User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default What are some reasons INFPs aren't well liked?

I don't mean that all INFPs are disliked by everyone, but what are some of the traits that INFPs share that can make some INFPs unpopular?

I'm in college now, near to finishing my sophomore year, and I still cannot make sense of it. I mean, I was really unpopular in elementary/primary school, then in high school was all right - not that popular or well-liked but about average.

Is it going to be like a popularity contest in the business world, too? Are there going to be cliques in the workplace?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by sgman View Post
    I don't mean that all INFPs are disliked by everyone, but what are some of the traits that INFPs share that can make some INFPs unpopular?

I'm in college now, near to finishing my sophomore year, and I still cannot make sense of it. I mean, I was really unpopular in elementary/primary school, then in high school was all right - not that popular or well-liked but about average.

Is it going to be like a popularity contest in the business world, too? Are there going to be cliques in the workplace?
    When you say "aren't well liked" do you mean actively disliked, or just that you're having a hard time making friends?

"OMG I FEEEEEEEEEL SO INTENSELY ABOUT EVERYTHING OMG OMG OMG GET ME A XANAX" -Priam (ENFP impersonation)

MBTI
    INFP

There are cliques everywhere.

You must rise above the need to belong to someone.

Belong to yourself, belong to your passions.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

what are some of the traits that INFPs share that can make some INFPs unpopular?

A few (most of which are initial impressions that can ware off in time):

Quietness, reservedness, aloofness, prickliness, general oddness, interest in "different" things which can seem "nerdy" (ie. usually not big partiers), passiveness & inconsistency with initiating conversation/plans.

Is it going to be like a popularity contest in the business world, too?

Yes. People tend to hire someone they like (which is understandable), not necessarily the best match for the work. I know it can be hard for this INFP to make good first impressions, especially in a job interview setting. People tend to grow to respect me & appreciate my contributions over time. Getting them to give me a chance is the hard part, not proving myself.

Are there going to be cliques in the workplace?

It depends on where you work & who you work with. There can be, but there doesn't have to be. I like to work places where people are not very close to each other outside of their job. We show up & work together, but we keep personal lives private. That tends to cut down any drama.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2

I was prom king in my high school, I was freinds with everone. even out of high school people like me. but if I would say that most INFPs have a head in the clouds feel to them, and most people that have very straight forward attitude dont like that
    "I put the fires out."
    "you made them worse."
    "worse...or better?"

heart on fire

It's got something to do with the aloofness combined with the Fi intensity.

Plenty of folks here are not shy about saying why they don't like INFPs, read their postings. PM me and I'll point you to the threads/posts.

MBTI
    INFP

Here are some things people don't like about me, and I'm an INFP:

- I express my offensive opinions when I feel it's necessary
    - I am blunt, straight-forward
    - I don't allow myself to be dominated/I rise to a challenge
    - I'm not very social, outgoing
    - I'm not very warm/open unless you've earned my trust

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

People hate me because I'm beautiful.

MBTI
    INFP

Thank you all for the replies.

@phoenix13: A bit of both, I guess.

@OrangeAppled: That was really helpful. In your experience, what kind of workplaces are clique-ish and which aren't? Have you ever made a switch to another department, company, etc. just because of the social environment?

@BRMC117: I think you're right. I've noticed in myself a tendency to hang back, and end up losing opportunities to connect or say something.

@disregard: I can identify with some of those. Sometimes there's just no other way to say things that people don't want to hear. If you say it in a diplomatic, weak manner, they'll disregard it.

@Udog: me too.

MBTI
    INFP
    Socionics
    INFP

dominant Fi can kinda lean towards self absorbedness sometimes, most INFPs I know go through fazes of that where they go soul-searching in a dark room somewhere, before emerging in a more tranquil state of mind later on, and being very willing to act as some sort of agony aunt for the masses, and the fluctuation between the two can really annoy less 'changeable' people. Feel free to disagree anyone if this seems wrong.

Kind Regards
    FalseHeartDothKnow

PS. I'm sure you're a wonderful person who many people like even if they're not open about it, you would have a chance for a fresh start with different people at the workplace if that's what you so desire, so perhaps it might be time to cut yourself some slack and start considering whether there's anything you wanna do differently this time around, Good luck, and keep smiling