User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 33

  1. #21
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    I used to be wicked when I was younger, but I've (somewhat) mellowed out (a little bit) with time. That being said, I'm 30 and one of the older members on here (age-wise). Last I checked, most people were around 18-24. That makes a big difference.

  2. #22
    Plumage and Moult proteanmix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    5,514

    Default

    Observing your actions, behaviors and how you come across to others I find to be a very easily distorted lens.

    I've had people tell me that they're very adept at "being a bitch" when it's necessary, but when they think they're being caustic and harsh it rarely comes across that way--which is sometimes good and sometimes bad. Conversely, some think they're consistently soft as cotton candy and others say blink and you'll miss it--which is sometimes good and sometimes bad.

    I recently had a coworker tell me how often they have to play the bad guy with their subordinates and I thought to myself "you wouldn't even bust a grape in a fruit fight." What I said is "I don't think you're as evil as you think you are. " The way she sees herself is not how she is generally seen at all. Another coworker was going on and on about how she has to lay down the law with people, thinking that's assertive and proactive behavior when people really just see her as inconsistent, petulant and temperamental. Neither one of them are accurately gauging themselves. I think these two find it difficult to be directive towards others so they think they transmogrify into these horrific beasts when they have to give out instructions, when they're not really.

    Now I have another coworker who told me they've had to work not isolate people around them because they simply didn't know how to speak to people. This person still lapses into that mode a few times a week, but they balance it with other things. They have more accurate self-perception and I tend to trust what this person says about themselves more than the previous two.

    The $64,000 question is how accurate is your self-perception of being harsh? How consistent is this across people you associate with? How do you know it's not one sensitive person thinking you're a big ol meanie or are you getting this from everybody? A key difference I notice between these people is the one who truly can be strident seems to think about it less often than the Great Pretenders. The other two are aware of the idea of how they come across, but not quite sure of how they come across. The other is aware of how she comes across, but the idea of it has to accessed so she can consciously change how she interacts.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

  3. #23
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    My guess? We are hiding what we feel, how we we care. To openly care for others feels like showing my flank, exposing my weakness to others. Exposing my gentler Fi judgments on people, rather than the harsher Te proclamation? The Te is typically "tough love". But very real love.
    Exactly. People don't seem to get it though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    I dunno why.... If I openly tell you how much I care for you-that means something huge for me.
    Definitely.

    Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    I am trying to work on this though-being more openly emotive as I do feel all this stuff inside and I think it is better to be able to actually express it-but yeah it is so weird, so not natural to do so.
    Yeah, being a male I'm glad I'm not too open about certain things, because, let's face it, being a man or a woman in our society is different...and you know, sometimes I don't even know how good it is to actually express it...but I guess it frustrates me when people don't get how much I like them because of the way I act...it's just a weird ENFP paradox. You'd think I'd be expressive in certain ways, but then there's that whole being authentic thing...and being authentic is being rough around the edges...that's how I've always been...so it's all weird.

  4. #24
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Is it more a matter of ExxP speaking before you think or is it knowing it's harsh but saying it anyway?
    The second. I'm mean when I want to be. It's about being reactive, I think.

    I'm an angel and a devil.

  5. #25
    Senior Member sculpting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    I used to be wicked when I was younger, but I've (somewhat) mellowed out (a little bit) with time. That being said, I'm 30 and one of the older members on here (age-wise). Last I checked, most people were around 18-24. That makes a big difference.
    I am 33-when younger I was so introverted nobody saw this. As I have become more extroverted it has become more obvious.

    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    How consistent is this across people you associate with? How do you know it's not one sensitive person thinking you're a big ol meanie or are you getting this from everybody? A key difference I notice between these people is the one who truly can be strident seems to think about it less often than the Great Pretenders. The other two are aware of the idea of how they come across, but not quite sure of how they come across. The other is aware of how she comes across, but the idea of it has to accessed so she can consciously change how she interacts.
    The real problem is inconsistency.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Yeah, being a male I'm glad I'm not too open about certain things, because, let's face it, being a man or a woman in our society is different...and you know, sometimes I don't even know how good it is to actually express it...but I guess it frustrates me when people don't get how much I like them because of the way I act...it's just a weird ENFP paradox. You'd think I'd be expressive in certain ways, but then there's that whole being authentic thing...and being authentic is being rough around the edges...that's how I've always been...so it's all weird.
    Stypg-I have seen quite a few male enfps who sound a bit like you. This is actually quite important-you have ISTJ listed as your type-reflecting our ISTJ shadow I presume.

    What about ESTJ? the overt blunt harshness... our extroverted nature combined with the TeSi at the bottom of our functional order? Think through it a bit...I see this the most when I need to exert control over a situation-especially in times where I need to protect myself emotionally. This is actually almost always as there are so few people I trust emotionally.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Malkavia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post

    Yeah, being a male I'm glad I'm not too open about certain things, because, let's face it, being a man or a woman in our society is different...and you know, sometimes I don't even know how good it is to actually express it...but I guess it frustrates me when people don't get how much I like them because of the way I act...it's just a weird ENFP paradox. You'd think I'd be expressive in certain ways, but then there's that whole being authentic thing...and being authentic is being rough around the edges...that's how I've always been...so it's all weird.
    I am open about it and because of that some people have asked if I'm gay . It can be awkward, but I still enjoy expressing how I feel to people so whatever.

