User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Around sensitive people, I try to make my sarcasm as obvious as possible.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx

Hmmm.....
    Love is the point.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Heh. Watch out if they have a penchant for irony.

example:

coworker: You're such an idiot!

me: *straight face* I know, right? I'm sorry

coworker: I was kidding!

me:

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I'm naturally very sarcastic but some people have a kind of sarcasm that occasionaly goes over my head. I react before even thinking about it and after a couple of seconds realize what an idiot I am . Maybe XNFPs start protesting before thinking because we wear our values on our sleaves and are naturally defensive about them. At times, I can be a little on edge and over-prepared for an debate.

But then, this might be nothing to do with XNFPs. Some people don't signpost their sarcasm well enough.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I love sarcasm as long as it is not caustic. People called me Daria as a teen because I can have a sarcastic & sardonic sense of humor at times (but I don't think I'm that dry, especially now). I also love absurdities and will say ridiculous things in a semi-straight manner, but many people don't know I'm joking, so I'm selective about it.

Anyway, the thing I love about my ENFJ friends is that our sense of humor is very insync. I find them more silly than sarcastic most of the time.

BTW, your humor sounds very silly sarcastic & not dry (which is harder to catch). It seems possible to me that the NFP is actually responding dryly to mock your silliness, and you're not getting it.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I love sarcasm as long as it is not caustic. People called me Daria as a teen because I can have a sarcastic & sardonic sense of humor at times (but I don't think I'm that dry, especially now). I also love absurdities and will say ridiculous things in a semi-straight manner, but many people don't know I'm joking, so I'm selective about it.

Anyway, the thing I love about my ENFJ friends is that our sense of humor is very insync. I find them more silly than sarcastic most of the time.

BTW, your humor sounds very silly sarcastic & not dry (which is harder to catch). It seems possible to me that the NFP is actually responding dryly to mock your silliness, and you're not getting it.
    that was my thought too...her reaction seemed purposely dry and unfunny.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

the internet is driving me insane.

(I think you sre seeing an Fe fail on the part of the NFPs.-we can hear the unspoken Fe components of the conversation.)

MBTI
    INFP

It depends. Sarcasm (or being sarcastic) has no virtue in and of itself. As has been said, it has to be at least somewhat witty to be funny. Merely saying the opposite of what you mean in a certain tone of voice isn't witty. If someone does that a lot it just comes across to me as being snotty.

I almost always enjoy dryness or irony. But people who have mastered that kind of humour are a world apart from high-school students (for instance) who love describing themselves as sarcastic and tend to use sarcasm for sarcasm's sake.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Oh whew okay this thread was made after mine was. YAY. I thought I had another observation FAIL.

Anyway, I have a really hard time with picking up on sarcasm and jokes, especially as a kid. I guess I just assumed people would always tell me the truth, so I would believe anything, no matter how ridiculous until proven otherwise, and then I would have a BIG loss of trust in the person with ANYTHING they said, even accurate things.

Case in point: Once I was in an internship, and I guess people were into bullying me for some stupid-ass reason. I don't know why. I was effective, good at my job, kept to myself, wasn't an annoying ass-rat or anything. I was much more shy and quiet before I turned 25.

Anyway, the people would pick on me by telling me things I had to do, and then laughing at me when I believed them. Finally I was fed up with the shit, and someone came to me and said, "Hey, we need an advertisement for underwear," with a smirk on his face. We were working for Catholic Community Services at the time, helping the poor and immigrants and all that good stuff.

So, I cocked my head to one side and said, "YOU EXPECT ME TO BELIEVE THAT?" I was fed up, "I'M NOT EVEN GOING TO LISTEN TO YOU ANYMORE!"

"No, seriously, we need it."

"Oh, yeah, right, like you needed X and Y and Z."

"No, this time we really do need it," (smirk and laugh).

"I'm not doing it until the boss tells me I have to."

Boss comes over, and bitches, asking, "WHAT IS THIS ALL ABOUT YOUNG LADY???? WE NEED A CAMPAIGN FOR UNDERWEAR FOR THE POOR AND I HEAR YOU DON'T WANT TO DO YOUR JOB???"

I was flustered. I couldn't really speak, and I was so upset, that I just hid in the back room for a while doing the stupid, dumb ass underwear campaign, grumbling to myself and fighting back tears. WHY THE HELL DIDN'T ANYONE GET IT? I was fluent in three languages, I was good at my job, and they treated me like SHIT.

After they realized that everyone pretty much couldn't stand me, they put me downstairs in the office doing busy work. I never really fit in ANYWHERE in that STUPID country.