• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJs, your sense of humor

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFJs, what usually gets you laughing, or what is your sense of humor style?

For me, it's usually dry wit and sarcasm. Big fan of political satire, the dry witty one-liner. I also find English obsurdist humor funny as well. Sometimes I find irony and some incidences in real life funny as well.

I try to tell a joke, and it usually falls flat, so I use one-liners, or can have a bit of a mischievous/ smart-alec style humor, self-deprecation.

More of a dry humor person. How about the rest of you?

MacabreCharade

Often things that leave most people wondering. Jokes with hidden meanings. Sometimes come up with really peculiar stuff with ENTP's and find it funny. It can be something completely stupid, but just because how stupid it is, it's actually funny. Also awkward situations in a sense.
And when I mean stupid, it's usually pretty goofy. For example:

Person 1: "Want to hear a pencil joke?"
Person 2: "Sure."
Person 1: "What's the POINT!?"
Person 2: *Facepalms*
*Me and person 1 laugh at the other person who's suffering over the bad joke*
I guess this could be considered as trolling at some point. That's something that I sometimes go along with, but I take time picking the targets.

Oh yes, sometimes I'm ashamed of letting that side out of me, but it's generally harmless. I also have this sarcastic and cutting side to my humour, but that's saved for friends who can take it.

There's actually an ENTP friend of mine who I sometimes feel like I'd rather not know, because he's quite the arsehole and plenty of people really dislike him. And I often have to pretty much babysit him and sometimes try to talk him out of doing something cruel to people.

For me, it's usually dry wit and sarcasm. Big fan of political satire, the dry witty one-liner. I also find English obsurdist humor funny as well. Sometimes I find irony and some incidences in real life funny as well.

I try to tell a joke, and it usually falls flat, so I use one-liners, or can have a bit of a mischievous/ smart-alec style humor, self-deprecation.

I can relate very much. I'd throw the dry wit and sarcasm to being capricorn traits astrologically. (Pan was the god of theatrical criticism.) Capricorn F's aren't too common, in my opinion. Not sure what exactly you might be, but this could very well be the reason of your f.

P

Phantonym

Dry wit, sarcasm, irony all the way. "Intelligent" humour, one-liners, clever puns and word-plays will always do the trick. Intertextuality, witty references, the possibility to make connections that create the "aha!" moments are my favourite.

The fart jokes make me yawn. I can certainly laugh at anything remotely funny or even if it's not funny, which in turn makes it funny. But not everything makes me feel fulfilled. If it's something so funny that makes me laugh and cry at the same time, then it's the real deal. :)

As much as I hate seeing people humiliate themselves and being embarrassed in front of everybody, I do find something peculiarly fascinating in Jackass-type shows. I have no problem admitting that. However, seeing somebody heavily ridiculed, criticised and victimized, when people are just being mean and show off their "power" immediately puts me off. Being mean has never been my intention when making jokes and I certainly don't appreciate others doing that either. It's all about lighthearted banter, back and forth jabs in a friendly way (although, with good friends and with people who have the tolerance for it, it can seem as very obnoxious and mean-spirited communication to the outsiders :devil:)

Oh, I'm positively awful at telling jokes, I'm in stitches laughing because I can't stop my mind from immediately leaping to the point of the joke, so my "performance" is notoriously horrendous, which people find amusing to laugh at. Bastards. :laugh:

kingofdufferin

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I like british humour in most cases, and irony and witty one liners can be funny too. I have a definite line drawn in the sand over what's funny and what isn't though. Potty humour is never funny to me. If the joking around is careless and hurtful, I start to feel unsettled, especially when someone makes fun of insecurities or sensitive topics. I can appreciate parodies, but they have to be well thought out or they just seem corny to me.
I can sometimes come up with an amusing one liner, but sometimes I just can't resist a goofy pun.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
I think INFJs are great with puns. But their delivery, not as fantastic.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
In general, I would say my sense of humor falls under the category "Easily Amused."

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can relate very much. I'd throw the dry wit and sarcasm to being capricorn traits astrologically. (Pan was the god of theatrical criticism.) Capricorn F's aren't too common, in my opinion. Not sure what exactly you might be, but this could very well be the reason of your f.

I'm a Virgo. :)

I also forgot to add, most moments in Doctor Who.

Not a fan of stupid humor that you'd find with Jim Carrey.

I can handle Dr. House's remarks for some reason, despite I dislike it when people are being ridiculed and stuff.

P

Phantonym

I can handle Dr. House's remarks for some reason, despite I dislike it when people are being ridiculed and stuff.

Oh yeah, with fiction I have no problem with it, I quite enjoy it. But in real life I get a really strong protective sense and I immediately want to stand against people who are being negative towards others.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
Intelligent, knowing humor, especially dark-ish humor that finds giggles in the things I tend to also observe about human behavior. The delivery has to be on, too. A funny line in the hands of a clumsy person is boring, but delivered by someone with terrific comedic timing is terrific.