    I think being a male and being an ENFP can definitely be a paradox at times.

    I do understand what youre saying though.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    Stypg-I have seen quite a few male enfps who sound a bit like you. This is actually quite important-you have ISTJ listed as your type-reflecting our ISTJ shadow I presume.
    Yep. There was a period when I distinctively noticed it's influence, but I feel in comparison to most ENFPs, that it has always been there to an extent.

    Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    What about ESTJ? the overt blunt harshness... our extroverted nature combined with the TeSi at the bottom of our functional order? Think through it a bit...I see this the most when I need to exert control over a situation-especially in times where I need to protect myself emotionally. This is actually almost always as there are so few people I trust emotionally.
    Someone has typed me as ESTJ before (admittedly, his knowledge of MBTI was limited). I think the Te is definitely present in the way you described in your earlier post. Si...hmm...I don't know where it would fit...I'm pretty I still use Ne and Fi a whole lot..it's really just in the way I convey the message that I often use Te instead of Fi....and now that I'm thinking about it, maybe, in the past, I've had the habit of stating things that COULD be (Ne) as things that would surely be because I've seen something similar [with a lot of BS thrown in] (Si).

    I've thought about that though in regards to MBTI in general though. It makes more sense that one would continue to be extravert (hence leading with the alternative extravert function - Te) instead of leading with the opposite one (Si). All I know is that when I have been in my poorest....I hated everybody (not really just wanted them away from me lol) and was VERY anal and easily bothered by stupid details I would never worry about otherwise.

    Talking about this is cool Orobas. You've made me feel like the healthiest version of an ENFP now. Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Malkavia View Post
    I am open about it and because of that some people have asked if I'm gay . It can be awkward, but I still enjoy expressing how I feel to people so whatever.

    I think being a male and being an ENFP can definitely be a paradox at times.

    I do understand what youre saying though.
    Sometimes I kinda wish I was gay lol...that way society would more easily disregard me as a weird faggot and I could be all peace and love and empathy


    PS: No offense Mr. Homosexuals.

  8. #28
    Was E.laur Laurie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    6,075

    Default

    I offended an ISFJ (that I just met this weekend) who let me stay over her house all weekend by calling her poodle pathetic. I didn't mean it that way, really, it was just a game and it said poodle and I know she likes poodles so I used the card. I know it said pathetic but really, I meant it in a good way!

    I've pretty much given up on not offending people and just stick with friends who don't get offended easily.

  9. #29
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Yep. There was a period when I distinctively noticed it's influence, but I feel in comparison to most ENFPs, that it has always been there to an extent.



    Someone has typed me as ESTJ before (admittedly, his knowledge of MBTI was limited). I think the Te is definitely present in the way you described in your earlier post. Si...hmm...I don't know where it would fit...I'm pretty I still use Ne and Fi a whole lot..it's really just in the way I convey the message that I often use Te instead of Fi....and now that I'm thinking about it, maybe, in the past, I've had the habit of stating things that COULD be (Ne) as things that would surely be because I've seen something similar [with a lot of BS thrown in] (Si).

    I've thought about that though in regards to MBTI in general though. It makes more sense that one would continue to be extravert (hence leading with the alternative extravert function - Te) instead of leading with the opposite one (Si). All I know is that when I have been in my poorest....I hated everybody (not really just wanted them away from me lol) and was VERY anal and easily bothered by stupid details I would never worry about otherwise.

    Talking about this is cool Orobas. You've made me feel like the healthiest version of an ENFP now. Thanks.



    Sometimes I kinda wish I was gay lol...that way society would more easily disregard me as a weird faggot and I could be all peace and love and empathy



    PS: No offense Mr. Homosexuals.
    oh...well now that's interesting! sy! maybe you...due to cultural environment...upbringing whatever...have learned to totally overcompensate for all of that sweet squishy stuff inside by playing...and in the process becoming...the tough guy...just stop it and embrace your inner hippie!

    edit: shit...don't be offended. i wasn't really serious.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  10. #30
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aurel View Post
    I offended an ISFJ (that I just met this weekend) who let me stay over her house all weekend by calling her poodle pathetic. I didn't mean it that way, really, it was just a game and it said poodle and I know she likes poodles so I used the card. I know it said pathetic but really, I meant it in a good way!

    I've pretty much given up on not offending people and just stick with friends who don't get offended easily.
    ugh...i think i offended a friend...or two even... last night. i wish people knew i am not placing any judgment or hiding any negative meaning behind my words.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Similar Threads

  1. [so] Being so/sx
    By EJCC in forum Instinctual Subtypes
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 10-16-2016, 10:10 AM
  2. DO NOT BE ALARMED: Change to the rep system
    By proteanmix in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 188
    Last Post: 05-07-2008, 04:43 PM
  3. Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity
    By ygolo in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-18-2007, 05:00 PM
  4. Why your diet may not be working like you want...
    By sdalek in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-03-2007, 08:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO