, and get normal pay = SUCKS

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE

Lightbulb

I got an idea:

Go for your NF dreams, and tell them it's an SJ dream.

For years I was abused by my family, but recently I came to my senses and banned them emotionally. They dont know it, it's just that I was so naive before and letting them have access to every part of me even though they didnt deserve it with their behaviour, so now I just put more walls in front...
    Luckily, I'm much more talented and capable than everyone in my family so even though I dont care so much about financial stuff, they do, and I'm not afraid that wichever path I choose I'll be more successful than they are... and that is security that they wont ever have power over me like they had.
    Its not that I completely dont love them, I just dont try anymore to have relationship with them, I'd still be devasteted if something happens to them etc.

So, if family doesnt support your NF dreams... and you already gave them many chances... they are bad for you and quit trying.. the faster you view them as limited people the faster you have more appreciation for yourself and your dreams.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    I got an idea:

Go for your NF dreams, and tell them it's an SJ dream.

You make a very interesting point which should be addressed on an MBTI board: their intention may not be to hurt, judge, or criticize her dreams but to protect her with what they view as a more stable choice if they are SJs (or even NJs). It took me years (and also learning about MBTI) to realize that often when my grandparents seemed harsh or closed minded they really wanted what they thought was best for me. I know that sounds cliche, but it's often true when talking about SJ parents or grandparents.