My favorite joke from my 5yo to date: "Why did the monkey fall out of the tree?" I dunno. Why? "Because it was dead."

People who are being ridiculous without realizing it are very funny to me. Parodies on ridiculous behavior leave me gasping for air, especially if watched with someone else with a great sense of humor. (I think it's because I appreciate the skillful insight into why people do the dumb things they do, and how effortlessly the can portray it. Think "Best in Show" or "John Cleese's How to Irritate People").

I get bored with slapstick, fart jokes, stupid crude humor and Jim Carey style stupidity.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
I can usually find some humor in most situations. I appreciate intelligent humor, like science jokes, or word play. I love dry and or sarcastic humor. I love dark humor. I love underlying humor, or twisty humor. I like true humor, as long as it isn't mean. I like cultural references and I love random thoughts that turn out to be funny. I love random thoughts that aren't funny too... I am quite easily amused actually. I laugh a lot.

I hate slapstick humor, and fart jokes, I also hate cruel humor.
Basically I hate stupid / base humor, but love most other forms. :laugh:

tsumatachi_san

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Intelligent, dry, sarcastic etc.

I like silly humour too though :)

scortia

MBTI Type
INFJ
I detest puns with a passion. I'd like to think I'm pretty funny. Not in a joke-telling sense, but in a clever, quick-witted, improvisational sense. Or I just make myself more of a clutzy, naiive goofball than I really am for the sake of getting laughs. Depends on my mood. I make my group of friends laugh more than anyone else does. I love dry British-esque humor and clever sarcasm. Makes the world go around,

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
INFJs, what usually gets you laughing, or what is your sense of humor style?

I think I have a fabulous sense of humor...

on the top its all dry wit, making random connections and snap comparisons. I am fond of puns.

At the same time, I like slap stick goofball stuff and dirty raunchy humor. I can laugh at just about anything except crazy ass ENFP type of humor which is all too random and not enough punchline for me hhaaha.

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
Gosh, it's like you guys know me or somethin'. :D Dry, ironic, sarcastic (not mean) humor all the way with a few puns and something just silly now and then. Crude humor, potty jokes and cruel humor just need not apply. I can't stand Jim Carrey or Chevy Chase (eg) for the record.

Intelligent humor, I forgot that one.

Last edited:

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
My sense of humor is very.... openminded, and filled with weird metaphors that apparently only I understand.

If I'm in a good mood ANYTHING can make me giggle (if only on the inside like: 'Ha, that's kinda silly')

My humor is crappy because I'm not good at speaking. Imagine forgetting the punchline right WHEN you need to say it. Yeah. It's like that. I do better with one-liners that, I guess, no one understands usually. When they do, though, I almost always get a little chuckle from someone. then it's downhill from there because my Fe goes: 'Ooo that made the mood go up! Do it again!' and my humor can't be funny on-demand. Lastly-in-this-paragraph, when the mood is crappy I seem to be the upbeat one. The little-bit-really-wierd one that turns into a clown. It happened backstage in one of our performances once. The drama-aura backstage was so black it stuck in your lungs like tar.

Robin Williams: Hell yeah! George Carlin: The first time through: Hell yeah! Dane Cook: Can burn in a fire. I like comedians that don't give me a 'douchebag' vibe. The good ol' boys of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour are pretty great too. I like Ron White.

I also like the Tiger Lilies, a black satire cabaret-type band. Their humor is as black as a cowboy's coffee (Jesus, Besotted Mother, Murder, and Suicide are good and black songs from them.)

Titler is funny because he belittles Hitler (heck, anything that belittles important things, or over-pomps small things is funny to me if done right)

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I like observational humor. That is not limited to Seinfeld type monologues, I also find a lot of humor in the absurdities of everyday life. Wry and witty observations are great. I'm not going to pretend I don't laugh at people who may not have been intending to be funny, but not in a cruel way. Sometimes I feel personal embarrassment for people in TV shows or movies so deeply. It is hard for me to enjoy humor based on humiliation even though its fiction. I feel like my sense of humor is kind of particular. I love it when I find someone who has the same sense of humor as me, because many people don't share it. Many sitcoms and popular raunchy comedies don't make me laugh. I don't find the self-injury shows entertaining.

I watched a lot of stand up comics growing up. Listening to people's funny stories is really enjoyable for me. I have a good memory and can tell stories well, so I guess situational humor suits me best. I like to be funny and make people laugh.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a male INFJ friend, and he actually has a rather T-ish sense of humor. Pretty crass.

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Sarcastic and witty repartee, amusing pop-culture references, satire from biting to really absurd (think the movie Zoolander, or The Colbert Report), observational humor (think The Office at its best). I don't like humor that I perceive as overly self-conscious or pointlessly absurd, e.g. almost any Wes Anderson movie.

I'm an absolutely horrible joke-teller and usually pretty shy when it comes to humor, but when my personal sense of humor comes out, it's usually in the form of sarcasm or funny observations.