• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] NFP's and Sarcasm--Why Don't They Get It?

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't think there's a type that does this, I think it's just specific people.

:yes:

...I don't think sarcasm is that subtle of a thing, it's a low art form

I disagree. It all depends on how it's used. Anyone can change the tone of their voice to indicate sarcasm.

But using less common words, with dual meanings. Indicating seriousness with facial expressions, body language, and vocal intonation. Can make it quite subtle.

It's amusing when someone has a stick up their ass. And you are being sarcastic in response, yet the sarcasm flies right over their head.

Then they get all upset because you're smiling when they try to be serious, and they have no clue.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Non-NFP sarcasm is to NFP sarcasm as 50 cent is to Dr. Dre.

boondocked

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Eh, I've had problems with sarcasm unless I'm around a sarcastic person for a significant period of time. Then I start taking on their attributes, including snark.

But until then, I like situational wit much much better. Stuff like finding everything ridiculous and making fun of ourselves. I dunno, sarcasm's often just too deadpan for me.

HOWEVER! I have plenty of NFP friends who love sarcasm. I'm too gullible, maybe. Maybe that's my own thing :doh:

I've noticed that sarcasm is like a mother tongue though, that everyone speaks. Mehhhbye I should make more of an effort. :holy:

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
:yes:

I disagree. It all depends on how it's used. Anyone can change the tone of their voice to indicate sarcasm.

But using less common words, with dual meanings. Indicating seriousness with facial expressions, body language, and vocal intonation. Can make it quite subtle.

It's amusing when someone has a stick up their ass. And you are being sarcastic in response, yet the sarcasm flies right over their head.

Then they get all upset because you're smiling when they try to be serious, and they have no clue.

Well yes when it flies over their head it is amusing, I should clarify. I just meant the: "Yeah, lighting your head on fire, sounds like a REAL good idea" sarcasm.

When sarcasm flies over someone's head and they are oblivious to the social climate and the double entendres start flying around to heighten the dramatic irony, it's quite funny.

Also OneWithSoul: Are you serious or are you just trying to anger people? I am surprised no one has complained yet. :D

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I just meant the: "Yeah, lighting your head on fire, sounds like a REAL good idea" sarcasm.

Yeah. That isn't very hard. On here, sarcasm can be very difficult to notice. So you have to use the most obvious form, generally.

;)

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I try to make it as obvious as possible for that reason...it's supposed to put everybody at ease, but it seems to have the opposite effect with NFPs. They have to think too roundly, and the work to get there makes the joke no fun.

Yeah. That isn't very hard. On here, sarcasm can be very difficult to notice. So you have to use the most obvious form, generally.

;)

It can be fairly difficult to make sarcasm obvious, by nature. For T-type sarcasm, you say something that is obviously not true in a factual way, while for F-type sarcasm you say something that is obviously not true in a values/feeling way.

If the other party is ignorant of the utter impossibility of your kind of sarcasm, it can be totally missed, and they'll take you seriously.

If on the other hand, your sarcasm was really really really obvious and couldn't possibly true by either way of thinking ... it is far more likely that no one found your sarcasm amusing in the first place. :devil:

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I totally get sarcasm, it's just that other people don't understand my sarcasm. They're stupid.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not sure that i could make a blanket statement about who gets sarcasm and who does not.

I do know that NFP types might perceive the sarcasm, but INFP's who I know IRL in particular seem more apt to respond to the comment in a serious/solemn way rather than just laughing at it. So it might seem like they do not get it. But it doesn't mean they do not. It usually just comes off as wanting to ensure no one's feelings get hurt, so they take the "safest" approach rather than the one that might seem dismissive.

Then again, I get a bunch of SFJs who also take things seriously, even if they perceive I might be joking.

And I know that the more subtle my sarcasm gets, the more that people who do not know me will start taking the comment seriously. I've had to be careful, since I like to make comments in the "ambiguous area" -- a blend of overlapping seriousness and humor -- and sometimes I have been burned in return from those who couldn't perceive the nuance.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm reminded of the "sarcastic nun" skit on SNL many many years ago.

"What shall we do with our charity funds?"

"Go to Las Vegas and gamble it all away!"

(Nuns then go to Las Vegas to gamble away all of their charity funds.)

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
If on the other hand, your sarcasm was really really really obvious and couldn't possibly true by either way of thinking ... it is far more likely that no one found your sarcasm amusing in the first place. :devil:

Only because they have no sense of humor. :D

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I'm not sure that i could make a blanket statement about who gets sarcasm and who does not.

I do know that NFP types might perceive the sarcasm, but INFP's who I know IRL in particular seem more apt to respond to the comment in a serious/solemn way rather than just laughing at it. So it might seem like they do not get it. But it doesn't mean they do not. It usually just comes off as wanting to ensure no one's feelings get hurt, so they take the "safest" approach rather than the one that might seem dismissive.

I'm more likely to respond in a serious manner, with twice as much sarcasm in return.

Screw 'em if they can't take a joke. :harhar:

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I totally get sarcasm, it's just that other people don't understand my sarcasm. They're stupid.

Something like that.

I've been called, and I quote, "the king of sarcasm", but it's really only when i feel like it. If silly sarcasm switch is on though...you better be prepared.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
What people don't get about sarcasim is that laughing at you gets me off.

Snow Turtle

Hm...

I have trouble figuring out what's sarcasm these days and what's not. There have been times I've become extremely defensive over friends, when someone new comes along and starts insulting my friends by making sarcastic remarks about their behaviour. Sort of like "Ohh! Sims 3! That's soooo awesome!! Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!" - That sort of humour I don't appreciate since it's dark sarcasm, providing self entertainment at the expense of others.

I tend to just make things absurd instead. Friend gives me food, it looks abit weird...
so I make a joke about how tasty it'd be, even though I know in reality that it's probably going to be extremely tasty. So I'm just munching away: "I don't know why you keep thinking I'm being sarcastic, I really do mean that it's really really nice."

It's sort of like a double effect, joking about being sarcastic.

Is there a difference? Someone enlighten me.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
TODAYS MANDATORY TASK: Let everything you say today come out sarcastic or at least in a sardonic tone.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anyway, I have a really hard time with picking up on sarcasm and jokes, especially as a kid. I guess I just assumed people would always tell me the truth, so I would believe anything, no matter how ridiculous until proven otherwise, and then I would have a BIG loss of trust in the person with ANYTHING they said, even accurate things.

There are different forms of sarcasm, and this "practical joke kind" (for lack of better description) is not one I find very amusing. It usually doesn't seem witty or clever to me. I've fallen victim to that kind of sarcasm for brief moments, but then I catch on, roll my eyes internally, and deadpan them. The serious response is to communicate that I am not amused by their lame attempt at humor.