• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] NFP's and Sarcasm--Why Don't They Get It?

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
*moves around the wall and sits between the two INFP's.*

Hey, pssst. There appears to be a fundamental flaw with this wall. It's two dimensional nature isn't exactly built to keep people out. And I don't think INFP's would have the ability to built one the size of China's. *peers around* Maybe you should build four walls.
Hey leave my perception of reality alone! *offended*

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
OMG! I spent this time on google images and I think I found somebody you can't say no to:

male-yellow-jacket-bee-costume.jpg

As long as he's not sarcastic it's all good.

Elfa

Señora Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
This is a point of aggitation with me...that my NFP brothers and sisters seem not to understand the concept of sarcasm.

No offense. It's just whenever I instinctively go for a sarcastic barb to say "take me/this lightly", they completely have no understanding that sarcasm acts as an accent mark...or even a tilde (~).

Despite the fact that I sound quite drunk at the moment, I'm not. This has been bothering me for awhile.

So, a two pronger:

1. If you don't get it, what is it about your personality that does not understand?

2. If you do get it, but instead choose to ignore it, I gotta say, that makes me feel a little like you're looking your nose down at me. No offense. Por Que!? When I let myself be this way, I am really revealing a deeper part of myself, and I am trying to engage in communication on a much deeper level (in other words, trying to grow closer to ya).

I am sarcastic both to get a point across, with a certain inclination, and to entertain my friends. It's my sense of humor. It's my universal translator (in every case, except NFPs). Some may argue that it's not the most mature form humor can take, but I beg to differ: "expensive" sarcasm, to me, is like a bar in a Motzart piece...it is human communication at multiple levels, that go so much deeper than the obvious spoken word. "Sarcasm", the word, almost cheapens it, but that's what it is. It isn't necessary negative, but rather, contrary. It makes light of a situation to us often, laden-with-burden NFJs.

So clearly, I'm confused. Anybody wanna clarify?

--Fuzzy

I think you shouldn't apply that to all NFPs.

Sometimes when I'm in a very very bad mood, I have to try hard to don't be sarcastic. In theses moments, I actually prefer to remain in silence than to ruin someone's moment due to continued sarcasm. :/

Last year, three guys in my college made a very very sarcastic and acid newspaper and distributed it around the college. I found the "news" hilarous, but many people didn't get they where just joking and felt offended. Then they gathered together, made a big discussion with those three guys, threatened showing the newspaper to police and, well, kinda forced them to stop making that newspaper. Well... I just found it funny...

I guess I can get sarcasm...

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
As long as he's not sarcastic it's all good.

I see your point.

So if he starts flirting (in a respectful manner), he can get away with some mild sarcasm since you are secure in his opinion of you, intentions (not trying to put you down) and generally cheerful outlook on life?

Willow

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
One of my closest friends is an INFP and she is one of the most sarcastic people I know

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I started watching this show and having a LOT of fun

Web Therapy

A RL INFP (Lisa Kudrow) makes fun of Fi in its self-absorbed state.

Self sarcasm.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I try to make it as obvious as possible for that reason...it's supposed to put everybody at ease, but it seems to have the opposite effect with NFPs. They have to think too roundly, and the work to get there makes the joke no fun.

Trying to put others at ease by patronising them is quite tricky, even for cuddly Fe-doms.

crimsonhaze

MBTI Type
INFP
I think most nfps are sensitive by nature so its a bit hard to like sarcasm. It doesn't necessarily mean that we don't get it, it's just that well its sarcastic and yeah, unfriendly. For me that is.

totalbrit

MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Lately I have discovered my humour is very sarcastic xD And I get Sarcasm just as quickly as any other person :D I like sarcasm as long as it isn't spiteful or hostile! Light-hearted sarcasm is healthy !!