User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 11

  1. #1
    Amazing Spambot! Cloudblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    9
    Posts
    154

    Default I need help with criticism...

    I need help with criticism because whenever someone does it to me bluntly sometimes, my eyes start burning and watering and I feel like crying...
    Kindblue,from globalchatter...
    And still wonders were it has gone...

  2. #2
    Uniqueorn William K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    986

    Default

    Well, this is a tough one. It depends on the situation. Do you mean getting criticism in a 1 to 1 situation or in front of a group of people?

    In my line of work I need to present my projects and do demonstrations to the public a lot. So I tend to get a lot of feedback, sometimes good, sometimes not so good. What I've learned to do when I get negative feedback is to make it a learning experience. For example, if during a presentation I make a mistake and someone corrects me then it's a good thing. Can you imagine what would have happened if I said something wrong and everyone in the crowd just took that as the truth?

    It's the same thing on this forum. I certainly don't know everything about Typology and MBTI, and I do get smacked down sometimes when trying to be a wise, helpful INFP Sometimes finding out things you are wrong about is as important as finding out things you are right about.

    Of course, there will always be people who criticize just for the sake of it. They are certainly not worth getting all riled up over. If you are confident about what you are saying/doing, just shrug their words off. It's not like they can hurt you with it.
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

    appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

    I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

    The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

  3. #3
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudblue View Post
    I need help with criticism because whenever someone does it to me bluntly sometimes, my eyes start burning and watering and I feel like crying...
    I guarantee you that next time that happens to you, if what the person said angers you, or is obviously said for no other purpose than to denigrate you, if you can just summon the courage to tell them to go fuck themselves, that you will feel a whole lot better...for the rest of your life.

    I did that in fifth grade, and my life has been wonderful ever since. I am not kidding.

    Good luck!



    -Halla
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

  4. #4
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    This will be completely at odds with your entire thought process....are you ready? Here it is:

    Don't take it personally.

    Let me know if you ever actually get to that point & how you did it, because I am not there.

    What William brought out above works pretty well for mitigating the emotional response. If it's valid, then take it to be helpful, not an attack. If it's invalid or presented in an unnecessarily harsh manner, getting defensive probably won't change the person's mind, so don't let it get under your skin. Realizing the underlying motivations of criticism helps.

    Much easier said than done of course. I've found that staying quiet in response to criticism works okay too. That way I do not respond to it out of emotion in the moment. Once I calm down and consider it more rationally, then I can decide if it is valid or not.

    There are times when making a defense of yourself is justified though. If someone is simply trying to push your buttons, then don't waste your breath - ignoring them will foil their plans better.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

  5. #5
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    This will be completely at odds with your entire thought process....are you ready? Here it is:

    Don't take it personally.

    Let me know if you ever actually get to that point & how you did it, because I am not there.

    ...someone is simply trying to push your buttons, then don't waste your breath - ignoring them will foil their plans better.
    Can someone say million dollar post?
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

  6. #6
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    I don't think I'll ever be very good at this. I'm just thin skinned. I still cry and I still get angry and eventually I get over it -- mostly.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

  7. #7
    Emerging Tallulah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    6,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudblue View Post
    I need help with criticism because whenever someone does it to me bluntly sometimes, my eyes start burning and watering and I feel like crying...
    It may be because you're linking your own worth to your performance. If you can learn to disassociate yourself from stuff you do, it will be easier to deal with criticism. As long as it's meant to make you perform better. You have to learn how to embrace the negatives because otherwise, you're living amongst yes-men, and you won't improve.

    That said, if someone is criticizing you just to be mean, or to make themselves feel better, I find that a good trick is to call their attention to it. Make them own it, in a subtle way. Something like staring at them for a second or two with a semi-confused look and saying, "I'm just trying to imagine why you thought that was okay to say out loud." Make it a joke if you need to. Sometimes mean people gain power out of the fact that they're catching you off-guard and you don't want to start anything. Calling their attention to it means they have to think whether they want to embrace what they said, or they want to retract. If they keep pushing, draw a boundary. You now know for sure what their true motivation is, so why would you keep being polite?
    Something Witty

  8. #8
    Member MrRandom88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudblue View Post
    I need help with criticism because whenever someone does it to me bluntly sometimes, my eyes start burning and watering and I feel like crying...
    terrible terrible post go back and completely redo it...haaaa jp


  9. #9
    Uniqueorn William K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    That said, if someone is criticizing you just to be mean, or to make themselves feel better, I find that a good trick is to call their attention to it. Make them own it, in a subtle way. Something like staring at them for a second or two with a semi-confused look and saying, "I'm just trying to imagine why you thought that was okay to say out loud." Make it a joke if you need to. Sometimes mean people gain power out of the fact that they're catching you off-guard and you don't want to start anything. Calling their attention to it means they have to think whether they want to embrace what they said, or they want to retract. If they keep pushing, draw a boundary. You now know for sure what their true motivation is, so why would you keep being polite?
    Good call. Sometimes people may just blurt out things they don't mean to. And then our intuitiveness will jump to conclusions and see things that aren't there. Getting further clarification could help.
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

    appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

    I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

    The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

  10. #10
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    This will be completely at odds with your entire thought process....are you ready? Here it is:

    Don't take it personally.

    Let me know if you ever actually get to that point & how you did it, because I am not there.

    What William brought out above works pretty well for mitigating the emotional response. If it's valid, then take it to be helpful, not an attack. If it's invalid or presented in an unnecessarily harsh manner, getting defensive probably won't change the person's mind, so don't let it get under your skin. Realizing the underlying motivations of criticism helps.

    Much easier said than done of course. I've found that staying quiet in response to criticism works okay too. That way I do not respond to it out of emotion in the moment. Once I calm down and consider it more rationally, then I can decide if it is valid or not.

    There are times when making a defense of yourself is justified though. If someone is simply trying to push your buttons, then don't waste your breath - ignoring them will foil their plans better.

    This is a good advice.


    Especially because that harsh criticism may not be intended to be harsh criticism. So when you become defensive you are only intensifing misunderstanding in communication.

Similar Threads

  1. [ESFJ] Need help with an ESFJ...
    By MDP2525 in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-24-2009, 03:18 PM
  2. [SJ] Need help with SJ dad and my son
    By Poki in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-10-2009, 09:26 PM
  3. [Fi] INTJ Needs Help with Fi
    By Uytuun in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-08-2009, 12:03 PM
  4. [MBTItm] ESFJ's help an INTJ out, please. (INTJ female needs help with ESFJ male)
    By Harlow_Jem in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 07-25-2008, 07:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO