• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Ne/Fi or Fi/Ne?

FalseHeartDothKnow

MBTI Type
INFP
Hi,
I was just checking up on functions and wondered how this particular function pair worked in two different positions. Since Ne is extraverted I understood it (but I might be miles off the mark here so please bear with me) that in both cases the Ne would be the face which the world would see. Any pointers please?

Kind Regards
FalseHeartDothKnow :)

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Hi,
I was just checking up on functions and wondered how this particular function pair worked in two different positions. Since Ne is extraverted I understood it (but I might be miles off the mark here so please bear with me) that in both cases the Ne would be the face which the world would see. Any pointers please?

Kind Regards
FalseHeartDothKnow :)

That's basically correct. With an ENFP (Ne/Fi), Ne is more pronounced - it's their standard mode of operation, while Fi "assists". Since their leading function is "extroverted", they are more or less extroverted people.

With the INFP (Fi/Ne), Fi is where they spend most of their time - what feels most natural, while Ne comes out most in the presence of others. Since Fi is an introverted function, they will (generally speaking) enjoy more alone time and time in smaller groups.

As to the specifics of what it's like to actually be an ENFP or INFP, I leave that to them to answer.

heart

heart on fire
Ne/Fi tend to be more cheerful. Tend to avoid dwelling on the darker emotions.

Fi/Ne tend to be more fascinated with duality, the contrast between emotions. Feel a need to understand evil.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Fi/Ne tend to be more fascinated with duality, the contrast between emotions.

That's interesting. I almost can't even wrap my head around what that really means. I understand what it means in words, but I'm not sure I've ever done that/experienced that myself. Can you provide an example of this?

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
First of all, I think this kind of thing is more true of enneagram type 4 INFPs, but here goes:

I think heart is getting at experiencing both the heights of depths of intense emotion. There can also be a tension within an emotional state, for example when melancholy combines both intense beauty and sadness. INFPs tend to be aware of multiple levels of emotion and the gradations and tensions between them. INFPs (especially 4s) are pulled both towards the pure and the profane, sometimes in equal measure. INFPs feel compelled towards absolutism, but at the same time feel the draw towards sensuality and subversion. Even as we try to be saints, we identify with the rebels and sinners.

Was that close, heart? Feel free to correct me.

(Also, as a more 5w4-ish adult, I don't identify with all of the above, but did more when I was a teen.)

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
First of all, I think this kind of thing is more true of enneagram type 4 INFPs, but here goes:

I think heart is getting at experiencing both the heights of depths of intense emotion. There can also be a tension within an emotional state, for example when melancholy combines both intense beauty and sadness. INFPs tend to be aware of multiple levels of emotion and the gradations and tensions between them. INFPs (especially 4s) are pulled both towards the pure and the profane, sometimes in equal measure. INFPs feel compelled towards absolutism, but at the same time feel the draw towards sensuality and subversion. Even as we try to be saints, we identify with the rebels and sinners.

Was that close, heart?

(Also, as a more 5w4-ish adult, I don't identify with all of the above, but did more when I was a teen.)

OK, that helps. Thanks. Interesting folks, you eye en eff pees

heart

heart on fire

Was that close, heart?

No, that's not really what I am gettng at. I am 5w4, 41 years old myself.

I mean the study of human hypocrisy, of how one can feel emotion on different levels and how it affects human behavior, how a person can be both good and bad and what it means. How we can be pulled in opposing directions by the opposing forces in our lives and how life is affected by this. How one can be living in the public and private worlds at the same time, how hidden relationships affect things, the secrets people hide from themselves.

When I talk about duality, I am not talking about studying the self as much as studying patterns in humanity as a whole (Not just INFP pulled between good and evil but all of humanity). It seems the perfect outgrowth of Fi focused Ne. What patterns are there in human emotion that affect our lives?

Steve Gouch ( I think I spelled that right) did a fascinating study on all sorts of duality.

William Blake had a good quote, if I have time later, I'll look it up and post it. He seemed really fascinated by duality too.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ne/Fi is more adventurous...actually not completely unlike Se/Fi in a very young ENFP, but with different motivations. Ne/Fi is more "open" with people. Ne/Fi is usually more confrontational too but that's because of Ne/Te tert loop I think.

Fi/Ne is more mellow and accepting, in a quieter way. Definitely not as expressive, but more deeply tied to Fi values. I think INFPs are highly likely to be 4s, but I think an ENFP would be more likely to be a 4w3 as a 4 because of the need for expression and approval...oh, yeah, I think ENFPs need more external validation than INFPs, even though we have Fi.

Um, hope this helps.

heart

heart on fire
I think INFP definately more quiet but hardly mellow. I can walk into a room and say nothing and someone is offended.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think INFP definately more quiet but hardly mellow. I can walk into a room and say nothing and someone is offended.

Ha ha ... I stand corrected! NFPs are intense.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
My personal feelings on this :

Ne in the dom would seem more inquisitive and outward, asking questions, etc and feeding those input to the Fi. This makes them more open and great to bounce ideas off.

Fi in the dom would be more inward, chewing the situation internally and using Ne (not necessarily verbally like an Ne-dom) to validate the Fi's conclusions. That's why we tend to jump to conclusions I guess, if we don't actually confirm what Ne is telling us.