User Tag List

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Default Externally Defining Yourself

I find that I define myself by my external world a lot. Who my friends are, how I currently stand with them, how much I am helping people, etc...

I know who I am and dont consider myself to have any insecurity issues.

Is this an ENFP thing? An NF thing? A extrovert thing? Or am I just odd?

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Typology is another means of defining yourself externally...just saying.

You're not odd. You're just finding your way through life. Don't worry about it so much. Let things unfold without watching too closely.

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Typology is another means of defining yourself externally...just saying.

You're not odd. You're just finding your way through life. Don't worry about it so much. Let things unfold without watching too closely.
    Its annoying. I dont like the fact that external situations can define how I feel.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Malkavia View Post
    I find that I define myself by my external world a lot. Who my friends are, how I currently stand with them, how much I am helping people, etc...

I know who I am and dont consider myself to have any insecurity issues.

Is this an ENFP thing? An NF thing? A extrovert thing? Or am I just odd?
    You're not odd I think it is an E thing. It's so interesting how the E/I difference affects type. It is more than just being outgoing or shy but how, like you said, it involves DEFINING yourself around the external world.

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

It depends on how you look at it.
    A lot of people define themselves through their external world, but may not like to admit it.
    I know an INTJ who defines who she is through her ability to quote movies and comedians and her work ethic.
    I know an ISTJ who defines himself through what he achieves in the outside world in the realm of work and school.
    I am an ENFJ and i define myself through my interactions with or observations of other people.
    The list goes on and it really does depend on what you're considering. I don't think humankind could get by without being defined by some external source. The better question is if you know what really makes you up from your internal/external world, opposed to a facade of what you are.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Unkindloving View Post
    It depends on how you look at it.
    A lot of people define themselves through their external world, but may not like to admit it.
    I know an INTJ who defines who she is through her ability to quote movies and comedians and her work ethic.
    I know an ISTJ who defines himself through what he achieves in the outside world in the realm of work and school.
    I am an ENFJ and i define myself through my interactions with or observations of other people.
    The list goes on and it really does depend on what you're considering. I don't think humankind could get by without being defined by some external source. The better question is if you know what really makes you up from your internal/external world, opposed to a facade of what you are.
    Absolutely.

Everyone compares/contrasts/defines themselves by an external model, usually they're unaware of it.

Most of us are not Kaspar Hausers - We've all grown up in places, with parents, with friends, gone to school, had jobs - These things influence you and affect the growth of your personality and who you inevitably become.

Granted, many introverts (especially those who fall in the IN-- types) seem willing to embrace some sort of solipsism and attempt a rejection of external influence, but if most of us would take the time to pull our heads out from our asses, we'd realize just how much our environments and their influences have had a hand in shaping who we are.