• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFP's and long-distance "relationships"

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Question for Eeh enn eff pees:

Introverts are often able to have some really great conversation through writing. Intense and fun and it builds to the point where the introverts eventually want to meet each other. My experience with ENFP's has been a bit different in that you guys seem to feed off of the energy of being with another person. And I've read posts on here that kind of say the same thing: We like people's energy, etc. Yet you guys are here posting on the internet, so you must get some enjoyment out of written communication.

Anyways, to the point: I'd like to strike something up with an eeh enn eff pee acquaintance that I know I won't be able to see for several months. I'm totally fine with that. The written communication, for me, is my chance to get to know her slowly and, ideally, it would culminate with me taking her on a friendly date when I'm in her area.

Does the idea of building a "written friendship" hold any value or is she more likely to think, "Just forget the pen-pal thing and call me when you get to town?"

Thoughts?

Malkavia

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
3w4
I think it would depend on the person. If an ENFP enjoys writing or reading and can feel emotions through words I dont think it would be a problem. The patience of waiting if its through the mail can get annoying though.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
just try it and see...i think enfps value connections of all kinds and i personally think it's cool getting to know someone you might not normally have the chance to. :)

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think it would depend on the person. If an ENFP enjoys writing or reading and can feel emotions through words I dont think it would be a problem. The patience of waiting if its through the mail can get annoying though.

E-mail would be the mode of communication. Or texts maybe at some point. For the introvert it can be ideal, but for the ENFP, maybe it's WAY more boring than hanging out with someone in person - in which case I won't bother.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
A few of my ENFP female friends love handwritten and old school letter writing. I like verbal and written communication, I think it's related to type and most ENFPs enjoy reading and writing emails, etc. I would say no harm in starting. She may not be very consistent writing back, but then you have that shared 'P' so maybe you don't mind and you might not be very consistent either. :laugh:

BTW, folks are really into skyping and video chatting these days, too. :laugh:

Emailing is a great supplement when you can't physically be near someone. I could write massive emails and I <3 receiving certain kinds of long, story telling emails. They are more like old school letters which I enjoyed writing when I was younger.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
just try it and see...i think enfps value connections of all kinds and i personally think it's cool getting to know someone you might not normally have the chance to. :)

Yeah, that's kind of the way I see it. Can't hurt to give it a shot. I just don't know that the things that ENFP's enjoy most about me really translate that well into writing/e-mail. With introverted intuitives, both parties enjoy the slow process of opening up and getting to know each other. With ENFP's, we usually just hit it off immediately (in person) and hit the ground running. If that's the case, I'd rather just contact her when I can see her, rather than bore her with the e-mails.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Emailing is a great supplement when you can't physically be near someone. I could write massive emails and I <3 receiving certain kinds of long, story telling emails. They are more like old school letters which I enjoyed writing when I was younger.

That's good to know. Stories she wants, stories she'll get!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, that's kind of the way I see it. Can't hurt to give it a shot. I just don't know that the things that ENFP's enjoy most about me even translate that well into writing/e-mail. With introverted intuitives, both parties enjoy the slow process of opening up and getting to know each other. With ENFP's, we usually just hit it off immediately (in person) and hit the ground running. If that's the case, I'd rather just contact her when I can see her, rather than bore her with the e-mails.

well if she doesn't love emails then you'll notice in the way she responds. she'll either be pretty enthusiastic about it and ask questions to encourage more back and forth or she'll respond with something that kind of closes the topic and maybe imply that she'll just talk with you if you come in town or something.

i should add that i have friends i email and im with and i love it...it lets me have social interaction even when i'm home...that's good for an extravert! haha :)

Malkavia

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
3w4
I think you should go for it. If you stay committed and write to her throughout these months I think it would mean a lot to her.

gromit

likes this
well if she doesn't love emails then you'll notice in the way she responds. she'll either be pretty enthusiastic about it and ask questions to encourage more back and forth or she'll respond with something that kind of closes the topic and maybe imply that she'll just talk with you if you come in town or something.

i should add that i have friends i email and im with and i love it...it lets me have social interaction even when i'm home...that's good for an extravert! haha :)

Apparently I just echo everything Lady X says.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Apparently I just echo everything Lady X says.
it's funny how often that happens on here! it happens to me a lot too. :)

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
I love letters and emails where a person shares their sincere expressions. And I love chatting back and forth with someone too, getting to know them better.

Although for the record, I don't think I could realistically see myself being in a long distance relationship. I love doing things, and I want to do those things with that special person I really care about.